Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Paris Saint-Germain, Round of 16 1st Leg, RTE2 & BT Sport 2, 8pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Kimpembe should have been sent off ?..for what?

A couple of tackles BT pundits deemed yellow cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

He was booked early doors and had 2 or 3 incidents that could have been bookings after that.

Meh, doesn't matter, we were cat, even without two super players we were schooled.

Good to see so many lads in here filling their boots, I was beginning to get concerned for their safety when I didn't see them around.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

He pulled Rashford down blatantly not long before his goal. How the ref didn't give it was just bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

A couple of tackles BT pundits deemed yellow cards.

Not every tackle is a yellow card. There'd be no one left on the pitch if people think kimpembe should have walked tonight.

Shaw diving first half trying to get him a second yellow, yet didn't get booked for it. Young not getting a second yellow for the Di Maria incident. These things even themselves out. Thought the ref did well tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Interesting stat - Utd have scored one goal at home in 4 CL matches this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

superg wrote: »
    Ref was abysmal to be fair, their goal scorer could have been off before he scored it, probably should have been. Young too. Card happy. So many poor refs out there, England and Europe.

In that case Pogba should have been off in the 1st half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

No point blaming the ref, we didn't lose because of the ref. They simply exposed our lack of options outside of our best 11.

I firmly believe city can still do to us what they did to chelsea last weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Considering so many people harp on about the amount money City spend and so on.

Your right. United need to spend money for a change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

For this ...
    Mushy wrote: »
    He pulled Rashford down blatantly not long before his goal. How the ref didn't give it was just bizarre

I thought it was cynical at the time and he was already on a yellow so thought he got away with one but happy he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

It was a foul but not a yellow. Ref did okay, he gave both teams there fair share of yellows and wasn't left with much options for Pogba. It's not the first time that Pogba has tried that move, he got away with the same thing a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Shelvey did the same tackle on Pogba and pundits and fans a like went into meltdown.

Pogba has done the same tackle twice in the last few weeks and all you get is he was unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

recyclebin wrote: »
    It was a foul but not a yellow. Ref did okay, he gave both teams there fair share of yellows and wasn't left with much options for Pogba. It's not the first time that Pogba has tried that move, he got away with the same thing a few weeks ago.

Young did the very same thing in the first half and it was a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The ref was not to blame. UTD were exposed as bang average for only 20 odd mins and conceded 2 goals. Pogba was stupid with that tackle. Missing Martial and Lindgard will hurt if they are serious injuries. Could have done with Side show and Lukaku to launch an aerial attack. Weren’t going to score any other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Young did the very same thing in the first half and it was a yellow.

Refs tend to hand out the first yellow a lot quicker than the second. They give a bit more leeway instead of sending people off for two yellows.

I think the pundits got it wrong for Youngs tackle on Di Maria. That wasn't a second yellow card offence in my opinion. The slope on the side of the pitch is irrelevant as the shoulder charge happened on the pitch inside the white line. It's bad stadium design and not much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

recyclebin wrote: »
    Refs tend to hand out the first yellow a lot quicker than the second. They give a bit more leeway instead of sending people off for two yellows.

I think the pundits got it wrong for Youngs tackle on Di Maria. That wasn't a second yellow card offence in my opinion. The slope on the side of the pitch is irrelevant as the shoulder charge happened on the pitch inside the white line. It's bad stadium design and not much else.

I'm talking about Young's first yellow when he had a slight tug at Mbappe as he ran across him. Same thing was done to Rashford in the 2nd half and not even a foul given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

So ole is not the second coming of Alex Ferguson?

Not surprised but tactically he got it very wrong,

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

fdadsdsaad.jpg

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Alves very lucky he didn’t have his foot planted there, could’ve been a career ended at his age. To be fair to Pogba, I doubt it was intentional as you can see his eyes on the ball in that picture and a still shot can make anything look worse. Still a blatant red card though, can’t believe it was only given as a second yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Didn't see the game, but saw the incident with Young and Di Maria.

Pretty scummy behavior by young, IMHO. It's one thing playing hard and tough, but to basically try to injure another professional player is a pretty low act. Cowardly too, Di Maria was basically defenceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

rob316 wrote: »

If he’s given the same amount of time as SAF he might be.... I’d be ok with them letting him grow into the role and learn from games like tonight if there are genuine reasons to believe he has the character and chops to make it.

He’s been at the club 2 months , hasn’t made any signings and has a squad that no manager could make into world beaters. Tonight was very disappointing but I think could be vital so we can see what Ole is made of. It’s easy to keep everybody happy when you are winning, now how does he pick them up. Can he adapt or show an ability to learn from tonight’s game. That’s more important then going out to PSG.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

rob316 wrote: »

Who said he was :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Necro wrote: »
    Who said he was :confused:

Rob. He alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Pogba was bout 3 feet away from the ball and 3 feet up the opposition players legs with studs. Not good whatever the intent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Given Dani Alves is about 5 foot 8 and pogba makes contact just below the knee, I feel three feet up the opposition might be a slight exaggeration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Must say it shows up the Premier League big time and is a great compliment to Ligue 1. All that stuff about PSG being in a league where they aren't tested and in the end they made the fourth best team in England look like most teams they face in Ligue 1. PSG also topped the group with Liverpool, and Lyon took 4 points off City and were the better team over both legs. Monaco deservedly beat Spurs and Man City a few seasons ago too. There's not the chasm between the two leagues that Sky would have us believe. I bought into the Premier League hype myself for this tie if I'm honest. Lesson learned.

I don't think that's really fair. I mean Liverpool actually beat PSG at home this season, and they deserved to beat them, and they had their full strength team out.

Ligue 1 is dominated by PSG, Bundesliga dominated by Bayern, La Liga by Barcelona and Real, Serie A dominated by Juventus. But the EPL isn't really dominated by anyone to the same degree, both Manchesters, Liverpool, Sprus, Chelsea, Arsenal and even Leicester are all in with a shout. It genuinely makes it the most intriguing league to follow by far in Europe.

I hate it when Sky build it up as 'the best league in the world'. They would do that about the Welsh league if they needed to. But the EPL is really much more competitive and fun to watch. Even the weaker teams in the league like Newcastle and West Ham get over 50,000 at their games. I love how competitive the whole thing is, and the atmospheres at most stadiums is incredible (although the German teams are top notch for crowds as well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,215 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That is a very similar tackle by Pogba on Alves as the Pogba on Alli one..... a trend starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

With the injury crisis PSG are in and Man U being the most inform team in Europe over the last 10 games it will be an easy home win.

You what, to be fair you went a bit overboard with the comment "most inform team in Europe", you don't watch Barca or even Juve then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Didn't see the game, but saw the incident with Young and Di Maria.

Pretty scummy behavior by young, IMHO. It's one thing playing hard and tough, but to basically try to injure another professional player is a pretty low act. Cowardly too, Di Maria was basically defenceless.

How that was not a straight red card is beyond me. Pogba was a tad unlucky but the tackle did deserve a yellow so there you go but youngs challange was needless, cowardly and could have caused a serious injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How that was not a straight red card is beyond me. Pogba was a tad unlucky but the tackle did deserve a yellow so there you go but youngs challange was needless, cowardly and could have caused a serious injury.

Should referees be taking into account things that are off the pitch when a tackle (that was a shoulder though) has taken place on the pitch? I don't hold any love for Young and it was a pretty unsporting thing to do, but I don't see how the ref can give a yellow for that.

Now, why is there no discussion about Kimpembe's antics? As for the person you've quoted above in your previous post, that's typical of the crap he posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You what, to be fair you went a bit overboard with the comment "most inform team in Europe", you don't watch Barca or even Juve then.

Ignore him,even Stevie Wonder can see what he's at. ;)

Barca have won 5 lost 2 drawn 3 of there last ten games.

Juve have won 8 drawn 2 of there last 10 games.

Man U the most inform team in Europe had won 9 and drawn 1 in there last 10 games before the lose last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭The Good Ole Boys

Why do you insist on calling them Man U? it's disrespectful and honestly, a real scumman thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Why do you insist on calling them Man U? it's disrespectful and honestly, a real scumman thing to do.

