Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incident at Roscommon hotel (asylum seekers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Kivaro wrote: »
    Good riddance to the Social Democrats for falling on their virtue signalling sword. Nobody should vote for them due to the bit in bold above.
    The "asylum seeker" lied in her "asylum" application. She should be deported and shame on any political party who continues to support her.

Loos like she got her asylum decision soon after arriving. So the system does work....at least until the legal industry gets involved and starts to extract their pound of flesh over and over again
    http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/0/CCFD0D0194D18C8F80257FD4004F7C99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yes, thats about it. Lough Rynn is more a destination resort than a commercial hotel where you could arrange a meeting, meet for a coffee, stay in a regular hotel etc etc. Westward, the next nearest would be the Abbey Hotel in Roscommon town so at the end of the day you have a 35 miles circle in the middle of South Leitrim / North Roscommon with no hotel. I`m not including "Keenans Boutique Hotel" in Termonbarry, despite its name and a good spot, its not really a hotel.

Coincidentally, since the redrawing of the electoral boundaries, Leitrim is now a TD disenfranchised zone, maybe thats why the area gets forgotten about

Now where is Ming Flanagan when you need him...............he`s been very quiet recently

I forgot about the Percy French in Strokestown at 17.2km from Rooskey.

As for Keenans, it may be small but it's perfectly formed. Great food, personal service and lot's of atmosphere.

The circle you describe is part of "hidden Ireland" and well worth visiting. Whether it can sustain heavily borrowed hotels is another issue. I have seen a lot of hotels get into trouble, not because they lacked business but because they owed too much to the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

jay0109 wrote: »
    Loos like she got her asylum decision soon after arriving. So the system does work....at least until the legal industry gets involved and starts to extract their pound of flesh over and over again
    http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/0/CCFD0D0194D18C8F80257FD4004F7C99

If i read it correctly she was refused and then it was sent to the appeals court?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 SKILFUL

Roscommon will not be the next rotherham
    Soros shills go to hell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 SKILFUL

SKILFUL wrote: »
    Roscommon will not be the next rotherham
    Soros shills go to hell

One way no refunds

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

If you offered people in dublin houses in Laois I'd say the bulk of them would turn them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Finally got around to listening to that Ellie kisyombe yokes’ interview on Matt cooper.

From early on in the interview her disingenuous and plain deceitful, sneaky and arrogant attitude shines through.

She trips herself up many times when asked basic questions about her asylum process history and why she is even here

Laughing like a half wit at the end to try and cover up the absolute sh1t storm of lying

I’ll restrain myself and simply say, What a utter brazen chancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Finally got around to listening to that Ellie kisyombe yokes’ interview on Matt cooper.

From early on in the interview her disingenuous and plain deceitful, sneaky and arrogant attitude shines through.

She trips herself up many times when asked basic questions about her asylum process history and why she is even here

Laughing like a half wit at the end to try and cover up the absolute sh1t storm of lying

I’ll restrain myself and simply say, What a utter brazen chancer.
    Ellie or Cooper? Or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The supply of the 22 homes will be part of the local authority’s ‘Rebuilding Ireland’ home delivery targets for this year.

Surely going home and rebuilding Syria would be better, no??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

El_Bee wrote: »
    If you offered people in dublin houses in Laois I'd say the bulk of them would turn them down.

Well unless you are in a position to make that offer to everyone in Dublin on the housing list and get a no from the bulk of them, then I'd say your "I'd say" is pure and utter speculation, ie your opinion based on zero facts. Id say out of all the people on the housing list, People in the local vicintiy and even Dublin would be a good place to offer, a better straight run on a main route with transport if they want to visit relatives/friends or visa versa. Having said that, I dont know why you specified Dublin, Im sure there are still plenty of people within a short distance or anywhere in Ireland who'd be happy to take up those houses, you're saying you think they cant locate 22 families in all of Ireland that would leap at the chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dingledosser

Stephen15 wrote: »
    So Rowan Croft once again proving to be the true patriot he is.

True patriot? The man swore an oath to the British Crown, he was a soldier in the British Army for years. That's a strange patriot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Calhoun wrote: »
    If i read it correctly she was refused and then it was sent to the appeals court?

Arrived in Ireland in April 2011 (after having lived in England for a few years), but didn't claim asylum until November 2011.
    Application denied in January 2012 as she had left it too long to claim asylum in the first place.

That's a pretty quick turn around. So much for the process taking "too long".

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

1874 wrote: »
    Well unless you are in a position to make that offer to everyone in Dublin on the housing list and get a no from the bulk of them, then I'd say your "I'd say" is pure and utter speculation, ie your opinion based on zero facts. Id say out of all the people on the housing list, People in the local vicintiy and even Dublin would be a good place to offer, a better straight run on a main route with transport if they want to visit relatives/friends or visa versa. Having said that, I dont know why you specified Dublin, Im sure there are still plenty of people within a short distance or anywhere in Ireland who'd be happy to take up those houses, you're saying you think they cant locate 22 families in all of Ireland that would leap at the chance?

Well the practicalities of uprooting you and yours away from your friends and family would be the biggest roadblock for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Have you any comment to make on people from Laois on the housing list or do you imagine Dublin is the only place a list exists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Well the practicalities of uprooting you and yours away from your friends and family would be the biggest roadblock for most people.

Luckily people who can't afford to buy a house near the city and have to buy in the commuter belt and beyond never have to worry about that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Plans for the hotel scrapped. A sudden leasing issue....

DP centre in Rooskey is not happening.

"The Department of Justice has confirmed that a plan to provide an accommodation centre for asylum seekers at a disused hotel in Rooskey, Co Leitrim, will not now go ahead.

An issue over the lease of the property, which was damaged in two arson attacks in the last four months, is the reason not to proceed.

In a statement, the department said the decision was taken after legal advice from the Chief State Solicitors Office, "which found difficulties with the lease agreement between the owners of the hotel, and the operator renting it, which made proceeding with the proposed centre unviable".

The department said it is committed to sourcing suitable accommodation for asylum seekers and a "regional procurement process" is under way.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1037705/?__twitter_impression=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

DP centre in Rooskey is not happening.

"The Department of Justice has confirmed that a plan to provide an accommodation centre for asylum seekers at a disused hotel in Rooskey, Co Leitrim, will not now go ahead.

An issue over the lease of the property, which was damaged in two arson attacks in the last four months, is the reason not to proceed.

In a statement, the department said the decision was taken after legal advice from the Chief State Solicitors Office, "which found difficulties with the lease agreement between the owners of the hotel, and the operator renting it, which made proceeding with the proposed centre unviable".

The department said it is committed to sourcing suitable accommodation for asylum seekers and a "regional procurement process" is under way.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1037705/?__twitter_impression=true

LOL it took them two arson attacks to figure that out. PR bull.

Locals got what they wanted. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Absolute nonsense.

Go have a look at Portarlington some day and see how many Tallaght accents you hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Well many of our further-to-the-right posters have been saying Ireland would fold to terrorism if faced with it, and indeed that is what has happened.

Somehow I don't think those posters will be so concerned though, on this count. Many of them seem to be in favour of terrorism when it suits their agenda, which I can't say is even slightly surprising.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Well many of our further-to-the-right posters have been saying Ireland would fold to terrorism if faced with it, and indeed that is what has happened.

Somehow I don't think those posters will be so concerned though, on this count. Many of them seem to be in favour of terrorism when it suits their agenda, which I can't say is even slightly surprising.

So are you saying this DP centre not going ahead is a consequence of the 2 arson attacks? How do you know that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

declan2693 wrote: »
    LOL it took them two arson attacks to figure that out. PR bull.

Locals got what they wanted. Fair play.

Communities are terrified of large amounts of asylum seekers now.

