Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home office question

Options
  • 12-02-2019 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

hope someone can help.my router is at the front of my house and i have a cat six cable ran to my office at the back of the house.i am now giving this up to my kids and am moving to an office at the end of my garden(everyone wins)i want to run a cat 6 cable down to my new office,can i run a cable from my old office and 'split' it.i did a little research and found a gigi bit switch which i think i run my main cat 6 into then run a cable to that computer and then a cat 6 to my new office.if thats all ok what do i plug the cable into in my new office? another router?...cheers.john.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

johnboy8 wrote: »
    hope someone can help.my router is at the front of my house and i had a cat six cable ran to my office at the back of the house.i am now giving this up to my kids and am moving to an office at the end of my garden(everyone wins)i want to run a cat 6 cable down to my new office,can i run a cable from my old office and 'split' it.i did a little research and found a gigi bit switch which i think i run my main cat 6 into then run a cable to that computer and then a cat 6 to my new office.if thats all ok what do i plug the cable into in my new office? another router?...cheers.john.

Hi John.

If the new office has power to it just run an ethernet power adapter. Plug one into house and the other in office and job done.

Alternatively remove your cat 6 and run a longer run direct to the office.

Alternatively get a decent router and put it in the old office and you'll have wireless out in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭johnboy8

hi,sorry for late reply.....the new office has a separate supply(there before i came)so cant do that.second, i dont want to have to run a new cat 6 cable as its in a difficult place in the house.third,i would rather have a wired system for a better connection.

would my suggestion work and what would i put in the new office,an extra router?...cheers.

just doing a little more research,would an access point work.very confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

You might be able to use a gigabit switch but as the two locations are on separate consumer units (fuseboards) you would need to consult an electrician as there are safety issues in making such connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,109 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Can you not go direct from an ethernet port on back of router? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

hi,sorry for late reply.....the new office has a separate supply(there before i came)so cant do that.second, i dont want to have to run a new cat 6 cable as its in a difficult place in the house.third,i would rather have a wired system for a better connection.

would my suggestion work and what would i put in the new office,an extra router?...cheers.

If this electricity supply is totally separate and not on the same meter then you need an isolated connection for the broadband from the house to the office.
    That can be
    wireless
    fibre cable
    opto couplersfor the ethernet cable
    or anything else that can ensure electrical isolation of the two premises

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

wireless
    fibre cable
    opto couplersfor the ethernet cable
    or anything else that can ensure electrical isolation of the two premises
    You could put a POE (power over Ethernet) wireless access point out there powered from inside the house over the network cable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

just doing a little more research,would an access point work.very confused.

Get two unifi access points and setup in "station - access point" mode with a good security and MAC lock.
    You will need also some networking skills and switches for both networks, not necessarily for PoE.

That should deal with minimum cabling while keeping network speeds at your advantage.

thanks everyone,some good ideas there.

Advertisement