Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopped for going through an amber light.

Options
  • 12-02-2019 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Stopped by Guards for cycling through an amber light on my way home this evening. Tried to explain the light went amber when I was about 2 meters from it and would have to break hard to stop. Didn't know if there was another cyclist behind me and they possibly run into the back of me. He wasnt having any of it, insisted I should have stopped at the amber. Admitted to me the light was amber and not red.
    Fine to follow.
    I'm livid about this. I always comply to the rules of the road, even sit at a pedestrian red light even if no one is crossing.
    Obviously he was having a bad day and decided to take it out on the easiest target.
    BTW it was a pedestrian light with on one waiting to cross.
    We really are easy targets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Did the guards take any action? If so I'd stand for a while at those lights and video record never ending numbers of cats going through.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'd stand for a while at those lights and video record never ending numbers of cats going through.
    road traffic law does not apply to wild animals.

notwithstanding the typo, i don't see what good this would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Got stopped for this in a South Dublin village of a Sunday morning a while ago, a village which is very busy with cyclists. We stopped at the pedestrian crossroads on a red to let a lady and her daughter across, no problem there. When they had crossed we absentmindedly rolled through (still on red). Pulled us over, he threatened to take our bikes and put them in his van because he fancied them, but in fairness we ended up having a chat about mtbing in the Dublin mountains and he let us on our way. I think he was really bored. Sound fella!

Careful out there folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

Got to point out I didn't get lippy with him. Just point out under the rules of the road I did the right thing to continue as I couldn't have known if there was anyone close behind me. This seemed to annoy him.
    What do I do in future. Break hard if a green light changes to amber even if I'm already on top of it and risk another cyclist running into the back of me?
    Or continue on and risk another fine?
    Or maybe give up cycling and add to the Dublin traffic congestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Carry on, chances of it happening again are minuscule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Fine to follow....
    If you feel strongly about it don't pay the fine and argue you case in front of a judge. I'd send a formal letter with the fine request stating why you are refusing to pay - otherwise it might look like you just couldn't be arsed paying it.

(very frustrating will so many motorists blatantly ignoring red lights never mind amber ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I think you should take it on , have ur day in court ... I would .

Looked up how to appeal. Just a matter of filling out a form. to be honest I don't care about the 40eur fine, its more the principle of it.
    I used to run but the body gave up on me so I switched to cycling and love it. Great way to commute but incidents like this annoy me. As the most vulnerable road users we should be protected not have to put up with this type of thing from AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Camera on the handlebars. Any member who tried to FCPN me for a last minute amber would have to explain Sec 13 to a judge. Not because of the €40 just because they were being a knob.
    (2) A driver facing a traffic light lamp which shows an amber light while no other traffic light lamp (immediately above or below) shows any light, shall not proceed beyond the stop line at that light (or, if there is no such stop line, beyond the light) save when the vehicle is so close to the stop line when the amber light shows that the vehicle cannot safely be halted before crossing the stop line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Happened me in my car. He wasn't bothered that there was someone behind me either , he'd been standing there for 30 minutes clocking people breaking orange lights. The neighbors on the road I was turning right onto had made a complaint as they couldn't get out of their houses in the evening as the break in the traffic was too short to get out due to people breaking orange and red lights.

It was a fair point .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've never been unable to stop safely on amber on a bike, car or motorbike.

I don't claim to be perfect but just don't see the problem. Maybe because I learned to drive in a country with traffic light cameras and enforcement, you just wouldn't risk it. I was taught to prepare to stop on a stale green.

However, in this case I'd appeal. Very much doubt it will go to court.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

What do I do in future. Break hard if a green light changes to amber even if I'm already on top of it and risk another cyclist running into the back of me?
    Or continue on and risk another fine?
    Or maybe give up cycling and add to the Dublin traffic congestion?

How about slow down when approaching a junction and prepare to stop on the chance the green light that's been active for your entire approach is likely to change to yellow at any moment?

Just another option maybe. The same logic applies to a car. If anything tho, a car will normally fully clear a junction if they break an Amber before the other waiting cars get their green. The same can't be said for a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How about slow down when approaching a junction and prepare to stop on the chance the green light that's been active for your entire approach is likely to change to yellow at any moment?

Just another option maybe. The same logic applies to a car. If anything tho, a car will normally fully clear a junction if they break an Amber before the other waiting cars get their green. The same can't be said for a cyclist.

