Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North West and South East facing Garden

Options
  • 12-02-2019 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello All,
    I am going to sign the contract to buy a house, i am struggling which house is the best choice, that's new house so i can deside, Should the North West facing garden better than South Ease facing garden i will get more sunlight and enjoy the warm day in the garden after work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is a hard question to answer without some details, particularly adjacent property and any trees that might throw shadow in the late afternoon and evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

MAGGIE_LU wrote: »
    Hello All,
    I am going to sign the contract to buy a house, i am struggling which house is the best choice, that's new house so i can deside, Should the North West facing garden better than South Ease facing garden i will get more sunlight and enjoy the warm day in the garden after work?

Sun sets in the West so you have more of a view of the sunset in the evening when facing West. We also get our most regular strong winds from the West. South facing gets more light over the full length of the day. The East and North side of the garden being open will expose it to some of the colder winds we get in the winter which come from the continent and the Arctic. The garden will have light blocked by your own house and also other houses, walls, hedges and trees. I think you would have to stand in the garden of each house in the evening to get a good impression of how much light each garden gets at that time of day. I don't think your post gives enough information to give a definite answer as to which garden would be nicer in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MAGGIE_LU

Thanks for your reply, i have a site plan at my hand, but don't know how to attach it to this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

South East means you will et the morning sun from 6 AM, this is great if your kitchen is at the back of the house.

The sun will move round by early afternoon so unless you have a long garden you probably wont get much sun in the evening.

South West is the best orientation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Click the Go Advanced reply link and you'll see attach files window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Check this site, input your address and you can see sun rise/set and it's orientation and shading at different times of the year:
    https://www.suncalc.org/#/53.3483,-6.2596,17/2019.02.12/16:27/1/3

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MAGGIE_LU

Thank you , Suncalc is so useful, thank you all.

Advertisement