Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving from IOT to University

Options
  • 13-02-2019 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Ive been a lecturer (PWT contract) in an IOT for 15 years and an opportunity has arisen for a post as an Assistant Professor (Permanent Contract) in a University that would reduce my daily commute by approx two hours. Im currently on pt 5 of the Lecturer scale and am wondering if I get the post in the University can anyone advise on the following:

Am I entitled to secure parity in my salary if making the switch from an IOT to a University

Will I be appointed at above the bar or below the bar for the university post, considering the previous experience I have in the IOT (I am currently a PhD student expecting to submit by the end of 2019)

Will my pension be secured and continue if I make the switch

What are my expected contact hours in a University (Im currently on 16 hours p/week and have from 20th June until Sep 1st summer holidays).

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,496 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hi all,
    Ive been a lecturer (PWT contract) in an IOT for 15 years and an opportunity has arisen for a post as an Assistant Professor (Permanent Contract) in a University that would reduce my daily commute by approx two hours. Im currently on pt 5 of the Lecturer scale and am wondering if I get the post in the University can anyone advise on the following:

Am I entitled to secure parity in my salary if making the switch from an IOT to a University

Will I be appointed at above the bar or below the bar for the university post, considering the previous experience I have in the IOT (I am currently a PhD student expecting to submit by the end of 2019)

Will my pension be secured and continue if I make the switch

What are my expected contact hours in a University (Im currently on 16 hours p/week and have from 20th June until Sep 1st summer holidays).

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming advice.

Pension = time served in IoT added to time served in uni

Typically, no set AL in uni.

Not a hope you can be on AL between 20-June and 1-Sep, simply never done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭caviardreams

If you don't have a PhD yet, or only just have one I imagine it would definitely be below the bar.

Depending on the University (and to a lesser extent the discipline), publications and research performance matter a lot more than teaching experience tbh

If you don't have a PhD yet, or only just have one I imagine it would definitely be below the bar.

Depending on the University (and to a lesser extent the discipline), publications and research performance matter a lot more than teaching experience tbh

This.

You can forget about two months ‘off’ in the summer - that’s research time.

And perhaps avoid any salary/pension/annual leave questions in interviews. Uni’s are looking for research output and/or potential, so accentuate that whatever way you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also dont mention about only 16 hours per week, the expectation in the IoT and Uni would be that there would be a range of non-teaching duties that you would have taken part in. The TUI website helpfully gives a list of duties associated with the lecturing post.

https://www.tui.ie/_fileupload/Image/PWT%20LECTURER%20IOT%20CONTRACT.doc and listed below. Although unintentional you may come accross as I only work / teach 16 hours per week and that is your commitment to the IoT,

a. Teaching such assigned classes as deemed appropriate by the management of the Institute, day or evening, up to 560 hours per annum including supervision of post-graduate students where appropriate. There will be a norm of 16 class contact hours per week, which may be varied by Institute management from 14 to 18 following consultation with the Lecturer. A weighting of 1.5 will apply to hours worked after 6 p.m.

(These arrangements are subject to collective agreements arrived at from time to time and authorised by the Minister for Education and Science).

b. Carrying out assessment, monitoring and evaluation of examinations work, and providing an academic and consultative support to students in their learning activities;

c. Providing academic input on existing and new courses and course development; and course co-ordination

d. Engaging in research, consultancy and development work as appropriate;

e. Participating in committees appropriate to courses and meetings convened by management;

f. Maintaining appropriate records and making available information as required by management;

g. Engaging in promotion including student recruitment as appropriate;

h. Promoting scholarship

i. Participating in the development, implementation and maintenance of academic quality assurance arrangements;

j. Participating in appropriate activities necessary to the development of their department/school and of the Institute;

k. Directing and supervising the work of Tutor/Demonstrator and taking academic responsibility for the academic standards of this work. When a Lecturer is supervising a Tutor/Demonstrator a reduction in teaching hours will be applied on the basis of a one hour reduction per three hours demonstration/tutorials supervised.

dingding wrote: »
    Also dont mention about only 16 hours per week, the expectation in the IoT and Uni would be that there would be a range of non-teaching duties that you would have taken part in. The TUI website helpfully gives a list of duties associated with the lecturing post.

https://www.tui.ie/_fileupload/Image/PWT%20LECTURER%20IOT%20CONTRACT.doc and listed below. Although unintentional you may come accross as I only work / teach 16 hours per week and that is your commitment to the IoT,

a. Teaching such assigned classes as deemed appropriate by the management of the Institute, day or evening, up to 560 hours per annum including supervision of post-graduate students where appropriate. There will be a norm of 16 class contact hours per week, which may be varied by Institute management from 14 to 18 following consultation with the Lecturer. A weighting of 1.5 will apply to hours worked after 6 p.m.

(These arrangements are subject to collective agreements arrived at from time to time and authorised by the Minister for Education and Science).

b. Carrying out assessment, monitoring and evaluation of examinations work, and providing an academic and consultative support to students in their learning activities;

c. Providing academic input on existing and new courses and course development; and course co-ordination

d. Engaging in research, consultancy and development work as appropriate;

e. Participating in committees appropriate to courses and meetings convened by management;

f. Maintaining appropriate records and making available information as required by management;

g. Engaging in promotion including student recruitment as appropriate;

h. Promoting scholarship

i. Participating in the development, implementation and maintenance of academic quality assurance arrangements;

j. Participating in appropriate activities necessary to the development of their department/school and of the Institute;

k. Directing and supervising the work of Tutor/Demonstrator and taking academic responsibility for the academic standards of this work. When a Lecturer is supervising a Tutor/Demonstrator a reduction in teaching hours will be applied on the basis of a one hour reduction per three hours demonstration/tutorials supervised.

I think they are in an IoT already, and looking to move to a Uni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I think they are in an IoT already, and looking to move to a Uni

The point was that in preparation for the interview they give a broader picture of the role, rather than say they worked 16 hours per week which could put the interview panel off.

Just on the odd chance that the OP only teaches and is in attendance 16 hours per week.

The Uni while probably has fewer contact hours would have an expectation that research and academic administration would be carried out.

Advertisement