Was going to say about anticipating the light change but the OP might have only seen the lights across the road change to amber if he was that close to the lights on his side.

When taking off I always take off on when the pedestrian countdown timer is on 2 seconds because by the time I reach the other side of the junction the lights are green, and it gives me a jump on the car behind me, who are more often than not otherwise distracted.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.343656,-6.2699299,3a,75y,208.27h,88.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKPCkRIuL_OZvaFNfKTtTbA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This is the junction. I was at the white line, front of the beige car when the light turned amber. Garda car waiting to turn right, where the bus is. Dont think I would have time to shoulder check and stop before going through junction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Did the guards take any action? If so I'd stand for a while at those lights and video record never ending numbers of cats going through.

What about dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Even if you tried to stop you'd have ended up in the pedestrian crossing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Lumen wrote: »
    I've never been unable to stop safely on amber on a bike, car or motorbike.

Try Cork City. 2/3 cars go through after the light is red! And some even beep at you foe not doing it of you're in front of them! As for cyclists they just ignore the traffic lights altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

As you can’t get points on your licence here for cycling offenses it’s not the end of the world.

FYI > In Czech Republic (poss poland too) if you get caught with alcohol taken cycling, you get your licence taken off you, all of them. If you happen to have a truck / car licence etc - all gone!
    That’s if your a Czech citizen, but I suspect tourists are fined. On holidays there I was breathalyzer twice in the one day on a bike. It was 39 degrees near a lake area and they thought I was in the soup as lots of local bars around.

In ore recently I went through a yellow with an unmarked car tail gaiting me so I had little choice, I was then pulled

They said red, I said yellow on repeat, it was def yellow and safer to proceed than stop.

If you admit to a red you are an easy day in court for the guard.

I think you will be OK OP try not get too stressed about it.

The only time I was done on a motor bike was in bus lane when a special branch car was blocking the entire lane and I asked them to move :-) I got a 40 euro fine

Thems the breaks

Happy cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

professore wrote: »
    Try Cork City. 2/3 cars go through after the light is red!

You Cork people think you're better than the Dubs but you're not. Our drivers do that consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Driving like my brother joke

Two guys are driving. Well, actually, only one is driving, the other is riding. Anyway, they're driving along, and they come to a red light. The driver blows right through it! The passenger says "What the hell, man?! That was a red light!" The driver waves him off, saying, "My brother drives like this!"

So they drive a little while longer, and they come to another red light. Once again, the driver blows right through it. The passenger freaks out. The driver says, "Man, relax, alright? My brother always drives like this, and he's never been in one accident."

A few moments later, they come to a green light, and they stop. The passenger looks at the driver and says, "What the hell are you stopping now for?"

"Well, my brother might be coming the other way!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Tbh, telling you that a fine will follow might also have been an attempt to get you to admit to doing something that you haven't done. I wouldn't worry about it until a fine comes in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.343656,-6.2699299,3a,75y,208.27h,88.78t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKPCkRIuL_OZvaFNfKTtTbA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

This is the junction. I was at the white line, front of the beige car when the light turned amber. Garda car waiting to turn right, where the bus is. Dont think I would have time to shoulder check and stop before going through junction.

Christ, never a garda there when FX Buckly park their van at the blind turn and in the bike lane.

Also wouldn’t bother their hole removing the junkies from selling tabs 50 feet from that junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Obviously he was having a bad day and decided to take it out on the easiest target. BTW it was a pedestrian light with on one waiting to cross. We really are easy targets.

In the last two years, I have found an increasing number of occasions where the Garda are very zealous over marginal situations. Previously, something like this would have been dealt with with a verbal warning and a bit of finger wagging.

It's leaving me with the impression that they're more concerned about hitting targets rather than traditional policing. They are at risk of eroding the confidence of the silent majority of middle Ireland with their heavy handed approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭kirving

Didn't know if there was another cyclist behind me and they possibly run into the back of me..

That's their responsibility to see you brake and be able to stop in time, you should still stop at amber except in exceptional circumstances.

I obviously wasn't there, but I do think you were very hard done by given the description.

For what it's worth, I was pulled before we had on the spot fines, for stopping past the white line where the cyclist is, but in front of the pedestrian line. Gard then called me across the junction while the pedestrian lights were amber to say I had broken the light because I crossed the white line. Ended up with a lot more than a €40 fine.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3194561,-6.2906405,3a,48.8y,222.96h,83.77t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssvFlXU5gGKV_2ZPobjOcfw!2e0!5s20090701T000000!7i13312!8i6656

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

That's their responsibility to see you brake and be able to stop in time, you should still stop at amber except in exceptional circumstances.

I obviously wasn't there, but I do think you were very hard done by given the description.

For what it's worth, I was pulled before we had on the spot fines, for stopping past the white line where the cyclist is, but in front of the pedestrian line. Gard then called me across the junction while the pedestrian lights were amber to say I had broken the light because I crossed the white line. Ended up with a lot more than a €40 fine.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3194561,-6.2906405,3a,48.8y,222.96h,83.77t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssvFlXU5gGKV_2ZPobjOcfw!2e0!5s20090701T000000!7i13312!8i6656
    That seems fairly petty. Where was the Garda? I've never seen them at those lights and i go through there every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

If you feel strongly about it don't pay the fine and argue you case in front of a judge. I'd send a formal letter with the fine request stating why you are refusing to pay - otherwise it might look like you just couldn't be arsed paying it.

(very frustrating will so many motorists blatantly ignoring red lights never mind amber ones).

Unlikely that the Garda will show up for this, likely (but ofc not certain) that it will just be struck out for non-appearance by the Garda. You will lose a morning though, even if the Garda doesn't show up, and you will not get "your day in court". Also since it is such a minor offence it is likely that the judge will not take a huge interest in the case and that it will be dealt with swiftly. Even if the garda does arrive he might just apply for a strike out before the case begins.

If it does run and you are convicted after contesting it (and you might well be convicted if the garda gives evidence that you had time to stop and should have stopped) the penalty will be more than the €40 fixed penalty notice. You would be naive to go to court thinking that you won't be convicted if you are innocent, it would not be at all surprising if the version of events given by the garda under oath is significantly different from the version you have given here.

Not trying to encourage you to plead / accept the FPN, just suggesting you consider the practical realities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭kirving

That seems fairly petty. Where was the Garda? I've never seen them at those lights and i go through there every day.

On the opposite side of the road, where the LED lighting shop is today. One guy caught on the same day for the same was given a €350 fine if I remember correctly.

Another guy who I met outside told me he'd get off as his bother was a Gard. Sure enough, Garda asked for is to be stuck out immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

Another guy who I met outside told me he'd get off as his bother was a Gard. Sure enough, Garda asked for is to be stuck out immediately.

A random lad you met outside court tells you his brother is a guard and that he's gonna get off on whatever the summons was.

Sure....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not having a go at the OP but just to give my view on a few things which would appear to be against popular opinion on this thread.
    Tried to explain the light went amber when I was about 2 meters from it and would have to break hard to stop.
    It could easily be pointed out that you should be ready to stop on green, so slowing down a bit anyway as is good practice. You may have right of way but it is still a junction where anything could happen. Was it possible to stop before the amber? Its a yes or no question.
    Didn't know if there was another cyclist behind me and they possibly run into the back of me.
    That's not an excuse though, if it was, no one would ever stop or the Garda would be popping you for cycling without due care and attention.
    He wasnt having any of it, insisted I should have stopped at the amber. Admitted to me the light was amber and not red.
    And I can see his point, they get given out to for not popping people, they get given out too for popping people.
    Fine to follow.
    Which is tiny in the grand scheme of things
    I'm livid about this. I always comply to the rules of the road, even sit at a pedestrian red light even if no one is crossing.
    Well that would appear to some not to be not technically true.
    Obviously he was having a bad day and decided to take it out on the easiest target.
    You cycled through an amber right in front of him. As a matter of interest, did you not see him before the junction? The last few days, the number of people I see getting done in their cars on the N11 when they jump into the bus lane, right in plain view of a garda, I wonder does anyone pay any attention anymore.
    A pedestrian crossing light is just as valid as any other one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stopped by Guards for cycling through an amber light on my way home this evening. Tried to explain the light went amber when I was about 2 meters from it and would have to break hard to stop. Didn't know if there was another cyclist behind me and they possibly run into the back of me. He wasnt having any of it, insisted I should have stopped at the amber. Admitted to me the light was amber and not red.
    Fine to follow.

Is there a cycling equivalent of driving without due care? You should be aware of your surroundings and not being aware of what's behind is not a safe way to travel.

Advertisement