Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job Jitters

Options
  • 11-02-2019 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

Hope I can get some advice here or even just a chance to talk.
    I started a new job a few months ago, it’s a technical role with a former client of my last job.
    I’m uneasy and unsettled still. I don’t particularly like the team I’m working with, they’re generally a bit older than me. I’m home based also which I find difficult after managing a small, friendly team. I even miss my old boss who I always got on great with and know I had a lot of respect built up within the business. The new job offered a fair but more money and opportunity. I was 7 years in the last role with limited scope for promotion.
    Tbh if I had my time back again I’d never have left. I want to make a go of the new job and can’t just leave it anything drastic like that. Going back isn’t an option as I’ve been replaced by a former junior team member and they’re delighted with the new role (I would have had everything organized and very well established).
    I’m worried about job stuff as it’s all new and I never had that in the last job, never cost me a thought it was all so familiar and natural.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Stop looking back it will only give you a sore neck

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I always find it odd when people want to be friends with everyone at work. Why would you expect that, they’re just random people who work at the same building you do. They are colleagues not besties.

If there are one or two you find friendly that’s fine. Your not there to make best friends.

Focus on the technical stuff to settle you, your core reason for being there is to do work. Donit amd donit well and that will help settle you.

Do your work and get home to enjoy the lifestyle the extra earnings afford you. It’s only work !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I think it's normal to take a while to get settled into a job.

I would try to stay positive about things.

The items you've listed really aren't bad.

So try to be grateful for what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

_Brian wrote: »
    I always find it odd when people want to be friends with everyone at work. Why would you expect that, they’re just random people who work at the same building you do. They are colleagues not besties.

If there are one or two you find friendly that’s fine. Your not there to make best friends.

Not friends with everyone but a few mates in work makes the day a lot more pleasant. People aren't machines and they will stick around longer in a place where they can gel with others and have a bit of a laugh with their workmates a few times a day. 8 hours is long enough without having to spend it being some kind of robotic solely work-focused drone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Newjobdoubts

Not friends with everyone but a few mates in work makes the day a lot more pleasant. People aren't machines and they will stick around longer in a place where they can gel with others and have a bit of a laugh with their workmates a few times a day. 8 hours is long enough without having to spend it being some kind of robotic solely work-focused drone.

I definitely agree here and it's something I'm missing. Just a chat and general comradery is something you take for granted. Knowing someone is on the same page and supporting is an enormous help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Stay there until you 12 months in the job. If you still feel uneasy send out a few CVs and see what's on offer. At the end of the day 7 years is a long time to be at a company so any move was going to be hard

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I think it's normal to take a while to get settled into a job.

I would try to stay positive about things.

The items you've listed really aren't bad.

So try to be grateful for what you have.

Thank you. I suppose its always a gamble taking on a new job and everything is not going to be as perfect as you'd like. I need to give it 6 months to a year to get a full flavour of a fiull season with the new role.
    An issue I feel is that I'm now more subordinate to people (I managed a small team previous and never felt I had to explain myself as such). I think once i get established i'll be more autonomous and look after my own work.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Stay there until you 12 months in the job. If you still feel uneasy send out a few CVs and see what's on offer. At the end of the day 7 years is a long time to be at a company so any move was going to be hard

Thank you. Yes, there's no way I could leave before then and tbh it's not that bad or anything. Everything was so familiar and you knew where you stood in the last job.
    I supoose I was looking for a new challenge and my ex company always had a high turnover so there was a bit of grass is greener syndrome going on.
    I'm 35 and felt it was a good age/time for a move. I would have been one of the older, more experienced where i was.

Advertisement