Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Replacement Fears...

• 12-02-2019 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My aunt of just over 70 is planning on heading from Belfast to Dublin for hip replacement surgery. She is currently getting the referral letter and seeking a consultant at the Mater Hospital. We are currently doing some research into surgeons as the qualifications mean very little to us (and assume that they are at the top of their professions to be there) which leaves picking a surgeon via photograph (which although is how I pick my race horses for the Grand National, since I haven't had much luck choosing by jockey colours I would rather avoid for a surgeon)

Does anyone have any recommendations for surgeons?

Her confidence is eroding on a daily basis whilst waiting on the surgery, given that she is now quite unsteady on her feet and her ultra independence (spinster lady) means she has become quite fearful of the procedure and the respite time to recover as she is a dog owner, involved in charity work and likes to be active.

Could anyone provide me with some details on their own experience? Either via the Mater or another hospital in Dublin for the same procedure. I would like to ease her fears as much as possible and I feel that if I could provide her with some details of how others found it, this might help her to overcome any anxiety she might feel.

Any help, gratefully received!

Catriona

Comments

Advertisement