Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

planning

• 11-02-2019 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭

My house is facing a lane but the gable is facing the main road. as you can build an extension onto the back of your house without planning permission would they consider the back of my house being the inside gable end which is the back if looking from main road if you can follow me thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Does the house have an obvious front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

No, the back of your house is the back of your house, so you already know the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

It has a front facing a lane. but the gable faces the main road, but planning say you are allowed to build at the back of a house looking from a main road ,so would the back be the other gable , as there is no room to build at the back as you look from the lane,

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the back of the house is the opposite side to the front of the house.

ive yet to see a house where the front isnt obvious (forget about where the road / land is, that doesnt come into it)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 doug82

bido wrote: »
    My house is facing a lane but the gable is facing the main road. as you can build an extension onto the back of your house without planning permission would they consider the back of my house being the inside gable end which is the back if looking from main road if you can follow me thanks.

An Bord Pleanala has previously determined that the front of the house is dictated by the front door, not the relationship to the public road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Many houses have a porch with a front door at the side of the porch.

I don't know the exact ABP decision in question (any chance of a link?) but I wonder is it as direct as "opposite side to front door"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

doug82 wrote: »
    An Bord Pleanala has previously determined that the front of the house is dictated by the front door, not the relationship to the public road.

Not sure that's quite right?

The front of the house is what was 'designed' or intended to be the front of the house, and the rear of the house is the opposite side.

As above, there could be a porch to the front of the house, with main entry door to the side of the porch, or there other house, where there is a obvious designed/intended front elevation, but with main entrance door to the side.

Where there is any doubt, a Section 5 application to the local authority is always advisable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭galway1973

What does local rules apply within 10 km mean for planning.?we have a house but would love to build our own.thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

galway1973 wrote: »
    What does local rules apply within 10 km mean for planning.?we have a house but would love to build our own.thanks

Talk to a local Planning Agent.
    Did councils operate different Local Needs requirements.

Advertisement