Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei Mate 20 Pro Signal Problems

Options
  • 12-02-2019 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Got a new Mate 20 Pro in December. I'm on the Three network. Man talk about problems. This phone:

Will only send texts when it feels like it.
    It won't make calls even when it has 3/4 signal bars.
    Sometimes I get voice messages without receiving a missed call notification or a voice mail notification.
    Sometimes I speak to people who have tried calling me a number of times, but I have no missed calls.
    Sometimes switching it off and on solves the problem.

Strange thing, the sales assistant in my local Three store warned me that this phone had connection issues. But I completely forgot her advice when I got one in my hand.

Anyone having similar issues?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭joeaverage

I'll try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Did you buy the phone from Three? Are you in contract? Have you tried a new SIM, resitting the SIM etc? Three Ireland are notorious for signal issues.

I left Three myself because of signal issues with multiple phones. Switched networks and my problems disappeared. No more signal issues. Can you try a different network SIM on the phone for a couple of days to test if it's the phone or the network?

Did you buy the phone from Three? Are you in contract? Have you tried a new SIM, resitting the SIM etc? Three Ireland are notorious for signal issues.

I left Three myself because of signal issues with multiple phones. Switched networks and my problems disappeared. No more signal issues. Can you try a different network SIM on the phone for a couple of days to test if it's the phone or the network?

Yep, I bought it from Three. It came with a new SIM. Just started a new 2yr contract. I'm guessing the handset is SIM locked. I reckon it's the phone, especially after what the sales assistant said about it having problems.

I've had my 4G data switched off for the last week or so. Hey presto, I can't remember a single instance where I had a missed call or couldn't send a text etc. No problem with calls and texts in either direction.

Whats going on here? Obviously I'm happy that my phone works OK, but I could do with the 4G data from time to time.

• Advertisement

4G is data only so the phone and network have a system of alerting so the phone can drop back to 3G when an SMS or call is pending. Normally this happens in about one second and boom away you go. If it doesnt work or you're in an area with 4G only coverage calls are impossible.

A baseband update might resolve it but god knows when you might see that. If it were me I'd be tempted to insist they take it back and get something Qualcomm based.

That sounds like exactly whats happening. You would think that kind thing would "item no. 1" in lets try make a phone class.

What's a baseband update?

Your phone is actually two computers not one, a main chip that does everything with the user and a second that just runs the radios. Thats the baseband.

Some "system updates" may contain a firmware update that improves radio behavior. Most don't.

Thanks for all the help lads, saved me hours of pulling my hair out talking to Three Mobile!!!

Advertisement