Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Incident at Roscommon hotel (asylum seekers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

People have to understand that for a place the size of Rooskey and other towns and villages around the country - putting in even just 30 - 50 families can change the demographic and economic profile of the town overnight.

It's an enormous change.

It's no wonder people in towns like this are nervous.

Well no, that is just complete nonsense isn't it?

It was to be used as a process centre for largely Syrian refugees who would have been re-homed in other parts of the county / country.

There is no plan for them to arrive immediately and start evicting locals by compulsory tillage of all available bungalows, booting Mary out of the Post Office/SparButcher/Hardware shop and replacing her with Marah.

Hyperbolic nonsense based on little but prejudice and ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Well the reputation and appeal of Rooskey is destroyed now anyway

I doubt it will have much effect as the village depends on visitors from the Shannon rather than anything else. The hotel was wholly unsuitable as a refugee centre and you have to wonder at the mentality of those who sanctioned the plan in the first place - tourism how are you. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

cursai wrote: »
    Not all Pakistanis are Muslim though.

That statement has no context here what so ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

That's not true and I bet the vast majority of the country would not agree with you.
    Even on the RTE news last night when they were reporting on the decision not to use the hotel there as a Direct Provision centre, they interviewed 3 people. The first was that loon that runs "Roscommon against Racism" or whatever it's called (she really needs to get a job though in order to make use of her time), and then they had two locals who explained that there was no further capacity in the local school and doctors practice for such a large number of North African and Asian asylum seekers.

I would have no problem visiting Rooskey, and the attitudes of the 2 locals above is reflective of the attitude of all the small towns and villages around the country where the government is trying to dump non-EU economic migrants.
    Shame on the government for doing this. We will not forget your actions at election time.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Shame on the government for doing this. We will not forget your actions at election time.

Vote for Gemma?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Did it have any to start with? Like so many other one horse towns around the country where that horse died years before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Boggles wrote: »

It was to be used as a process centre for largely Syrian refugees who would have been re-homed in other parts of the county / country.

There is no plan for them to arrive immediately and start evicting locals by compulsory tillage of all available bungalows, booting Mary out of the Post Office/SparButcher/Hardware shop and replacing her with Marah.

The only way people can protest against an assylum system that is a mess is in this manner.All government parties and MSM are intent on bringing in more .
    grahambo wrote: »
    There absolutely is: We are English speaking

The reality is all throughout Africa and the Middle East, most people speak their native language and either English or French.
    Why? Well because the English and French conquered the world and forced their language upon the people the conquered (Ourselves included)

So if you're an economic migrant, you're going to go where you can work. In order to "work" you need to be able to speak the language.
    So this is why they come here.

The problem is when they get here they cannot work as they're in direct provision (which just causes problems in itself)

I don't have a solution here.
    We either let them in or we don't.

Asylum seekers are allowed to work after 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Yay arson! :rolleyes:

As an advocate of people talking the law into their own hands, hope you never fall out with your neighbours (although there is no evidence whether the person(s) who did this are local or not.)

Has there been any evidence that the fire was in fact arson?

It's not really though, non-europeans generally have much higher birthrates, I wouldn't be surprised if Rooskey and other tiny towns have negative birthrates (more deaths than births), dumping 40-50 families of non-europeans into these towns will change the demographics within maybe one generation, but as a nation of can kickers, that's not our problem yet.

• Advertisement

rgossip30 wrote: »
    The only way people can protest against an assylum system that is a mess is in this manner.

Burn down the centre?

Brilliant.

I'm pretty fooked off at the level of car tax I have to pay.

Should I burn down the motor tax office?

High income tax, my only line of protest is to burn down the Revenue Office?

Get up the yard, burning something down is not protest, it criminality.

The sooner they catch the racist scumbag the better.

Burn down the centre?

Brilliant.

I'm pretty fooked off at the level of car tax I have to pay.

Should I burn down the motor tax office?

High income tax, my only line of protest is to burn down the Revenue Office?

Get up the yard, burning something down is not protest, it criminality.

The sooner they catch the racist scumbag the better.

And there it is folks, how to make a great argument in this day and age. Well done.

