Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank introducing transaction charges

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Transferred my monthly spends from Ulsterbank into N26 on Thursday lunchtime.

The funds hit the account at 9am Friday morning.

I then moved some funds from N26 back into an AIB account. They were in that day.

The N26 card also works with Apple Pay which is a huge bonus.

I’m very happy with Revolut, N26 and the switch in general so thank you Ulsterbank !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Has anyone else had bother with setting up the N26 account? I can't get them to accept my ID and it won't recognise my address. I used their live chat feature on their website, and they told me they would get the department to email me. Two days later and still nothing. For a company that will do all of its communication with customers online, it doesn't bode well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Has anyone else had bother with setting up the N26 account? I can't get them to accept my ID and it won't recognise my address. I used their live chat feature on their website, and they told me they would get the department to email me. Two days later and still nothing. For a company that will do all of its communication with customers online, it doesn't bode well.

Same issue with me, wouldn’t accept passport. I just gave up on them and went to KBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Opened KBC account, have to drop in switching form to them in the next couple of days.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Opened KBC account, have to drop in switching form to them in the next couple of days.

You can send it to them Freepost:

FreePost, KBC Bank
    Sandwith Street,
    Dublin, D02 X489.

I converted their switching form to a fillable PDF form if anyone wants to use it. I don't think you can email it to them (not sure why).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Lanshane

Exact same here. Same answer when I contacted them too....told me they sent it to relevant department and in 2 days it be sorted. 2 weeks later and.countless chats with them and still the same....I'm glad I've discovered their inability to deal with customers in a proper ethical manner at this early stage! Went to KBC....

Anyone know if the switching process also moves funds, or do I have to move them separately?

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the switching process also moves funds, or do I have to move them separately?

There was talk earlier on this thrend that it is a good idea to take all your funds out of the account before issuing a closure notice on the account, that way they can't charge you any possible exit fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Once the account is closed, your funds are transferred to the new account. Switching process can take up to 7 working days so I transferred most of my money into my new KBC account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Cartman78

KBC account went live today....the main delay was me fannying about with proofs of address.

Will start the switching process next week I think.

That whirring noise you can hear is Henry Hippo spinning in his grave ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Just a couple of quick questions re: closing UB accounts -

Did any of you guys actually call into a branch to do it?

Or did you just send a letter?

The advice on their website isn't 100% clear - it seems that you can call into any branch, but if writing it must be the account holding branch :confused:

I'm not sure if I want to waste a lunch break faffing about in a bank tbh.

Had planned to move to KBC, but unfortunately the app & website are virtually unusable for someone with several accounts. Although you can rename accounts in the app, this isn't reflected on the site (with no plans to do so) & the layout of both are so bad.

Unfortunately had to cancel my switch & stay put

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Just a couple of quick questions re: closing UB accounts -

Did any of you guys actually call into a branch to do it?

Or did you just send a letter?

The advice on their website isn't 100% clear - it seems that you can call into any branch, but if writing it must be the account holding branch :confused:

I'm not sure if I want to waste a lunch break faffing about in a bank tbh.

Yes, I closed my account in the Baggot Street branch however my branch is Swords. It only took about 10 minutes total (which includes queueing time, the actual account closing didn't take more than a few minutes).

The website says bring your passport/proof of ID, which I did, however I wasn't asked for it. Just asked for my debit card.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Had planned to move to KBC, but unfortunately the app & website are virtually unusable for someone with several accounts. Although you can rename accounts in the app, this isn't reflected on the site (with no plans to do so) & the layout of both are so bad.

Unfortunately had to cancel my switch & stay put

What was the issue with the names on the site? What was the problem in general with having a few accounts on there?

What was the issue with the names on the site? What was the problem in general with having a few accounts on there?

You couldn't rename any accounts on the site, so every account was called "Current Account" or "Deposit Account" (their variation of).

Personally I needed several accounts. As well as my own, my joint accounts & some (sole trader) holding accounts. Without knowing which was which it was impossible to use. It's also a very poorly laid out site compared to UB & AIB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I hand delivered my letter asking for closure of my account and stuck in their letter box. Asked them to close it by the 11th of this month. Its still open!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I got all set up with KBC this week, current account and credit card. It was pretty painless, did it all through the app. The KBC app looks better than the Ulster Bank one but I prefer the functionality of the Ulster Bank one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I wrote a letter and posted it to my branch on Wednesday. I asked them to have it closed by 1st April. Today I got a call from them saying they received my letter and were trying to close my account but that I needed to transfer E4.70 back in to cover fees. I don't know where this figure came from, seeing as I had been paying E4.00 per month for fees. But anyway, I did it, and they said it will be closed today. I still see it on my app. Then I got a call from another staff member at the branch asking me why I was closing the account. I explained why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I wrote a letter and posted it to my branch on Wednesday. I asked them to have it closed by 1st April. Today I got a call from them saying they received my letter and were trying to close my account but that I needed to transfer E4.70 back in to cover fees. I don't know where this figure came from, seeing as I had been paying E4.00 per month for fees. But anyway, I did it, and they said it will be closed today. I still see it on my app. Then I got a call from another staff member at the branch asking me why I was closing the account. I explained why.

Did they try and keep you?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

And now i see that UB are removing the pay contacts from the app. Are they trying to p1ss people off or what

• Advertisement

Wheety wrote: »
    Did they try and keep you?

She asked why I was closing it, if I was just consolidating some accounts, as she could see that I also have a Ufirst and a savings account. I said I was closing it because of the new fee structure, and that I already pay E10 a month for the Ufirst account and didn't really need this current account. She didn't try to persuade me to keep this account open. She did tell me about another type of savings account that would earn me more interest than the one I have. Then started asking me about my mortgage. I stopped her in her tracks by saying I had a tracker rate, she laughed and left it at that.

What happens if you don’t pay the fee they ask for? Like that €4.70 from the previous poster. Do they try and hit your credit rating?

I’m planning on clearing out my account before closing anyways. I’m just interested to hear what the repercussions of not paying the above fee is.

van_beano wrote: »
    What happens if you don’t pay the fee they ask for? Like that €4.70 from the previous poster. Do they try and hit your credit rating?

I’m planning on clearing out my account before closing anyways. I’m just interested to hear what the repercussions of not paying the above fee is.

If you don't pay the fee, they can't close the account, so you will continue accruing the monthly fees and overdraft charges if you are overdrawn as a result of the fees.

If you don't pay the fee, they can't close the account, so you will continue accruing the monthly fees and overdraft charges if you are overdrawn as a result of the fees.

In the overall scheme of things that would mean you couldn’t open up an account with them again due to a lingering bad debt.

I’ve kept the €3k balance at all times so have never paid any fees but I’d presume they’d try and charge me regardless as the account will be below the €3k limit at time of closing. It’s gas if they tried and charge me €4 to close considering they’ve made far more than that from my funds on deposit over the years.

Yes that's what they told me. E4.00 is fair enough, it's equivalent to my monthly fees anyway, so they were just recouping that for the month. Unsure where they got the extra E0.70 and I didn't question it because it was a nominal amount, I just agreed to it so that the account could be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

I see in the app today Ulster bank are stopping the "pay your contacts" facility through the app. Asked them on Twitter why they're getting rid of the most convenient transfer method and got a generic reply of we will pass the feedback on blah blah blah. They also confirmed that it could take 24-48 hours for a transfer by using account number and sort code, and they said I dint even need a card reader for transfers up to €750. Lucky me!! All my family are with UB so transfers here and there were very handy for different reasons.

Find myself using revolut more and more now.

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

kerry37 wrote: »
    Find myself using revolut more and more now.

What's the deal with Revolut now? Are their recent issues behind them? i.e. money laundering, outages, no banking licence etc.

I ordered a card when UB announced their transaction fees but I've been reluctant to put too much money on it due to their recent woes.That will all change come 19 April tho when I plan to use Revolut for all my day to day transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

Tim76 wrote: »
    What's the deal with Revolut now? Are their recent issues behind them? i.e. money laundering, outages, no banking licence etc.

I ordered a card when UB announced their transaction fees but I've been reluctant to put too much money on it due to their recent woes.That will all change come 19 April tho when I plan to use Revolut for all my day to day transactions.

Have been loading a monthly balance onto revolut since January and have had no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Tim76 wrote: »

I'd recommend having 2 accounts. Revolut have issues now and again but I still use them as my day to day card. I reduced my Vault target from €1k to €500. And when it hits that, I'll move it out.

N26 is a good option for a main bank but there can still be some issues from not having an Irish account. This is improving though. But you can't top up an online Lotto account with a non-Irish card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

have a follow up call with KBC at the start of April. Want done with UB over those fees.

Use revolut daily (live between Ireland and Europe), N26 that I throw savings into every month for when home.

Hoping to get the current account and credit card with KBC. Move money to sterling each month so probably not the savings account due to FX risk.

Advertisement