Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank introducing transaction charges

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,641 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I've got my n26 card and got all set up over the weekend.

One thing to note is that because it's a European bank as opposed to an Irish Bank it takes 3 or 4 days for transfers to come through to it. I hadn't realised this until I tried moving some of my funds across from my Ulster Bank account. Funds can't be moved using Ulster Bank app and you need to use their anytime banking website along with card reader to make an international transfer.

Does anyone on here have any long term experience with N26? Is there a 3 to 4 day delay from payday until your wages appear in your account?
    Have you experienced any difficulty with direct debits or standing orders to other Irish banks or paying household utility companies?

I'd hate to get half way through switching everything over to find I need to open another account with an Irish bank.

KBC to N26 takes 1 day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've done transfers to N26 from KBC and a friend has done them from UB (in branch). As long as they are done by 3pm-ish (their daily cut off time) they have appeared the next day
    Your problem is more likely to do with doing an international transfer when its a intra-EU transfer and that is likely a problem on UB's side and not N26's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Have myself and the hubbie's letters written and ready to post to the branch to close our current accounts. Will be keeping the Ufirst and savings accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

It could well be Ulster banks problem. I transferred some money to N26 online on Sunday as it wasn't possible in the Ulster bank app as it wouldn't recognize the German IBAN number. I had to do it on the website and it had to be done as an international transfer (SEPA) but was free to do so as it was going to another EU country in Euro currency. It gave a guide of 3 to 4 business days for the transfer.

For €18 I could have got the transfer done in 1-2 days but that's not much use if I'm trying to avoid fees by moving to N26.

I'll post back here when the money shows up in my n26 account.

Edit: money arrived in N26 account this morning @7.55 so one working day for transfer from Ulster bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I use Paypal for most Internet purchases. Does anyone know what this will cost per transaction if any?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

AllForIt wrote: »
    I use Paypal for most Internet purchases. Does anyone know what this will cost per transaction if any?

20 cents per transaction if you're using your debit card. No fee if your paypal is linked to your Ulster Bank credit card.

20 cents per transaction if you're using your debit card. No fee if your paypal is linked to your Ulster Bank credit card.

Well ya it is linked if I understand the meaning of linked. I have registered my UB (debit) account on PP. I don't know how else they would charge my account if it wasn't.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

AllForIt wrote: »
    Well ya it is linked if I understand the meaning of linked. I have registered my UB (debit) account on PP. I don't know how else they would charge my account if it wasn't.

My Paypal account is linked to my Ulster credit card. I also have my Ulster debit card on it but my credit card is the default card that I've set Paypal to use. If Paypal used my debit card I'd be looking at 0.20 cents per transaction (after April). There's no fee for using the credit card though. If you've an Ulster credit card just make that your default card on Paypal. You can just pay the credit card off in one online transaction at the end of the month for 0.20 cents.

My Paypal account is linked to my Ulster credit card. I also have my Ulster debit card on it but my credit card is the default card that I've set Paypal to use. If Paypal used my debit card I'd be looking at 0.20 cents per transaction (after April). There's no fee for using the credit card though. If you've an Ulster credit card just make that your default card on Paypal. You can just pay the credit card off in one online transaction at the end of the month for 0.20 cents.

Ok well I don't have a credit card but even so 20c isn't too bad considering most if not all things I buy online are way way cheaper then if I bought those things in a retail store.

Revolut transfer is instant btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Bought a draft in UB yesterday. I’d be friendly enough with the staff there. They told me the cost of drafts are increasing from 2.50 to a tenner. It’s slready gone up since the 18th of Feb but they’re computer systems won’t allow the increased price just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

KBC account activated. Now the fun task of contacting all my DD's to update the mandate forms, will take most of the morning I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

van_beano wrote: »
    KBC account activated. Now the fun task of contacting all my DD's to update the mandate forms, will take most of the morning I'd say.

KBC/Ulster Bank should do that for you.

I am switching to a KBC Extra Current Account as a result of these charges.

All I had to do was send (by email) KBC proof of ID, address and current bank statement. Fill in the switching form and salary transfer form and free-post it back to them. Then picking a switching date where activity on my account would be low for a week (i.e. no DDs or SOs coming out/in etc.). KBC and Ulster Bank will do the rest, transfer my SOs and DDs over to the new account.

Way more seamless than I thought it would be. I picked 11th March as my switching date so I will report back to confirm if all went smoothly.

Edit to add: The KBC Extra Current account has free banking provided you lodge €2,500 per month (don't need to keep it as a balance, just lodge it). No monthly/quarterly fees, no transactions fees.

Thanks Monife,

Am a bit of a control freak, like to know it's been done myself :)

Am half way through switching the DD's here, only have 10 anyways. I'm sort of hit every week with DD's so I've just changed the ones I've paid recently over to the new account. Will let the upcoming ones go through UB before switching them. I'll be dual-accounting for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,434 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I've got my n26 card and got all set up over the weekend.

One thing to note is that because it's a European bank as opposed to an Irish Bank it takes 3 or 4 days for transfers to come through to it. I hadn't realised this until I tried moving some of my funds across from my Ulster Bank account. Funds can't be moved using Ulster Bank app and you need to use their anytime banking website along with card reader to make an international transfer.

Does anyone on here have any long term experience with N26? Is there a 3 to 4 day delay from payday until your wages appear in your account?
    Have you experienced any difficulty with direct debits or standing orders to other Irish banks or paying household utility companies?

I'd hate to get half way through switching everything over to find I need to open another account with an Irish bank.

I've done a couple of transfers to n26 both went in at 9am the day following the transfer.

one was in the morning the other was Sunday night which came in tuesday morning.

but that's all I've tried with it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

van_beano wrote: »
    Thanks Monife,

Am a bit of a control freak, like to know it's been done myself :)

Am half way through switching the DD's here, only have 10 anyways. I'm sort of hit every week with DD's so I've just changed the ones I've paid recently over to the new account. Will let the upcoming ones go through UB before switching them. I'll be dual-accounting for a couple of weeks.

That's how I like to do it too. At least you know there'll be no missed DDs and you'll know when they're all switched too.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Thinking of moving now too based on the charges.

Is anyone doing the extra regular saver with KBC offering 2%?

Thanks,

PHG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Yeah, anyone switching, double check the important DDs like the mortgage. When I switched from BOI to UB, only one of the 8 DDs was done so my mortgage payment was missed.

PHG wrote: »
    Thinking of moving now too based on the charges.

Is anyone doing the extra regular saver with KBC offering 2%?

Thanks,

PHG

One you have your current account you can add this saver account to with the click of a button. You can set up a standing orders to it. Takes about 2 mins in total and no interaction needed with KBC staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

You're wrong. Once you set up an international payees in the app they stay there. I use the app regularly to transfer to my N26 account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

peteb2 wrote:
    You're wrong. Once you set up an international payees in the app they stay there. I use the app regularly to transfer to my N26 account

I see that now I was going on what information was provided by Ulster banks website at the time of transfer. I've edited my initial post to reflect this.

Have you encountered and problems with n26 and direct debits or has it all been straightforward for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

See KBC's latest poster campaign? Mentions that other banks are introducing transaction charges and they're not :P

Wheety wrote: »
    See KBC's latest poster campaign? Mentions that other banks are introducing transaction charges and they're not :P

Saw those posters recently. Hopefully, at least, KBC can see now that transactions charges annoy people and they won't be too quick going down the UB route themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

Anyone enquire about Ulsterbanks Foundation Account?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/banking/standard_bank_account.html

Seems free for 1 year and to be reviewed with a posibility of free for 5

The first year is free of charge for everyday banking. After one year, the bank will review your account but you will not be charged maintenance or day-to-day transaction fees for the first five years, providing the total amount of money paid into your account each year is no more than €19,240 (the national minimum wage).

https://digital.ulsterbank.co.uk/personal/current-accounts/foundation-account.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

All the banks have a basic bank account but IMO they are doing their best to hide availability.

For example staff in PTSB said it was only for people on social welfare with income of less than 15k who never ever held a bank account in Ireland...three inaccurate facts in one sentence, all designed to discourage anyone opening one.

So be prepared to be fobbed off while trying to open a basic account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Revolut apparently in a bit of a pickle for those considering them as an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Cartman78 wrote: »

What type of a pickle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Cartman78

OU812 wrote: »
    Cartman78 wrote: »

What type of a pickle?

Seems to be a few things going on...there's a thread in this forum with more info.

From what I can gather there's an issue with their CFO/HR, some murmurings of money laundering and an app update that blocked people out for a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Have you encountered and problems with n26 and direct debits or has it all been straightforward for you?

Haven't started using it as my main account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Is there a number or email to contact N26 regarding delay I'm having in N26 reviewing my documents.... cannot find anything on their site....

Advertisement