Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2001 Corolla ignition barrel replacement

• 12-02-2019 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

The ignition barrel has just given up on my parents 2001 corolla.

Toyota wanting €800 to fit and install a new one, the car is hardly worth that, even though it only has 90k miles on the clock.

I have located one from a breaker for <€50.

To fit I need to take the steering wheel out and then get into the ignition.

However Im a bit confused on how this relates to the immobilizer, I guess the immobilizer is a proximity switch mounted in the dash and when the key is inserted in the ignition the proximity switch is made and ignition switch can then make its connection.

And I guess when replacing this ignition switch I will be getting a different key for the barrel, so I will need to swap one key for another.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

aidanki wrote: »
    The ignition barrel has just given up on my parents 2001 corolla.

Toyota wanting €800 to fit and install a new one, the car is hardly worth that, even though it only has 90k miles on the clock.

I have located one from a breaker for <€50.

To fit I need to take the steering wheel out and then get into the ignition.

However Im a bit confused on how this relates to the immobilizer, I guess the immobilizer is a proximity switch mounted in the dash and when the key is inserted in the ignition the proximity switch is made and ignition switch can then make its connection.

And I guess when replacing this ignition switch I will be getting a different key for the barrel, so I will need to swap one key for another.

It appears this is what I need to replace and its independent of all the safety stuff

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IGNITION-SWITCH-LOCK-BARREL-STARTER-TOYOTA-AVENSIS-MK1-COROLLA-MK8-MK9-YARIS-MK1/252229911711?fits=Car+Make%3AToyota&hash=item3aba13049f:g:b7MAAOSwo3pWggEa

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You might be better off asking in the Motors forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

You need the immobilizer box, along with the ECU

See if this is any help or a guide in the right direction (scroll down)

You'll need something to remove the shear screws for the ignition barrel, I used a hammer + chisel along with a set of bolt extractors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

...or he could just tape his existing key alongside the pick-up on the new barrel. Especially easier if he has a spare key to begin with and continue using the original key to lock/unlock the car.
    OP the only part of the immobilizer that concerns you is the pick-up.
    This is a plastic ring around the ignition barrel at the end where the key inserts. It will have a wire coming from it , usually with a connection a bit further along. It doesn't matter which pick-up you use (the original, or the one from the Breaker's Barrel).
    Sometimes you will even get away with just having an original key on the Key-ring....if the pick-up has a decent range.

You need the immobilizer box, along with the ECU

See if this is any help or a guide in the right direction (scroll down)

You'll need something to remove the shear screws for the ignition barrel, I used a hammer + chisel along with a set of bolt extractors

thanks for the links, from what I read you think I need to replace the entire barrel along with the ignition switch

Per this video, the switch is a seperate device attached to the barrel.........however I am open to correction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouUlyhVuRXE

• Advertisement

When you say "given up" what exactly do you mean ?
    Can the Key be turned in the Barrel ?
    Is it just that the Engine won't turn over ?
    If it's the latter then the usual fix is a Start button wired off the rear of the Ignition and fitted on the lower Dash. This is a fairly common issue with Toyota's from that era.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    If it's the latter then the usual fix is a Start button wired off the rear of the Ignition and fitted on the lower Dash. This is a fairly common issue with Toyota's from that era.

cant turn the key in the barrell

Pity you can't turn the key. Try wiggling it a good few times. If you can get it to ACC (Radio on) there is a pin you can push which releases the Barrel Centre and would make your job a good bit easier.

Have a google of "toyota remove ignition barrel acc" plenty of info there. Some suggest tapping the key with a hammer while trying to turn it to ACC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Pity you can't turn the key. Try wiggling it a good few times. If you can get it to ACC (Radio on) there is a pin you can push which releases the Barrel Centre and would make your job a good bit easier.

Have a google of "toyota remove ignition barrel acc" plenty of info there. Some suggest tapping the key with a hammer while trying to turn it to ACC.

Do what mgbt says... might take an hour wiggling, get some oil in there and you’ll eventually pop it to acc.
    Then take out the barrel, carefully dismantle it and take out the tumblers(google them)... there are usually about 5 or 6... just reinstall 1 or 2 of them and check the key turns the barrel with just them. That way you’ll have a someway secure system that’s key operated and it will cost you SFA!

Marty.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Do what mgbt says... might take an hour wiggling, get some oil in there and you’ll eventually pop it to acc.
    Then take out the barrel, carefully dismantle it and take out the tumblers(google them)... there are usually about 5 or 6... just reinstall 1 or 2 of them and check the key turns the barrel with just them. That way you’ll have a someway secure system that’s key operated and it will cost you SFA!

Marty.

I like your thinking, how do you dismantle the barrel, something I havent done before

Apparently its possible to get the key to ACC with some effort and time and patience, hearing info 2nd hand at the min

• Advertisement

I like your thinking, how do you dismantle the barrel, something I havent done before

Apparently its possible to get the key to ACC with some effort and time and patience, hearing info 2nd hand at the min

It will be pretty obvious once you go at it. IIRC it should come straight out by pulling the key towards you once you have stripped around it. (There will be some kind of retaining collar)
    Then you will see the tumblers moving in and out as you slide the key in and out, allowing the barrel to turn/not turn... you’ll likely spot the offending ones at this point...
    You could actually take all the tumblers out if you want... it ain’t going to start with the wrong key anyway!
    I do remember taking out those sheared bolts aswell.., they spin out real easy once I got any bit of grip on them, they were on the steering lock section, and I can’t for the life of me remember if I really needed them out or not(I’m thinking I may have not needed to go to the hassle... but I can’t remember!!)
    I did this with my last car, worked a treat.
    Marty.

As far as I remember if you can get the Key to the Acc position there is a square button on the Barrel which needs to be pushed in to release the barrel.
    I think it's a Brass colour and sits flush with the Barrel. It's about halfway along the outer Barrel.

What type of switch would you recommend using for that

The pin configuration is as follows
    Lock Open
    Acc Pin 5 Pin 6 Continuity
    On 1-4 5-8-8
    Start 1-3-4 5-7-8

A 'Start Switch' would normally be used when the Key turns fine but there is no contact when trying to actually start the car.

In your case, as the key is difficult/impossible to turn you really have 3 reasonably-priced choices.
    (a) Swap the Barrel and key for one from a Breakers, and place the original key near the immobilizer pick-up to allow the car to be started.

(b) Take the existing Barrel apart and remove some/all of tumblers to allow the key to turn.

(c) Buy a cheap Switch and Key and fit it (and wire it) to the lower console and still place the original key beside the immobilzer pick-up. something similar to this one on Ebay;
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Replacement-Ignition-Switch-Lock-Cylinder-2-Keys-for-Car-Auto-Car/283352315643?epid=1666056138&hash=item41f91d36fb:g:g9UAAOSwKphcSucX:rk:3:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Have soured and changed the ignition barrel and with the original key held up beside the head of new key it still won’t start

Any ideas

Have soured and changed the ignition barrel and with the original key held up beside the head of new key it still won’t start

Any ideas

Is it cranking?
    If so... you need to check if you’ve a spark or not... if not chances are your immobilizer is not picking up the original key.

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Is it cranking?
    If so... you need to check if you’ve a spark or not... if not chances are your immobilizer is not picking up the original key.

Your right, it appears it can only read one chip at the time, and it appears it must be exactly 2” or thereabouts back from it.

Via some messing around I got it to start earlier on

Trying to swap over the steel pin of key from one to the other and jb weld in place

Your right, it appears it can only read one chip at the time, and it appears it must be exactly 2” or thereabouts back from it.

Via some messing around I got it to start earlier on

Trying to swap over the steel pin of key from one to the other and jb weld in place

You could always try get the old barrel to work too of course... remove a few tumblers..

Advertisement