I read this before and thought it was a joke, maybe not... Why is it disrespectful and a "scumman" thing to do? Genuine question.

I never thought anything wrong with calling them United, Man U, Man United, etc. though I'm not a fan so wouldn't be up on what they should or shouldn't be called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Jesus wept. Calling a person a derogatory name is disrespectful. Calling a football club, and massive corporation something that has long been a shorthand version of their name is absolutely nothing. It's been around for years, fans say it, kids say it, opposition fans say it.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Jesus wept. Calling a person a derogatory name is disrespectful. Calling a football club, and massive corporation something that has long been a shorthand version of their name is absolutely nothing. It's been around for years, fans say it, kids say it, opposition fans say it.

Do you know the connotation behind saying "Man U"? You might want to do some research. Unless you are a hate-filled person who enjoys making light of the dead.

I am not even a United fan, but I respect history. It's a big pity others don't care.

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I read this before and thought it was a joke, maybe not... Why is it disrespectful and a "scumman" thing to do? Genuine question.

I never thought anything wrong with calling them United, Man U, Man United, etc. though I'm not a fan so wouldn't be up on what they should or shouldn't be called.

The term 'ManU' first came into existence with insult from West Brom fans who chanted this about a great United Legend, Duncan Edwards [one of the BUSBY Babes] as the rival fans said, "Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, man you are manure- rotting in your grave".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Do you know the connotation behind saying "Man U"? You might want to do some research. Unless you are a hate-filled person who enjoys making light of the dead.

I am not even a United fan, but I respect history. It's a big pity others don't care.

I do, but you can absolutely take it back and own the term and make it something meaningless.

Just because some prats decided it was okay to make light of a tragedy 60 years ago, doesn't mean that they have have a grip on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Meh, Man U, shorthand for Manchester United. I don't see the issue unless offence is meant by the person using the term, which I would imagine is a tiny minority.

The poster was using it in a nefarious manner. He knows well what he is doing. It's like "always the victims" dig at Liverpool. In of itself, it's nothing, but there is a sinister subtext to it.

It's been Man U for decades. It's not disrespectful ffs. Pretty sure this came up before and the mods agreed.

I don't know any real life Utd fans that would be offended by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Man-U.jpg

GeoffBentBadgeC1957.jpg

Man U, Man Utd, , Sheff U, Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed, etc have all been round for donkey's years as shorthand. In particular, as part of typesetting on newspapers, to save space when printing results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The poster was using it in a nefarious manner. He knows well what he is doing. It's like "always the victims" dig at Liverpool. In of itself, it's nothing, but there is a sinister subtext to it.

For a lad who couldn't string a few words together to form a cohesive sentence last week you've improved remarkably in a short space of time.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    For a lad who couldn't string a few words together to form a cohesive sentence last week you've improved remarkably in a short space of time.

I am not a shill, but the Grammarly app has worked wonders for me. I thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liam O wrote: »
    Should referees be taking into account things that are off the pitch when a tackle (that was a shoulder though) has taken place on the pitch? I don't hold any love for Young and it was a pretty unsporting thing to do, but I don't see how the ref can give a yellow for that.

Even without the slope there I thought it was worth a yellow card. The ball was gone so it was completely unnecessary to shoulder a player that was clearly about to run off the field of play.

Not sure the ref would have give him a yellow though. I just hate that kind of snideness from Young. Kick a fella if you want to leave one on him but giving him a shove knowing he would go flying down a slope into metal barriers is just flat out dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

I am not a shill, but the Grammarly app has worked wonders for me. I thank you.

Me bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Me bollocks

Me My bollocks testicles.

Thanks Grammarly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Niche research alert!

The term 'ManU' first came into existence with insult from West Brom fans who chanted this about a great United Legend, Duncan Edwards [one of the BUSBY Babes] as the rival fans said, "Duncan Edwards is manure, rotting in his grave, man you are manure- rotting in your grave".

Me bollocks

You are calling me a shill? I would like to see your proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

the soccer forum has become a blizzard of fckin snowflakes faking taking offence to anything to garner thanks/cards

the soccer forum has become a blizzard of fckin snowflakes faking taking offence to anything to garner thanks/cards

This post is nothing but paranoia.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement