Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much do you earn

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Only my other half, my employer and my bank know how much I earn. If anyone asks, my reply is "enough to be comfortable but a little more would be nice".

I would never ask someone how much they earned as its none of my business tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

uch wrote: »
    I'm a civil servant, it's common knowlege we all earn €85K a year

Still stuck in the cheap seats then ??? ;)

I'm civil service as well and I pay more than that in tax !!!!

(I don't actually but apparently when I retire I'm going to be living in a gold plated house driving a gold plated car and crapping in a gold plated bowl..... and I'm getting all that for free!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for it.. :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Muckka wrote: »
    It's handy in a relationship where you're paying the same bills and maybe doing home improvements or saving for a holiday.

I think if you're living with someone and for the long haul you don't know or have an idea of your partner's earnings there's something iffy.

That's exactly what I'm arguing. On a date, of course you don't disclose that information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Worked for myself for 10 years. Stressed to the hilt. Earned really good money but personal life suffered in many ways. Took shift work 2 years ago now earning 40k. Wife earns considerably more. Life took a turn for the better once I made that decision. I have time to live. In every way I am so much better off. Never gauge being better off in money terms but quality of life. West of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Junkyard Dog

I never understand why it is such a weird thing to ask or say.
    I happily tell people what I am on

Yeah I don't understand it either! I remember my Dad getting highly offended when I asked him how much he made when I was a child.
    I genuinely don't understand how some people consider it private or personal details. Fair enough if it's a bargaining chip as part of contract negotiations or something like that, but at the end of the day it means nothing if you earn 25K or 250K does it?? It doesn't change a single thing about you!
    I'm a civil servant and I earn approx €28000. Don't get me wrong, I'd love if it was more but like I said, it doesn't change a single thing about me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if you have your health, you're wealthy. so i think anyway. an elderly woman in the early stages of dementia said it to me the other evening.
    i dont earn much, i work hard and we have enough so happy here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

That's exactly what I'm arguing. On a date, of course you don't disclose that information.

Noooo never disclose it.

You'll always have some chancer in Copper's on a Saturday night getting away with lying his way to a one night stand pretending he's absolutely loaded.

Back in the late 90's early 00's
    I knew a guy who was a right bastard telling women he was a surgeon, the amount of women who fell for it, he was an ugly cnut too...
    He'd say he's from Cork so the unfortunate lady would bring him home.

And the irony of it one of the other guy's was extremely attractive and had a body to die for, he was a fisherman and they'll show no interest...

Money talks and bull shet walks....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Muckka wrote: »
    Noooo never disclose it.

You'll always have some chancer in Copper's on a Saturday night getting away with lying his way to a one night stand pretending he's absolutely loaded.

Back in the late 90's early 00's
    I knew a guy who was a right bastard telling women he was a surgeon, the amount of women who fell for it, he was an ugly cnut too...
    He'd say he's from Cork so the unfortunate lady would bring him home.

And the irony of it one of the other guy's was extremely attractive and had a body to die for, he was a fisherman and they'll show no interest...

Money talks and bull shet walks....

Doesn't say much for the women who fell it tbh.

Would it work the other way round? Like fck it would.

Most of my friends do the same work so we all know roughly what each place pays in the city. We all think working conditions and hours are more important anyway.

I've no issue saying what I earn, except in work itself cause I'm on a good bit more than the newer hires, who are more qualified but less experienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

farmchoice wrote: »
    whatever happened to him? he was great craic, a complete fantasist but there was nothing he didn't know.
    i see he has not been active since last summer and has deleted all his posts, did someone call him out on all the crazy lies in the end?

I think he chose to leave over something to do with GDPR, or deleting user data or...something. There was a big feedback thread you can find where he had many posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I would argue it is her business as we live together and pay bills together but hey we all do relationships differently.

Not really. if you're asked to contribute x to living cost, mortgage, holidays etc and you do contribute x then that's fair enough IMO.
    I know how much my partner makes and she has a fair idea what I make although she has never asked me. We split everything 50/50 and I guess whatever saving schemes etc we have after that is our own business. I suppose its different strokes for different folks .

Not that I'm particularly guarded about it or anything but I would find it strange if a friend came straight out and asked me how much I earned.

HBC08 wrote: »
    Not really. if you're asked to contribute x to living cost, mortgage, holidays etc and you do contribute x then that's fair enough IMO.
    I know how much my partner makes and she has a fair idea what I make although she has never asked me. We split everything 50/50 and I guess whatever saving schemes etc we have after that is our own business. I suppose its different strokes for different folks .

Not that I'm particularly guarded about it or anything but I would find it strange if a friend came straight out and asked me how much I earned.

I would find that strange too and said friend would be told to mind their business but I'm talking about being in a long term relationship, OH earns less so its not 50/50. Why would we not know what each other earns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Its vulgar to talk about money.

Everyone on this site earns €100k+ per year and throws dozens of CVs in the bin everyday.

U new here m8?

Who hurt you, Jay?

I’ve always paid the lions share of household expenses, so what happens with the rest outside of some agreed discretionary expenditure and shared savings contributions is my business and nobody else’s. She might have an idea what I earn, ballpark figure, but that’s all. Similar for me when it comes to her income. No need to get into more detail than that.

Might be different when you’re spending everything that comes in, but we’re not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 jordo333

I get give or take, it works out at about with expenses 140,000 a year and I pay 30.3% tax on that, so it’s about a net 100,000 and out of that 100,000 I run a home in Dublin, Castlebar and Brussels. I wanna tell you something, try it sometime…

JayZeus wrote: »
    I’ve always paid the lions share of household expenses, so what happens with the rest outside of some agreed discretionary expenditure and shared savings contributions is my business and nobody else’s. She might have an idea what I earn, ballpark figure, but that’s all. Similar for me when it comes to her income. No need to get into more detail than that.

Might be different when you’re spending everything that comes in, but we’re not.

So you do know what each other earns then.

I don't think your last sentence cuts it, wouldn't matter if everything is being spent or not, you're still in a relationship and money still matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I run my own small business, and have had two extremely strong years. So I'm paying myself a decent salary this year, and using some of it to invest in property and land. The years 2010-2014 were extremely tough, and I nearly had to wrap the whole thing up at one stage. So I'm much more aware of diversifying my interests, and maintaining positive cash flow. Lack of cash and working capital is fatal to a small business. I import from outside the EU, and do all my business in Ireland, so hopefully the impact of Brexit is minimised. However even a small downturn in the economy will be challenging, as the goods I sell and install are used to produce goods that customers buy using discretionary income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Like a few posters have said- I think its vulgar to talk about money with people.

Your Face wrote: »
    Like a few posters have said- I think its vulgar to talk about money with people.

"I'm getting by" is more than sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I've read the 1st page and the last, has anyone actually admitted what they earn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I would find that strange too and said friend would be told to mind their business but I'm talking about being in a long term relationship, OH earns less so its not 50/50. Why would we not know what each other earns?

When i said 50/50 i meant all our costs of living are shared equally....everything.So it doesnt really matter if i earn more than her or vice versa.We both pay a hefty amount into a joint account monthly. We both have money to spend/invest/save after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

NIMAN wrote: »
    I've read the 1st page and the last, has anyone actually admitted what they earn?

One guy so far by my count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

jordo333 wrote: »
    I get give or take, it works out at about with expenses 140,000 a year and I pay 30.3% tax on that, so it’s about a net 100,000 and out of that 100,000 I run a home in Dublin, Castlebar and Brussels. I wanna tell you something, try it sometime…

A "Class Act" altogether ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Your Face wrote: »

I tend to think that's a line that suits employers and rich people very nicely. Don't want the peasants talking to each other about their lot.

Rich people or rich-wannabes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Enough to begrudgingly hand over 3k for car Insurance but not enough that I didn't crib a smidgen about it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

uch wrote: »
    I'm a civil servant, it's common knowlege we all earn €85K a year

And we pay no tax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I was polled by Behaviour and Attitudes today. One of the questions was about how much you earn, and the pollster skipped over it, without asking me (saw it on the tablet as they pressed skip). Don't think we like to ask about money in Ireland.

So you do know what each other earns then.

I don't think your last sentence cuts it, wouldn't matter if everything is being spent or not, you're still in a relationship and money still matters.

No, we don't know. If we did, I'd have stated such. My income can fluctuate a lot from month to month, sometimes by large net amounts.

She knows what I'm comfortable spending per month overall on shared expenditure, and she can try to work out for herself what she thinks I earn, roughly, if she wants. On that basis, she can form an impression of what I may earn. How close she is, I don't know, because we have no need to discuss such matters in detail.

I tell her the number per month and that's what she works with for budgeting. If I say for now until further notice there is €x per month and you've to keep that in mind, that's how it goes and she does a grand job looking after things. She doesn't ask if there's more or not. I wouldn't tell her anyway and she knows it. Likewise, if she has to adjust what she can contribute downwards and needs me to up things a bit, I trust that she's fair and honest and I show her respect by accepting her at her word.

People who think they've some automatic right to know their partners personal financial means just because they're in a relationship are odd. You discuss the intended financial commitment, decide what you need to put in to meet that obligation, then do your bit to cover it. You help each other when something changes, but the specifics are not relevant in our relationship. If she needs something more every now and then or on an ongoing basis, it's there or will be with a little notice. And vice versa. We support each other, but that doesn't mean I need to know the extent of her means or her know mine. Her business, her personal finances, are hers. None of my business. No need for them to be when we're not cutting it fine and living payday to payday.

So there now. I'm well able to speak for myself.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I don't get the taboo around talking about salaries, I think it's interesting and it's useful to benchmark yourself to other similar roles, companies etc. Fair enough if you don't want to share though, but never understood why people consider it super rude.

I like when colleagues / team members share their salary and vice versa. If someone on your team with roughly the same skillset is being paid more, wouldn't you want to know?

I saw the fallout when a few colleagues found out they were earning about 65% of what I was paid to do the same job and had been doing it for a few years longer. So, no, it's not in anyones interest to discuss these things in non-unionised private sector firms except those who were happy enough until they found out. The employer in question prohibited such discussion in their contract of employment, and with good reason. It came from a mouthy gimp who didn't last it through his probation but who was hired at the same intake as I was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I tend to think that's a line that suits employers and rich people very nicely. Don't want the peasants talking to each other about their lot.

Rich people or rich-wannabes.

The problem is that the peasants, as you call them, often don't react intelligently upon receiving this information.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is that seriously a thing? :eek:

It absolutely is. Well known IT multinational with bulletproof contracting. Salary was covered under a non-disclosure clause. Several people 'managed out' for attempting to organise. These guys have zero time for disruptive behaviour like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Gonad

I’m on 175K after tax .

It absolutely is. Well known IT multinational with bulletproof contracting. Salary was covered under a non-disclosure clause. Several people 'managed out' for attempting to organise. These guys have zero time for disruptive behaviour like that.

Why would someone be earning less for the exact same work in the same company as their colleague? I'm not that familiar with the private sector so am probably a bit naive here. Is it because the bigger earner has greater qualifications? In which case why are they both doing the same work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Why would someone be earning less for the exact same work in the same company as their colleague? I'm not that familiar with the private sector so am probably a bit naive here. Is it because the bigger earner has greater qualifications? In which case why are they both doing the same work?

Because they weren’t a strong negotiator in many cases. Didn’t realise what they could get with a bit of hardball and a willingness to walk away.

I work in Sales and have only cottoned onto this in recent years. It’s a pretty integral part of my job now. Shoot for 50% more of what you’d actually be happy with and see where you land. Prepare in bullet point form the value you’re bringing to the company and why you’re worth it. Turn and walk if it’s shut down outright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Was it you who had four jobs in four years, with 10k extra every year?
    I'm on more than most my colleagues because I'm a better negotiator, I accepted their 3rd offer, rejected the first two,others accept the first offer. I also get offers from other companies, if they don't match I leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Gonad wrote:
    I’m on 175K after tax .

I'm on 176k after tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Gonad wrote: »
    I’m on 175K after tax .

But your name is Gonad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

crusier wrote: »
    I'm on 176k after tax

what is your job

• Advertisement

Because in many companies they’ll pay as little or as much as they need (within reason) to hire a candidate they want to come and work for them. There are salary scales and limitations, but the more that take the lower offer, the more that remains in the pot to hire someone like me who won’t take a lowball offer, who will hold put for a better offer and more money. ‘Market rates’ is only starting point and if you’re already in the job and those rates are higher than you’re paid, they don’t apply to you. Want more money? Move. If you’re made an offer and it’s not what you know the role is worth, decline. You don’t get to renegotiate 6 months in. And with no unions, there’s more flexibility to negotiate for yourself and nobody dragged along by your coat tails.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

I have family in Norway. They’re extremely open about talking salary. In fact as a citizen you can check fellow citizens online to see how much tax they pay and thus how much they earn. The catch is the person you check gets notified giving the details of the person checking...!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I earn.....

.....enough, thank you very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

omega man wrote:
    I have family in Norway. They’re extremely open about talking salary. In fact as a citizen you can check fellow citizens online to see how much tax they pay and thus how much they earn. The catch is the person you check gets notified giving the details of the person checking...!

In my job all the new hires discuss their wage and increases over the last 4 years. The older guys dont. We see it as an advantage. We know whos the best and who done the most and as such know if we recieved a fair rise with regards to each other.

One guy got shafted and has been operating at 20% output for the last 10 months with nothing said. He follows all the rules to a tee and as such is untouchable. Looking forward to seeing if the boss caves and looks after him this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

three fiddy

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Gonad wrote: »
    I’m on 175K after tax .
    175 kroner after tax?

Fcuking Hell the Norwegian taxman must be a right Canute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

International truck driver.

Just under 1000 per week plus 250 rental income.

Wages probably work out more because of free meals on the Ferries and virtually zero commuting costs.

I'm comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cjragoo

Why do people find asking this rude? It's only money who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

cjragoo wrote: »
    Why do people find asking this rude? It's only money who cares?

Cos it's none of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cjragoo

Edward M wrote: »
    Cos it's none of your business.

I still don't get it. Asking most people their sexual orientation they'd have no problems answering but ask them how much money they make and suddenly you're rude and should mind your own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

cjragoo wrote: »
    I still don't get it. Asking most people their sexual orientation they'd have no problems answering but ask them how much money they make and suddenly you're rude and should mind your own business.

Because most people would view it as an invasion of privacy perhaps, or a way of judging them based on income.

• Advertisement
Advertisement