Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I mad?

• 12-02-2019 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

I'm considering picking up a 09/10 Audi A6 from the UK and importing. Reckon I'll get it in for about 8-9k all in, question is per title, am I mad? I want something nice, that doesn't give too much hassle. I won't be doing mad mileage at all.

I think I'm just at a stage in my life where I feel I deserve (basically want) a decent car. At the moment running a 04 Civic but its starting to really show the age.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But you're buying a 10 year old car too.

Surely it's going to be showing its age too.

But if that's your budget, I wouldn't say you're mad, you will probably get a more comfortable, better spec'd, nicer to drive car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Diesel or petrol.

If diesel it wants to be doing big miles to benefit and also costly service bills etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Lovely cars , had one for 4 years and got rid last year.
    Didn’t miss a beat was remapped to 200bhp and was very comfortable.
    Savage sound system and everything you want inside it.
    If you can get an S-Line Special edition do,
    I think the Sline in the facelift came in 2010 late 2009.
    There are different levels of the system inside them.
    Top spec is dvd drive in the glove compartment with 2 SD card slots.
    Also has a hard drive built in so you can store music on the car.
    Bose sound system is the business.
    Lovely cars and pretty much bullet proof I think?

As for the maintenance costs.
    Oil and filters in the time I owned it.
    And the timing belt is good for 200+k or 5 years,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Diesel or petrol.

If diesel it wants to be doing big miles to benefit and also costly service bills etc.

Realistically nobody’s going to import a petrol A6.

Unless the OP is dong ultra low mileage, the diesel is the default choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

I'd be looking diesel as I think all the petrols are 2.7 and up, not interested paying a fortune in tax on it. A lot of the UK ones are lower mileage than the Irish ones too, most of the ones I'm looking at are all full service history and belt changed too etc. Which is promising.... If you believe it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Shamboo1801

Try usedcarsni.com. Least if you buy up north it's only a couple of hours drive, and you can get a good look at what your buying instead of paying out for flights and ferries. Bought a '14 mondeo, much higher spec than here, for just over €9k cleared and couldn't be happier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't bother importing one in that price range, you can buy one for that sort of money here:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2176188&r=s.php%3Fm%3D7%26o%3D45%26r%3D2010%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

d43864c90df075c94489ddbe4ca5ffe91e65f5a6750a9f8b478fe1785e46052a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Bought a car off them a few years ago great to deal with

Get the 170bhp if you want a bit of poke( I use that term lightly)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

That's a nice one but you'd get it slightly cheaper importing but the big difference would be the mileage, ones I'm looking at are about 85k miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nanoc wrote: »
    That's a nice one but you'd get it slightly cheaper importing but the big difference would be the mileage, ones I'm looking at are about 85k miles

Your looking at 9 or 10 year old diesel cars, most will have way more mileage than that for the year as they are driven. I'd be scrutinizing the service history on anything with low mileage to make sure it's genuine and even at that I think I'd prefer a diesel car that was driven as opposed to one that hardly was.

The car above is not an S-Line and not a special edition either.
    So the seller is lying.
    S-line has Round fog lights and would have chrome tailpipe covers and grill on the rear.
    Also wouldn’t have that 4 spoke steering wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

SE Special Edition :D

Advertisement