They look at the likes of Balbriggan, that was once an "up and coming" commuter town for Dublin (Next big town after Swords similar in size to Naas), but is now an absolute sh*thole. Gangs of asylum seekers of kids, terrorising the locals and the neighboring towns up and down the train line.

Even look at the difference in house prices between Naas and Balbriggan, Naas is way more expensive despite the fact Balbriggan is at the coast and is better served by public transport.

Top search result for Balbriggan is balbriggan gangs

No one wants them, myself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I was surprised that RTE actually reported the origins of these asylum seekers destined for Roscommon on the news tonight. In the past, they (and posters on here) were trying to give the impression that the Rooskey asylum seekers were war-torn refugees from Syria. The reality is that they were from North Africa and "Asia" (usually the code word for Pakistan). If that's the case, then the presumption is that they are economic refugees and not asylum seekers.

It's a pity that the likes of RTE, and the Liberal Left usually try to conflate the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I was surprised that RTE actually reported the origins of these asylum seekers destined for Roscommon on the news tonight. In the past, they (and posters on here) were trying to give the impression that the Rooskey asylum seekers were war-torn refugees from Syria. The reality is that they were from North Africa and "Asia" (usually the code word for Pakistan). If that's the case, then the presumption is that they are economic refugees and not asylum seekers.

It's a pity that the likes of RTE, and the Liberal Left usually try to conflate the two.

Why do you associate Pakistan with "economic refugees"?

Goverment will try to keep the whole asylum seekers and hotels quiet until after May local elections.

There has been activity at an old hotel in Tramore in recent weeks with speculation it might be the towns second DP center. Hopefully locals fight against it.

The type fit in nicely with "Ireland 2040"....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

I don't think its fair to be tarring Rooskey with some sort of rascist brush like what RTE is doing. I was listening to the evening news thing on RTE radio 1, they were on about this and the presenter was really making the sort of impression the locals were against this centre coming down into their locality mainly because it was all about "foreigners" staying there.
    Look,places like Rooskey have been completely ignored infrastructure wise for the last 30 years, no facilities, no jobs, no decent broadband. But yeah send down a big number of people there to do just what exactly? If there was infrastructure in place to deal with accommodating these people the locals wouldn't have a problem.
    If the government said to people in Rooskey, we'll get 400-500 jobs set up in your locality, a new school, decent broadband, a health centre, new housing on the proviso ye take in a number of refugees, those people would roll out the red carpet. The government and RTE needs to realise you can't feed people nothing, give them no decent change to enhance their community and expect them to tolerate a situation where a large number of other people are just going to come in and hopefully make do with nothing either. It won't work. F**king RTE radio 1 was a disgrace today. I kept thinking back to the evening the data centre in Athenry went wallop, the presenter Mary Wilson was almost in total glee that Athenry wasn't going to get it, but today, yeah today's decision was a total evil disaster.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Odhinn wrote: »
    Ask our neighbours in the UK.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Since Brexit vote was announced and voted on hundreds have tried to claim asylum here after outstaying there visa in UK

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/young-pakistani-men-flee-uk-and-flood-into-ireland-31248564.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Its a fact, has been for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

If you ask me the asylum seekers had a narrow escape - five years living up the road in Ballygobackwards aka Dromod, nearly did for me. :D

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Its a fact, has been for a long time

Whereas theres no doubt some from there who are "economic refugees", there are genuine asylum cases from the Shia and Christian communities.

Whereas theres no doubt some from there who are "economic refugees", there are genuine asylum cases from the Shia and Christian communities.
    That's quite possibly true Odhinn.

So here's my question: How many "safe" countries did they pass through on the way from Pakistan to our social welfare mecca that we have here in Ireland?

A genuine asylum seeker escaping war and the possibility of death or torture would only be too happy to accept shelter in the nearest accommodating country. Not travel all the way to the farthest western edges of Europe ......... unless there is another reason why Ireland was selected.

