Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopped for going through an amber light.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

rubadub wrote: »

scroll a tiny bit to the left and we can see somebody illegally crossing the road on a red, amputate his legs!! take his driving licence if he has one!
    I heard drug dealers jaywalk. Straight to jail for you bucko.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

no worries there, by the sounds of it the the illegal jaywalker had fleed the scene! probably seen by the garda who likely did not bat an eyelid at that offence, just as most do not. Though some seem to think it was not a pedestrian only crossing.

No such thing as illegal jaywalking in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Del2005 wrote: »
    No such thing as illegal jaywalking in this country.

there is, I nearly always get a post like this after mentioning it, proving just how rife & tolerated it is. I expect many who break the law and are ignorant of it are the type to be screaming at others about the rules of the road.

Majority of people want fines imposed for jaywalking

that article says 50m, but it is 50feet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

gctest50 wrote: »
    There are a very few individuals out there who distribute drugs while on a bicycle

A tell-tale sign is someone in a fierce hurry for no reason.

He has a right to stop you

What? I'm *always* in a fierce hurry when I'm on my bike (or at least always attempting to reach "fierce hurry" velocity). What does this mean for me? Should I throttle back for fear of being mistaken for a wrong un? Maybe tinsel streamers for my bar ends? Where will it end?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

there is, I nearly always get a post like this after mentioning it, proving just how rife & tolerated it is. I expect many who break the law and are ignorant of it are the type to be screaming at others about the rules of the road.

Majority of people want fines imposed for jaywalking

that article says 50m, but it is 50feet

Correct, however it is not just any pedestrian crossing, specifically applies to a Zebra crossing only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

37. A pedestrian about to cross a roadway at a place where pedestrian lights have been provided shall do so only when a lamp of the pedestrian lights facing him is lit and green.

The 50foot does seem to be for zebra crossings, so I wonder what the limit is for lights. I would say the guy on google maps is definitely breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Just back from a city cycle and a Garda community policing van went through a set of pedestrians reds with people about to cross on lord Edward st and parked up outside Dublin castle. Didn’t have the blues and twos on.

For my shame, I went through a Pedestrian set of lights last week. I know most people do but its no excuse, the route I take to work doesnt have a single set of them but I went a slightly different way for a change. I never ever go through junctions lights, I always wait. ALWAYS!

I rolled up to the pedestrian lights, as I did a car came along and over took me and stopped at them, 4-5 people crossed, the orange man came on, everyone had crossed the road, there was no one around accept me and the car on either side. Its a wide road. I went through probably about 2 secs before it went green. As I did, the guy in the car beeped about 10 times. I knew it was for me, just ignored it, got about 50 meters down the road, he came up behind me, beeped at least another 10 times, rolled down the window and started to abuse me, I just said something like "Hardman in your car aren't ya.." He drove off, he was I would say about mid 20's only.

I know I went through a pedestrian red light and learnt my lesson but what is wrong with people to get so wound up over something like that.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

37. A pedestrian about to cross a roadway at a place where pedestrian lights have been provided shall do so only when a lamp of the pedestrian lights facing him is lit and green.

The 50foot does seem to be for zebra crossings, so I wonder what the limit is for lights. I would say the guy on google maps is definitely breaking the law.

The 1964 Regulations were repealed 22 years ago, similar is contained in the 1997 Regulations but there is no limit, it only applies when actually crossing at the crossing and does not say you can't cross at other than the crossing.

Only rhe Zebra crossing says such with an applicable distance.
    46. (7) On a roadway on which traffic sign number RPC 001 (zebra pedestrian crossing) has been provided, a pedestrian shall not cross the roadway within 15 metres of the crossing except by the crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

GM228 wrote: »
    The 1964 Regulations were repealed 22 years ago, similar is contained in the 1997 Regulations but there is no limit, it only applies when actually crossing at the crossing and does not say you can't cross at other than the crossing.

Only rhe Zebra crossing says such with an applicable distance.

Can you advise which Regulation applies at the crossing below?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3635874,-6.49771,3a,75y,225.46h,80.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s07tHJ4Mk_hblKAiM7ykh7g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Steoller wrote: »

Applies in what sense?

If you mean in relation to a pedestrian:
    46. (3) A pedestrian about to cross a roadway at a place where traffic sign number RPC 003 or RPC 004 [pedestrian lights] has been provided shall do so only when a lamp of the facing pedestrian lights is lit and emits a constant green light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

GM228 wrote: »
    Applies in what sense?

If you mean in relation to a pedestrian:

I meant that it appears to be both a signalised crossing, and has the road markings of a zebra crossing, which is uneccessarily confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

bullvine wrote: »
    For my shame, I went through a Pedestrian set of lights last week. I know most people do but its no excuse, the route I take to work doesnt have a single set of them but I went a slightly different way for a change. I never ever go through junctions lights, I always wait. ALWAYS!

I rolled up to the pedestrian lights, as I did a car came along and over took me and stopped at them, 4-5 people crossed, the orange man came on, everyone had crossed the road, there was no one around accept me and the car on either side. Its a wide road. I went through probably about 2 secs before it went green. As I did, the guy in the car beeped about 10 times. I knew it was for me, just ignored it, got about 50 meters down the road, he came up behind me, beeped at least another 10 times, rolled down the window and started to abuse me, I just said something like "Hardman in your car aren't ya.." He drove off, he was I would say about mid 20's only.

I know I went through a pedestrian red light and learnt my lesson but what is wrong with people to get so wound up over something like that.

First of all, you clearly shouldnt have gone through the red light.

That said, A lot of people today are miserable, frustrated and angry in their lives and unfortunately, thanks to the efforts of G Hook and others, people on bikes have been dehumanised to the point where it's quite normal and acceptable to try to intimidate and roar abuse at them.

I said on another thread that rationality and the rights or wrongs of a situation don't even matter anymore. For me it's a daily occurrence now and expected that I will get beeped at/bullied at least once every single time I am out on the bike.

Even though my road positioning is 100% legal, safe, reasonable and according to RSA advice, I will still get shouted at "you're in the middle of the road y' stupid d**khead" etc. etc, by the very people that would happily endanger my life were I not physically blocking them from doing so.

It's alarming and depressing in equal measures. Other countries are moving progressively towards healthy, sustainable transport options and we're presenting ourselves on the world stage as a nation of knuckle-draggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

In the last two years, I have found an increasing number of occasions where the Garda are very zealous over marginal situations. Previously, something like this would have been dealt with with a verbal warning and a bit of finger wagging.

It's leaving me with the impression that they're more concerned about hitting targets rather than traditional policing. They are at risk of eroding the confidence of the silent majority of middle Ireland with their heavy handed approach.

So you want to go back to the days of verbal warnings and finger wagging? That worked out really well. It's why so many cars and bikes are now breaking lights - they have no fear of real repercussions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hands up today, not sure what happened but i done the same as the OP. Coming to a junction and approached far too fast. Lights were green and I should have slowed a little but, well, I won't make excuses. Lights went amber and if I hauled on the brakes I would have stopped but by the time my mind had decided what to do it was too late so i just put the hammer down. Now if I had been pulled over, i would have taken the fine and accepted it because the truth of the matter is, no matter what my reasoning, i should have stopped and also been able to stop in time and I didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Well done to the garda.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can I just clarify, is it only cyclists that are meant to slow down sufficiently when approaching traffic lights so that if they turn orange, we've enough time to stop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Can I just clarify, is it only cyclists that are meant to slow down sufficiently when approaching traffic lights so that if they turn orange, we've enough time to stop?

Not IMO, there's a few roads near me and if the light is green on approach I would usually expect it to turn red by the time I get there so tend to go light on the accelerator or take my foot off completely if driving at the limit.

I've just learned how long they stay green for and feel no need to drive at speed to then have to stop.

Now, I'm sure there'll be someone behind me thinking "I could've made that, sure it was only amber" but I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Looks like it, on the commute home the other night and passing the playing fields in Castleknock 3 young kids of about 10 pressed the button and traffic lights turned amber. I was about 30m out so rolled to a stop but 2 cars from about 50m out in the opposite direction had other intentions. First car drove on with altering speed and crossed the line just as the lights had turned red but second car was very late and pedestrians who had waited patiently for the pedestrian light to turn green were now starting to make their first steps across as it drove through. I pointed to the lights to which the driver was oblivious but really wish the kids had a ball they could have thrown at the car to frighten it since no such fine for such a blatant and deliberate breach of the rules.
    To add the pedestrian lights opposite the playing fields in Castleknock are functioning correctly and only turn red when deliberately activated unlike a lot of shambolic pedestrian lights in the city centre that turn on a timed sequence so you’re often faced with a red light when no pedestrians are anywhere in sight.

Pretty much, until you get close to the point that if you did hit the brakes you would still be on the junction or in a bad position. For most people on a bike, this involves doing absolutely nothing different, for faster cyclists this might entail freewheeling or just not pushing as hard, when close to the lights. For cars this means you should be taking your foot off the accelerator and letting the resistance against the gears slow you. It is not an exact science or anything, its just something that you should be wary of, and as soon as you reach the point in the car where stopping safely would leave you on the junction, you continue on as normal unless unsafe to do so. For city driving, considering the speeds in traffic, all this really means is be prepared to stop when approaching a junction rather than reacting to stop which takes a bit longer.
    All road users should approach a junction with the possibility that the lights will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I pointed to the lights to which the driver was oblivious but really wish the kids had a ball they could have thrown at the car to frighten it since no such fine for such a blatant and deliberate breach of the rules.

I remember years ago talking to a Garda who told me he would carry a snooker ball in his pocket to use for stopping joyriders. He figured it was safer than a drawn out pursuit at speed in (sub)urban areas...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

cdaly_ wrote:
    I remember years ago talking to a Garda who told me he would carry a snooker ball in his pocket to use for stopping joyriders. He figured it was safer than a drawn out pursuit at speed in (sub)urban areas...

Criminal damage. Cool

Joyce_and_Dredd.jpg

Advertisement