Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Paris Saint-Germain, Round of 16 1st Leg, RTE2 & BT Sport 2, 8pm

• 12-02-2019 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

manchester-united-paris-saint-germain.jpg

1st Leg Match Odds

Man Utd 6/5
    Draw 12/5
    PSG 11/5

It's the kind of match the Champions League is made for as these two sides meet in a competitive fixture for the first time.

When the draw was made United were on their knees domestically, Pogba was struggling to get off the bench, and the team looked like they'd struggle to score in Coppers; PSG meanwhile had just finished top of the toughest Champions League group and were confident of success on all fronts.

Since then Solskjaer's arrival has seen United claw their way back into the top four, seen Pogba emerge as one of Europe's most in-form midfielders, and the team scoring goals and playing attractive football; PSG on the other hand have lost talismanic figures Neymar and Cavani to injury, plus RB Thomas Meunier, and midfielder Rabiot has expressed the desire to leave and been frozen out of the squad. As well as that, they were knocked out of the French League Cup by bottom club Guingamp and recently lost their unbeaten run in Ligue 1 to Lyon.

While the momentum seems to be with United, the defence still looks suspect and De Gea's heroics have helped smooth over the cracks. And while PSG have lost some oomph in their attack, Mbappe, Di Maria and Draxler are attacking weapons worthy of any side.

It promises to be a cracking occasion. Two of the brightest young attacking players around in Mbappe and Rashford, United's French stars Pogba and Martial aiming to take out their country's best hope of a Champions League win, former United player Di Maria looking to prove a point on his return, and two coaches whose future at their respective clubs in many ways hinges on this tie.

I reckon the first leg could be quite scrappy and cagey. I think we might have to wait until the second leg for it to truly open up. A lot of talk has been about the PSG attack but I think it's their midfield that will worry Tuchel most with Verratti only just back at the weekend with an hour under his belt. As a result, I think Pogba will be the key man. Expecting a solid showing from Matic as well. Also looking forward to Rashford against Thiago Silva as the defender's having a good season. Draxler is another who is going under the radar a bit; I think he's been an underrated performer for PSG and I fancy he'll step up with Neymar and Cavani absent.

I'll say 2-1 to United on the night with it all to play for going into the second leg.

What way do you see tonight going?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Could go any way.

Once everyone has a nice time thats the main thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Genuinely have been trying to distract myself all day from thinking about it. To go into a match like this not fearing the worst is something I haven’t felt since the Fergie days.

We could win or lose but at least we’ll give it a good go. Going to go for a 2-1 United win. That won’t be a great scoreline to win the tie but a win would be a fine result regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats a very good price for Utd at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

PSG are a serious outfit but I wouldn't rule United out, fancy them for the draw.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Our defence tends to give up more chances for the other team while our attack has waned just a little bit in the past 2-3 games compared to the first five under OGS. I'd hope for a 4-1 but feel a 2-2 is on the cards with the talent PSG have despite their injuries. Could really go either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

Should be a great game of football. Two free-flowing teams in great form. Looking forward to this as a neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thats a very good price for Utd at home.

It's not really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

United really should be winning this one handily. Fancy them to win comfortably tonight. 4-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With the injury crisis PSG are in and Man U being the most inform team in Europe over the last 10 games it will be an easy home win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

6/5 is a good price at home to PSG? Go away out of that, 4/1 is a good price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Team news:
    Manchester United XI: De Gea; Young, Bailly, Lindelof, Shaw; Herrera, Matic, Pogba; Lingard, Rashford, Martial.

PSG XI: Buffon; Kehrer, Thiago Silva, Kimpembe, Bernat; Marquinhos, Verratti; Dani Alves, Draxler, Di Maria; Mbappe.

No great surprise in either team. Buffon gets the nod over Areola.

Let's go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

PSG are a powder puff side, winning Ligue 1 wearing slippers and smoking jacket is no way to prepare for the knockout stages of the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

a fullback and center back in midfield for PSG, they are there for the taking..

Peter Collins on commentary? Has George been demoted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The best bet for me is 7/10 both teams to score. 2/1 peno anytime is also a decent bet.

I don’t know what to expect TBH.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

PSG without Cavani and Neymar, think this is a very good chance for utd tonight. Given their form, I'd fancy them tonight. Defence holding Di Maria and Mbappe will be key of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Peter Collins on commentary? Has George been demoted?

George has been a shambles mixing up players for years now. Great commentator in his day but needs to be replaced

Unearthly wrote: »
    George has been a shambles mixing up players for years now. Great commentator in his day but needs to be replaced

Agreed, but never thought they'd actually do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Jeez I wish I was as confident as some in here, Nerves wrecked....

Hamilton has not only been mixing up players he seems to be permanently behind the action.

• Advertisement

Loved Duff as a player but he is a really awful pundit.

Well, turns out George is on commentary after all.

Loved Duff as a player but he is a really awful pundit.

Does he and Scholes ever end up on the same panel? That would be hard going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Lingard is an intriguing player to watch when United attack through the middle with his runs, very intelligent player for a guy who gives an image of a clown at times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

PSG fans making a fair old noise to be fair to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

PSG so much nicer to watch without that arse Neymar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Has Mbappe touched the ball?

Nice move there involving Pogba. Buffon looking a bit shaky early on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Hamilton almost jizzed himself there. For what? Pogba breaking out of canter.

• Advertisement

There is no need for Man U players to be doing a hatch job on the PSG players did they not learn anything at all from the Liverpool games against PSG.

Pogba needs to watch himself given he's on a yellow card ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Far too much respect given to PSG from Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Someone's getting sent off at the rate this ref is throwing out yellows.

Two feet studs up Pogba lucky this ref didn't give him a second yellow.

5 yellows so far!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Kimpembe lucky not to be off. RTE commentators are idiots

This will flare up now

The ref is going to decide this tie if the players let him.

PSG edging ever closer with good counter attacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This referee is quite erratic. Some challenges that are cast iron yellows getting overlooked yet some standard fouls and he cant get his hand in his pocket quick enough.

Good start by United but Paris now gaining a foothold and playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Linesman has a neck on him like a giraffe.

• Advertisement

Martial coming off. He's been pretty quiet. Alexis magic needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That's dirty by Young

Young is a sneaky player. Should be off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Young knew what he was doing there. Wonder will the ref bottle it or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Young should be off for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Jim Beglin.

Just why?

This ref is barmy!!

Nasty from Young.

No surprise from that Young would be nasty though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Cowardly act.

• Get in Young

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement