Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cladding for Gable Wall

• 11-02-2019 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I've an ICF that was rendered in 2008. The house is on a hill in the Co. Galway and the west gable has suffered heavy weathering over the years which has caused the render to degrade.
    The south and east gables are in good nick and the north is grubby.

As the photos show; the west gable is in need of repair of some kind.
    I've ruled out applying render again as i'll end up in the smae position again in a few years I think.
    Options I am considering are applying a 'Thin Stone' to the wall as it is or applying a cladding of some sort.

Would anyone have any recommendations or suggestions? I'd appreciate any input as I'd like to get it sorted this spring / summer.

Thanks.

[IMG][/img]46150520405_b9f22a181d_z.jpgG3 (2) by Paul Carr, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]46150520645_80105f8627.jpgG1 by Paul Carr, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]46340312934_1636144de2.jpgG3 (1) by Paul Carr, on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

[IMG][/img]47064212501_d6f1d9d447_z.jpgG5 by Paul Carr, on Flickr

[IMG][/img]46340314584_e385cb7ddd_z.jpgG4 by Paul Carr, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 39 macalase

What kind of render is it?

I'm currently thinking of building an ICF house, so best to avoid what you used.

Its a -snip- render....

It has survived the weathering on the South and East face fine.
    North face is discoloured but still intact.
    West face as per the photos above is where the heavy rain and wind has in my view has penetrated it and led to the damage.
    The house is on a hill so very exposed.

I'm in Galway; if you would like to see it in person send me a PM.

The search goes on as to how to fix it..... really do not want to re render it again if possible. Would prefer to put something more suitable for the extreme west of Ireland weather.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP
    May I ask do you have kids?

Any ball players are around?

Would be interested to know what the 1. manufacturer and 2. installer had to say?

Slate would be a popular west facing extreme exposure finish in west cork, not sure about Galway?

Hey Bryan; thanks for the input.

Nope no kids in the house; just myself most of the time.

I had considered slate but it would not be high on the list as a solution.

I had the ICF installer out as could not get in touch with the original plasterer and had another builder fella out too who wasn't overly surprised @ that gable having issues considering its west facing and subject to that driving rain we sometimes get.

A solution will hopefully be found soon...... the thinking cap is on!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

islanderre wrote: »
    Hey Bryan; thanks for the input.

Nope no kids in the house; just myself most of the time.

I had considered slate but it would not be high on the list as a solution.

I had the ICF installer out as could not get in touch with the original plasterer and had another builder fella out too who wasn't overly surprised @ that gable having issues considering its west facing and subject to that driving rain we sometimes get.

A solution will hopefully be found soon...... the thinking cap is on!!!

1. So you haven’t had the manufacturer out. But yet you them.
    2. Assume this was a self build? So you are the main contractor?
    3. And the plasterer was different to the icf system installer, so no warranty was provided?

BryanF wrote: »
    1. So you haven’t had the manufacturer out. But yet you them.
    Not sure what you mean there Bryan.... No I have not had the manufacturer out.... was plastered back in 08 IIRC
    2. Assume this was a self build? So you are the main contractor? Yes; it was a self build.... I got the trades men in step by step
    3. And the plasterer was different to the icf system installer, so no warranty was provided?
    Correct; Again.... I stress the wind driven rain impacting it is IMO the route cause.
    I presume you've seen a render in person.... it's a very light coating in comparison to sand & cement.
    Often the big window on the sun room that may be seen in the picture would be flexing with the wind & rain so the thin layer of render would be past its limits I'd think to be able to withstand that year after year.
    The other walls are good overall bar the north which is grubby simply from algae growth and bird droppings.

Advertisement