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    If you ask me the asylum seekers had a narrow escape - five years living up the road in Ballygobackwards aka Dromod, nearly did for me. :D

Bet you miss the train service :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I would imagine that is very small percentage. I even know Muslims who are not mad keen on Pakistanis as they believe many are not willing to intergrate and have a third world mentality despite living in the west.

That's q(.........)cted.

Your opinion on what asylum seekers may or may not do are entirely irrevelant. Theres no obligation to settler in some "first safe country".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Your opinion on what asylum seekers may or may not do are entirely irrevelant. Theres no obligation to settler in some "first safe country".

There is no obligation on anyone to accept the first meal they are offered. Its pretty hard for them to claim to be hungry when they do reject that meal, and the next 8 or 9 alternatives they are offered. You have to remember, the entire basis for modern refugee law was the post-WW2 situation in Europe. At no point were the judgements made in that scenario intended to be abused to serve global welfare tourism. Given the mood of European electorates, you may have cause to regret abusing their good faith and trust.

Sand wrote: »
    Given the mood of European electorates, you may have cause to regret abusing their good faith and trust.

This was seen today in what was once the most liberal of all liberal countries in Europe. From Politico.eu: Far-right populist newcomer Forum for Democracy stunned the Dutch political establishment after winning the most votes in provincial elections, according to a preliminary count today of almost all the votes.

One of the quotes after that victory was:
    “we are undermined by our universities, our journalists … and administrators.”
    And this is happening all over Europe. They've had enough.

The asylum process is a scam. The amount of genuine asylum applicants in Ireland is infinitesimal. Everybody knows it's a scam, but the reason why it flourishes in Ireland is because of the vested interests. Look at the amount of millionaire solicitors in the country whose sole purpose are the multiple appeals of asylum seekers. Look at the NGO's whose directors and board's lifestyle depend on a constant stream of asylum seekers into Ireland. Then you have the 3rd largest political party in Ireland (Sinn Fein) advocating for a completely open border to everyone who wants to come here. They want us (the tax payers) to pay for the housing, healthcare, schooling, social welfare of anyone from anywhere on the planet who want to move to Ireland.

All of this is going to break soon ...... because we've had enough too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

This was seen today in what was once the most liberal of all liberal countries in Europe. From Politico.eu: Far-right populist newcomer Forum for Democracy stunned the Dutch political establishment after winning the most votes in provincial elections, according to a preliminary count today of almost all the votes.

One of the quotes after that victory was:
    “we are undermined by our universities, our journalists … and administrators.”
    And this is happening all over Europe. They've had enough.

The asylum process is a scam. The amount of genuine asylum applicants in Ireland is infinitesimal. Everybody knows it's a scam, but the reason why it flourishes in Ireland is because of the vested interests. Look at the amount of millionaire solicitors in the country whose sole purpose are the multiple appeals of asylum seekers. Look at the NGO's whose directors and board's lifestyle depend on a constant stream of asylum seekers into Ireland. Then you have the 3rd largest political party in Ireland (Sinn Fein) advocating for a completely open border to everyone who wants to come here. They want us (the tax payers) to pay for the housing, healthcare, schooling, social welfare of anyone from anywhere on the planet who want to move to Ireland.

All of this is going to break soon ...... because we've had enough too.

What's this we business paleface??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's not just "opinion" though,is it ......... ?
    Posted by Kivaro...That's quite possibly true Odhinn.

So here's my question: How many "safe" countries did they pass through on the way from Pakistan to our social welfare mecca that we have here in Ireland?

A genuine asylum seeker escaping war and the possibility of death or torture would only be too happy to accept shelter in the nearest accommodating country. Not travel all the way to the farthest western edges of Europe ......... unless there is another reason why Ireland was selected.

Kivaro poses a Question regarding the number & variety of States which may,and sometimes do,offer succor and safety to such unfortunates,many of which are geographically and culturally closer to those fleeing Pakistan.

I see no mention in Kivaro's post about "obligations" on anybody to "settle" in these places,however it remains a valid Question,as to the motivations,and wherewithal that enables such folk to achieve such success in their endeavours to reach our distant little Republic.

I would suggest that,in many cases,such questions are extremely relevant,yet largely go unasked,at least in an unbiased manner,by the various agencies now overseeing how Ireland should respond to such cases.

The question as posed,may well be worth a punt to answer...ie: Is there another reason,other than "immediate place of safety",to explain Irelands growing popularity as a destination,amongst that regions population ?

But,with Pakistan hoping to have it's own astronaut in space by 2021,it may reduce some of the pressure on our little European outpost ?

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/nation/dubai/pakistan-shows-interest-in-uaes-space-programme-

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Not sure it's an early April fools day prank, but read this earlier:

London: The Bishop of Durham has attacked the UK Home Office for rejecting an asylum seeker after it quoted the Bible to argue Christianity is "not a peaceful religion"...

Assuming his conversion was actually genuine, he may have actually become at risk in Iraq for converting, hence seeking refuge.

Instead the Home Office wrote a lengthy and "unbelievably offensive" refusal letter, quoting six instances in the Book of Revelation of "revenge, destruction, death and violence.
    The Book of Revelation is based on some future 'end-times sceanario', so isn't going to be all light hearted parables or well meaning banter about fish n' wine.

Meanwhile little if any Christians from Syria were offered sancturay in the uk (less than 1 in 400), despite “horrendous persecution”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

buried wrote: »
    I don't think its fair to be tarring Rooskey with some sort of rascist brush like what RTE is doing.

People have to understand that for a place the size of Rooskey and other towns and villages around the country - putting in even just 30 - 50 families can change the demographic and economic profile of the town overnight.

It's an enormous change.

It's no wonder people in towns like this are nervous.

They know the issues in the UK. As mentioned Balbriggan is on the downward spiral that has been experienced in towns around Europe.

It's irrecoverable. Once word is out (whether it's factual or not), the reputation and appeal of the town is destroyed. The "natives" either move out or simply refuse to move there. It becomes a ghetto.

No one wants that.

People have to understand that for a place the size of Rooskey and other towns and villages around the country - putting in even just 30 - 50 families can change the demographic and economic profile of the town overnight.

It's an enormous change.

They know the issues in the UK. As mentioned Balbriggan is on the downward spiral that has been experienced in towns around Europe.

It's irrecoverable. Once word is out (whether it's factual or not), the reputation and appeal of the town is destroyed. The "natives" either move out or simply refuse to move there. It becomes a ghetto.

No one wants that.

Today was a little victory. More to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The question as posed,may well be worth a punt to answer...ie: Is there another reason,other than "immediate place of safety",to explain Irelands growing popularity as a destination,amongst that regions population ?

There absolutely is: We are English speaking

The reality is all throughout Africa and the Middle East, most people speak their native language and either English or French.
    Why? Well because the English and French conquered the world and forced their language upon the people the conquered (Ourselves included)

So if you're an economic migrant, you're going to go where you can work. In order to "work" you need to be able to speak the language.
    So this is why they come here.

The problem is when they get here they cannot work as they're in direct provision (which just causes problems in itself)

I don't have a solution here.
    We either let them in or we don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I would imagine that is very small percentage. I even know Muslims who are not mad keen on Pakistanis as they believe many are not willing to intergrate and have a third world mentality despite living in the west.

What does that even mean? Could you be any more vague.

Pakistanis are Muslims too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Today was a little victory. More to come.

Yay arson! :rolleyes:

As an advocate of people talking the law into their own hands, hope you never fall out with your neighbours (although there is no evidence whether the person(s) who did this are local or not.)

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's an enormous change.

No one wants that.
    Well the reputation and appeal of Rooskey is destroyed now anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

declan2693 wrote: »
    What does that even mean? Could you be any more vague.

Pakistanis are Muslims too.

Not all Pakistanis are Muslim though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement