Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my meteor microsim 3g or 2g?

Options
  • 11-02-2019 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Hi I want to get a feature phone as I just bricked my old one, if I drop 40 quid on another Doro 5516 I know it will work with my micro card but I was thinking of just getting a converter to convert it to a standard sim and a Nokia 105... but if my card is 3g I assume it won't work, as I've had that problem with the old fashioned feature phones before

The sim card is from a few months before eir decided to impose their awful brand on their meteor stuff, so like 2 years old? I read online that all 3g cards have 3g written on them, that would make it easy, is that true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Ok cool cool, I do have a meteor sim that is definitely 2g, I can ask them to swap my number / credit over to it

Edit: Nope I'm afraid I have tried multiple times to use 3g sim cards in 2g phones and they never work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If the meteor SIM hasn't been topped up in the last 6 months it won't register on the network even if it's compatible with the handset.

IME meteor SIMs up to at least 2 years ago worked in any phone (even a Nokia 6310). The more recent Vodafone and Three SIMs wouldn't work in a 6310.

The Nokia 105 is recent enough that it should work with a meteor SIM as long as the SIM is still active.

It wouldn't be a good idea for carriers to disable 2G on SIMs as there are plenty who use a 2G handset for calls/texts and 2G phones are still being sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

.... why would i not be topping up my phone? Left field :D I guess the information will be good for posterity, these threads seem to pop up on google forever.

I suppose that the sim is 2g enabled but when I put a 3g sim in a 2g phone it never works, I don't know why! I have tried it with 4 different phones and various sim cards and networks and this has been confirmed by people who work in the shops and have to order 2g sims especially for my choice of phone, maybe i have just been freakishly unlucky

Advertisement