Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank introducing transaction charges

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

Bye bye Ulster Bank, closed both current and savings account (to teach them a lesson), I do imagine them having 15 grand less stings a little. So far the dough is sitting on my N26 current account, any good savings account I could move to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Bhangraman wrote: »
    Bye bye Ulster Bank, closed both current and savings account (to teach them a lesson), I do imagine them having 15 grand less stings a little. So far the dough is sitting on my N26 current account, any good savings account I could move to?

How long would you be willing to put it away for?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm with ptsb but am moving due to their change in fees too. KBC is best.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    the hassle of moving direct debits :mad:
    I saw in the article something about 'for more transparency for customers'. get out of here

It's much easier these days, you fill out a switching form and your old bank sends the details to your new bank who set up the DD's for you
    https://www.switchyourbank.ie/
    https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/money/banking/switching-accounts/

Wheety wrote: »

How long would you be willing to put it away for?

No need for quick access so could long term investment.

No need for quick access so could long term investment.

State Savings?
    1.5% AER for 10 years.
    0.98% AER for 5.

If you're going with KBC, their Extra Regular Savings account gives a good rate (if you open an Extra Current Account). Currently 2.1% but likely to keep dropping over the years.

You could deposit €10k as your first deposit and then €1k a month. You can keep adding to it after the €15k is transferred in but if that's too much, you could reduce it. Minimum of €100 a month.

State savings are tax free but your money is locked away. You will pay DIRT on your KBC interest but it's instant access.

• Advertisement

State Savings?
    1.5% AER for 10 years.
    0.98% AER for 5.

If you're going with KBC, their Extra Regular Savings account gives a good rate (if you open an Extra Current Account). Currently 2.1% but likely to keep dropping over the years.

You could deposit €10k as your first deposit and then €1k a month. You can keep adding to it after the €15k is transferred in but if that's too much, you could reduce it. Minimum of €100 a month.

State savings are tax free but your money is locked away. You will pay DIRT on your KBC interest but it's instant access.

1. About KBC, seems like the best rate around indeed for a savings account in Ireland, however I don't really want to open another current account (I just need savings as I use N26 as my main account for salary/day to day) and have to transfer 2500€ per month (unless I can have monthly standing order from KBC savings to current and back a day later?).

2. As to the state savings, I looked into this but actually locking away the money for 10 years (as anything less such as 5 years does not have such great interest rates) is a bit extreme for me (and besides I'll likely have moved out of Ireland by then).

3. What do you think about Raisin? https://www.raisin.com/our-offers/ Seems N26 is actually partnering with them so probably just a matter of time before it comes to Ireland but in the meantime, could open a savings account directly with them as the broker: https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/10/n26-launches-saving-accounts-with-raisin/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Raisin is not available for new Irish applicants.

JTMan wrote: »
    Raisin is not available for new Irish applicants.
    To avoid going off topic here, I continued our discussion about Raisin on its dedicated thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

This will sink Ulster Bank.

A monthly charge AND ludicrous transaction fees.

Costing you money if there's transfers into your account?

Eh no thanks.

Ciao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

It will not sink Ulster Bank. Inertia is rampant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Anyone know if you can set up DDs and standing orders on Revolut?

Think I'll just use UB as a zombie account (let them have their €2 pound of flesh) and use Revolut for the day to day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

van_beano wrote: »
    To be fair though, Ulster Bank have given us the guts of 2 months to get alternative banking set-up, plenty of time get DD’s sorted etc. I’d be like others here not wanting to give UB 1 cent more than I have to. KBC do Apple Pay aswell which is handy, they’re kinda like Ulster Bank when Ulster Bank were competitive!

I feel a tinge if sadness leaving UB now though after 32 years but they haven’t give me any choice, they will get more and more expensive as tine goes on. KBC May go the same way, will cross that bridge if it happens.

I'm sure the banks are crying too......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Sono

Tim76 wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can set up DDs and standing orders on Revolut?

Think I'll just use UB as a zombie account (let them have their €2 pound of flesh) and use Revolut for the day to day.

That’s my plan too but will use N26 for DD hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Sono

I'm sure the banks are crying too......

Well if enough people leave they will have to drop these crazy charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,434 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

n26 card arrived today, setup wed 13th uploaded docs on sat 16th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sono wrote: »

Hard to know. The inconvenience or perceived inconvenience may put plenty of people off switching. Others will do the "Well, I'll just transfer to Revolut and take the hit on a couple of direct debit charges - may still be less than previous fees". But in all their customer examples, people were racking up fees of €10 a month. I imagine someone has crunched the numbers and said that this will pay off / won't hurt them at least.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I guessing a few on here have UB Mastercards as well (?).

Possibly a stupid question, but is there any impact on this if you close your other UB accounts?

Cartman78 wrote: »
    I guessing a few on here have UB Mastercards as well (?).

Possibly a stupid question, but is there any impact on this if you close your other UB accounts?