El_Bee wrote: »
    It's not really though, non-europeans generally have much higher birthrates, I wouldn't be surprised if Rooskey and other tiny towns have negative birthrates (more deaths than births), dumping 40-50 families of non-europeans into these towns will change the demographics within maybe one generation, but as a nation of can kickers, that's not our problem yet.

Jesus titty Christ.

They weren't staying in the village.

It's was a designed to be a "welcome centre" where they get processed and dispersed elsewhere.

It was to house Syrians who would have had their asylum fast tracked for obvious reasons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Did it have any to start with? Like so many other one horse towns around the country where that horse died years before.

Yes, Rooskey is a lovely spot and a point along the Shannon were people dock for the night.
    The people in Rooskey are absolutely lovely as well.

But, it's non waterway traffic has diminished due to the bypass that was built around it a few years back.

Jesus titty Christ.

It's was a designed to be a "welcome centre" where they get processed and dispersed elsewhere.

It was to house Syrians who would have had their asylum fast tracked for obvious reasons.

they're gonna land somewhere, unless they intend to bounce them between centres indefinitly, which is inhumane imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Jesus titty Christ.

North African and Asian (as the new proposed residents were described on RTE) Syrians??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Truly sad to see this reaction from a county with a long history of its people looking for shelter, work and prosperity in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

declan2693 wrote: »
    And there it is folks, how to make a great argument in this day and age. Well done.

Yeah, like burning down something because you don't agree with it is such a reasonable course of action. *Insert roll eyes*

Yeah, like burning down something because you don't agree with it is such a reasonable course of action. *Insert roll eyes*

Whatever gets the job done. The people won.

Arson! A legitimate form of protest.

Jesus, there is some fairly creepy people out there.

Arson! A legitimate form of protest.

Jesus, there is some fairly creepy people out there.

Tell that to the people of France.

• Advertisement

Truly sad to see this reaction from a county with a long history of its people looking for shelter, work and prosperity in other countries.

We're a small nation who literally cannot look after the people who are in the country as it is.

First of all, attack the government for putting those people there, not the people themselves, no one "won" here, and second, I've already asked but I'll ask again, has the investigation been concluded and were the results of the investigation arson, do not reply with "sure what else would it be".

We're a small nation who literally cannot look after the people who are in the country as it is.

First of all, attack the government for putting those people there, not the people themselves, no one "won" here, and second, I've already asked but I'll ask again, has the investigation been concluded and were the results of the investigation arson, do not reply with "sure what else would it be".

The governement lost a building lease. The "people" werent attack they hadn't even arrived yet. The people got what they want no mass influx of immigrants.

Tell that to the people of France.

I will of course, have you got their number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: Banned. Anyone else who wants to advocate illegal actions will get the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Has there been any evidence that the fire was in fact arson?

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2019/0212/1029015-rooskey_hotel/
    A garda superintendent investigating the arson attack at a hotel in Rooskey last night has said those responsible were in the area for a number of days and had been preparing for the attack.

Supt Kevin English said he was deeply concerned about the incident at the Shannon Key West Hotel and the danger posed to local people.

He said he was appealing to local residents in the Co Leitrim village to come forward and assist gardaith their inquiries.

Supt English said two security guards and a supervisor had become aware of the efforts to start the fire and significant damage could have been caused but for their response.

A forensic examination is to be carried out at the hotel after the second attack in less than five weeks on the building.

A window was broken and an attempt was made to start a fire on the premises just after 10pm last night.

The alarms in the building went off and security personnel in the hotel called gardai.

Three units of the fire services came to the scene and brought the incident under control.

Less than five weeks ago, gardai had to respond to an arson attack on the hotel, which is still earmarked to become a reception centre for asylum seekers.

On that occasion, smoke damage was caused, but last night's incident has now raised serious concern in the area.

Gardai are investigating claims that a fire bomb may have been used.

Scrap the cap!

The governement lost a building lease. The "people" werent attack they hadn't even arrived yet. The people got what they want no mass influx of immigrants.

Even so, if I was hypothetically asked my opinion I would allegedly say that if you want to burn something down then maybe start with your TD's offices, if such a conversation was to occur, which it wouldn't, because I'd never say something like that.

