Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short term problem-sort of

Options
  • 12-02-2019 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Started a new job a while ago and it's going ok.

I know it takes time to settle in but I feel a little bit left out. The girls on my floor will go for tea/lunch without me, ask each other if they want anything in the shop and generally exclude me from chit-chat. I know they all message on whatapp constantly too.

The person I'm replacing is leaving next week and I'm worried they haven't done enough to train me. My workload has been pretty light so far but this person always stays late- probably an hour extra every day when I sit there most of the day not doing much. (I ask multiple times for more work). I don't know what on earth she is working on- although I will be taking over from her. I was talking to a friend who works in a similar area and she reckons there are people that do that in every job- be seen to be working late even if there is nothing to do- is this true? Mind the company doesn't pay overtime.

This person's demeanour has been very haughty and condescending from day one. She also really made fun of someone else she was training last week, to the point where I felt guilty/cringe having just overheard it. (I mean giggling openly at another colleague while she was trying to learn a new system). So it isn't just me she is rude to.

I feel like they really dislike me though- they disagree with everything I say and our interactions are painfully awkward for some reason. I have been sending her things to look at as I have been training and feel like she really picks at small things and it isn't in a constructively critical manner- I feel like she tries to embarrass me by correcting me in front of everyone. I know I only have to put up with her til next week- but how do I try to learn as much as possible before they leave when I almost have to beg for work? I have been going to superiors to ask for work and ask questions mostly.

I think I've done a poor job disguising the fact that we are mostly youngish females in the office- is this part of the problem ha? Maybe she is not used to training people and maybe I am a bit sensitive. Part of me knows I won't even remember her name in 5 years but dreading the next few weeks, possibly being hit with work I can't deal with.

Advertisement