As far as I know you can have a credit card without a current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Claireabella

How do I put money into N26 account? Go into another bank with IBAN? Can I do that in the post office, and is there a fee? Sorry, this stuff goes over my head :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

Sono wrote:

I am definitely closing my current account, it's a pain because I only switched to UB because AIB introduced something similar.

A couple of things, will KBC follow suit?? I don't want to be changing again in a few months!
    I wonder how many people will be closing their UB accounts, hundreds? Hardly thousands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

famagusta wrote: »
    I am definitely closing my current account, it's a pain because I only switched to UB because AIB introduced something similar.

A couple of things, will KBC follow suit?? I don't want to be changing again in a few months!
    I wonder how many people will be closing their UB accounts, hundreds? Hardly thousands?

I'm not sure many people realise what's happening. Ulster bank send out a lot of emails about changing and improving, and nothing noticeable gets done. It wouldn't surprise me if most people seen the word "changes" and ignored the email. I know I nearly did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I got a letter in the post detailing the charges.
    I have my application into KBC already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I received physical letter last week too.
    I'm really annoyed, but honestly don't want the hassle of moving banks right now.
    UB online and mobile banking works well for us, and have DD etc so the way I want them.
    Main account is uFirst so not impacted, just gonna shut down other current accounts that were only in place for convenience and will prob need to leave the 3k balance in one account.
    So I'm not leaving just yet, but I'll make sure I'm not paying any of these charges either. Honestly don't understand how anybody can justify charges for online /mobile movement between accounts and for DD.
    As somebody else said, surely the savings from on premise staff and bank closures should allow the running of the online service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Wheety, I saw your post over in the AskKBC forum (from a user rather than a rep) about the lodgement of €2,500 to avoid fees

"A total of 2500 has to be lodged into your account, this can be in multiple transactions. You could even transfer the same 500 in and out 5 times."

This sounds too good to be true...Is this for real? An absolute no-brainer for me to switch if this is the case! Just have to pick out the period between bills coming out of UB Current Account / Credit Card.

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Wheety, I saw your post over in the AskKBC forum (from a user rather than a rep) about the lodgement of €2,500 to avoid fees

"A total of 2500 has to be lodged into your account, this can be in multiple transactions. You could even transfer the same 500 in and out 5 times."

This sounds too good to be true...Is this for real? An absolute no-brainer for me to switch if this is the case! Just have to pick out the period between bills coming out of UB Current Account / Credit Card.

Yeah it's true. Someone else mentioned it has to come from an external account but it is a way to meet the deposit requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Yeah it's true. Someone else mentioned it has to come from an external account but it is a way to meet the deposit requirement.

This is exactly the way Ulster Bank started slowly introducing restrictions.......I'm sure KBC will go the same way but I for sure will be taking that chance and will jump from them when they start behaving like Ulster.....but not for a few years hopefully....

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

As far as I know you can have a credit card without a current account.

You definitely can with AIB anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

TallGlass wrote: »
    For all it's worth, I let them know what I think about there new transaction fees.

Just to follow up on this.

They got back to me via letter today.

In summary, PFO (please **** off), we are going ahead with these changes, like it or lump it*. The letter went even so far as to show me a web link to where I can see a copy of there T&C's and where they can do what ever they please.

*can complain to FSPO

It's a 'bank policy decision', more bollix. Quick look at the main 'bank' RBS shows a nice offer of 'Switch your account to us and earn yourself £150'.

Unable to 'uphold my complaint' and in no way reflects my 'loyalty' as a customer.

I'm guessing, account holders are not kicking up enough fuss.

Here are the charges linked with RBS 'Select' account. (In typical Paddy style we take it, we are getting shafted by UB). The mere question of charging for contactless payments isn't even mentioned on RBS. Not a hope the Brits would put up with this carry on.

I'm off to KBC. UB can go an fú ck.

https://personal.rbs.co.uk/content/dam/rbs_co_uk/currentaccounts/downloads/RBS-Fee-Information-Document.pdf

Service Fee
    Maintaining the account No fee
    Payments (excluding cards)
    Direct Debit No fee
    Standing order No fee
    Cards and cash
    Cash withdrawal in pounds in the UK No fee
    Debit card payment in pounds No fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

TallGlass wrote: »
    Just to follow up on this.

They got back to me via letter today.

In summary, PFO (please **** off), we are going ahead with these changes, like it or lump it*. The letter went even so far as to show me a web link to where I can see a copy of there T&C's and where they can do what ever they please.

*can complain to FSPO

It's a 'bank policy decision', more bollix.

Yeah, mentioned that earlier in this thread, I’m quite used to tone they use in those letters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I wrote to BOI back in the day when they introduced charges and they replied in a similar vein. Sure what else can they say? They did it and they're still here, still rich.
    I mean, do Banks actually care about current accounts? I can't imagine they make much money on them. Probably happy enough to offload some.

Advertisement