North African and Asian (as the new proposed residents were described on RTE) Syrians??

I have Boggles on ignore but it doesn't surprise me that the "Syrian" line was peddled again. This is what the populace around the country generally hears. Will you house the poor auld Syrians who were bombed out of their homes? Everyone saw the pictures and news footage of places like Aleppo being completely destroyed, so the normal reaction would be "Yes, let the Syrians use our local hotel".

The reality in the vast majority of cases though is that large groups of economic migrants from North Africa, Pakistan, Georgia, Albania etc are being forced on small communities all around Ireland. Guess what happens at the local GP practice with the sudden increase in numbers and then the appearance of military age men hanging around the streets in villages and towns where these direct provision centres are located. Yes, the vast majority of the asylum seekers are military aged men. The impression that the liberal left is trying to portray is that of Syrian women and children flying from war. It is untrue, totally disingenuous and completely dishonest.

A backlash is the natural response to this type of deceit.

So more than likely then, that's fair, I was just wondering if it was arson and not an accident or something and it was twisted into something it wasn't. stupid and shortsighted by whoever did it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I don't buy that. We could easily 'look after' the people of this country if we had some brave strong politicians and a decent permanent government. We have neither.

I don't buy that. We could easily 'look after' the people of this country if we had some brave strong politicians and a decent permanent government. We have neither.

and if I got the right numbers I'd win the lotto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I have Boggles on ignore but it doesn't surprise me that the "Syrian" line was peddled again. This is what the populace around the country generally hears. Will you house the poor auld Syrians who were bombed out of their homes? Everyone saw the pictures and news footage of places like Aleppo being completely destroyed, so the normal reaction would be "Yes, let the Syrians use our local hotel".

The reality in the vast majority of cases though is that large groups of economic migrants from North Africa, Pakistan, Georgia, Albania etc are being forced on small communities all around Ireland. Guess what happens at the local GP practice with the sudden increase in numbers and then the appearance of military age men hanging around the streets in villages and towns where these direct provision centres are located. Yes, the vast majority of the asylum seekers are military aged men. The impression that the liberal left is trying to portray is that of Syrian women and children flying from war. It is untrue, totally disingenuous and completely dishonest.

Love how you lads use this phrase to paint them as soldiers/isis/whatever.

If you got hassle on a Dublin stteet tomorrow from a group of teens would your police statement contain the words "i was then set upon by a group of military aged men"? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That's not true and I bet the vast majority of the country would not agree with you.
    Even on the RTE news last night when they were reporting on the decision not to use the hotel there as a Direct Provision centre, they interviewed 3 people. The first was that loon that runs "Roscommon against Racism" or whatever it's called (she really needs to get a job though in order to make use of her time), and then they had two locals who explained that there was no further capacity in the local school and doctors practice for such a large number of North African and Asian asylum seekers.

I would have no problem visiting Rooskey, and the attitudes of the 2 locals above is reflective of the attitude of all the small towns and villages around the country where the government is trying to dump non-EU economic migrants.
    Pretend all you want but good luck convincing people to invest in a town where you get firebombed if the locals don't agree with it. The majority of people around the country wouldn't have heard of the place until now and it will have this association forever, no matter how nice the people are in reality

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

and if I got the right numbers I'd win the lotto?

Yes

That's just a load of nonsense though that left your brain unfiltered and certainly not fact checked anywhere.

Oh yeah, you have me on ignore but still mention me by name. :rolleyes:

Seems legit.

As you were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Pretend all you want but good luck convincing people to invest in a town where you get firebombed if the locals don't agree with it. The majority of people around the country wouldn't have heard of the place until now and it will have this association forever, no matter how nice the people are in reality

Like everything, people will invest in the town if they can make money doing so. If not, they won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Getting firebombed tends to reduce your chances of making money.

Scrap the cap!

robbiezero wrote: »
    Like everything, people will invest in the town if they can make money doing so. If not, they won't.

The only factory there burned down 17 years ago, there was talks about 12 years ago about building a business park. It never happened.

Ironically the reception centre would have brought jobs and money into the village.

Oh well, that's that so. As long as there isn't brown people bothering the GP they don't actually have, everyone is happy.

The only factory there burned down 17 years ago, there was talks about 12 years ago about building a business park. It never happened.

Ironically the reception centre would have brought jobs and money into the village.

Oh well, that's that so. As long as there isn't brown people bothering the GP they don't actually have, everyone is happy.

No idea what your point is or if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me.

The point is the "welcome centre" was a business who was investing in the village and with it would have brought jobs and money.

The first business in quite a while, but they were burnt out of it.

So the thoughts that some other business is going to come along is quite naive IMO.

• Advertisement

Ah lads, for the sake of those of us who have Boggles on ignore, could you stop quoting his nonsense.
    I have to thank the poster though who quoted Boggles' comment about paying income taxes; that gave me a chuckle. Going by the gaps I see on various threads, he is quite the prodigious poster. I usually find that the common denominator of those posters who want small villages and towns around Ireland to unilaterally accept large numbers of African/Asian economic migrants is that they either work for vested NGOs or they do not work at all, which gives them all the time in the world to post their unrealistic expectations for the country. Thankfully, they represent a small minority.

The point is the "welcome centre" was a business who was investing in the village and with it would have brought jobs and money.

The first business in quite a while, but they were burnt out of it.

So the thoughts that some other business is going to come along is quite naive IMO.

I would imagine it about as likely as it was before the firebombing which is probably unlikely.

Ah lads, for the sake of those of us who have Boggles on ignore, could you stop quoting his nonsense.
    I have to thank the poster though who quoted Boggles' comment about paying income taxes; that gave me a chuckle. Going by the gaps I see on various threads, he is quite the prodigious poster. I usually find that the common denominator of those posters who want small villages and towns around Ireland to unilaterally accept large numbers of African/Asian economic migrants is that they either work for vested NGOs or they do not work at all, which gives them all the time in the world to post their unrealistic expectations for the country. Thankfully, they represent a small minority.

Rougly translated, I have Boggles on ignore but I can't stop talking him and I know all about it.

Da Fuq? :confused:

Can someone ask him to please stop talking about me, please.

Or just quote this.

I would imagine it about as likely as it was before the firebombing which is probably unlikely.

Less I imagine.

But no doubt the locals will be moaning the lack of investment, jobs and services , but at the end of the day "they won" and that's all that matters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Less I imagine.

But no doubt the locals will be moaning the lack of investment, jobs and services , but at the end of the day "they won" and that's all that matters.

I'd rather live in a town that was lacking investment than get flooded with people from who-knows-where that haven't been properly vetted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Yay arson! :rolleyes:

As an advocate of people talking the law into their own hands, hope you never fall out with your neighbours (although there is no evidence whether the person(s) who did this are local or not.)

The reason the DP centre is not going ahead is nothing to do with the suspected arson attack or do you have evidence that says otherwise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

People on here are making it sound like the entire citizens of Rooskey had secret meetings and then the entire town/village gathered together and did the deed. Far more likely imo that one or two acted alone, without anyone else having a clue what was going to happen. Of the rest I'm sure they had their own opinions & concerns coupled with curiosity as to how the new situation would all work out but like most people they would have let it happen. Maybe they are all happier now but still, apart from whoever did it, the rest of the population of Rooskey bear no responsibility for the actual arson.

I'd rather live in a town that was lacking investment than get flooded with people from who-knows-where that haven't been properly vetted.

I doubt they would be overly keen to share a village with you TBH.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    People on here are making it sound like the entire citizens of Rooskey had secret meetings and then the entire town/village gathered together and did the deed.

Not one person who isn't a lunatic has suggested that. Not even close.

We have had quite a few say it probably wasn't arson at all, but spontaneous combustion twice, something, something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

So would most people with a brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

That's just a load of nonsense though that left your brain unfiltered and certainly not fact checked anywhere.

Oh yeah, you have me on ignore but still mention me by name. :rolleyes:

Seems legit.

As you were.

If someone you have on ignore is quoted by someone you don't have on ignore, you see the quote. So it is quite legit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement