Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flu vaccination - early pregnancy?

Options
  • 12-02-2019 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So my GP recommended I have the flu vaccination.
    I'm wary as I'm almost sure that I was told to wait until the second trimester with my last pregnancy. Has anyone had the flu vaccination in very early pregnancy?
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

You may be thinking of the whooping cough (pertussis booster). Usually that's given from 16 weeks onwards. The flu vaccination is advised at any time in pregnancy. At the moment there's loads of it circulating in the community & the risk of serious complications is much greater when you're pregnant so generally we'll give it as soon as possible. If your pregnancy spans two flu seasons you may get two shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Jocasta

Flu vaccine is safe at any point in pregnancy. As tiredcity said you may be thinking of the whooping cough vaccine. I got the flu vaccine when I was 6 weeks pregnant in October, and I'm now nearly 26weeks with no complications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

I also got the flu vaccine around 9 weeks. Nurse confirmed you can get at anytime during pregnancy. My friend ended up in hospital last year with flu while she was pregnant.

Whooping cough vaccine is advised somewhere between 18 and 33 weeks. Got mine last week at 24 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I got mine around 7 or 8 weeks. I have had the flu twice in my life and there is no way I would want to deal with it in pregnancy with a toddler!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Thank you all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement