Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I move from Eir?

• 13-02-2019 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

How ya gettin on.
    Been on an Eir broadband only contract for 18 months, paying 53 a month now.
    Contract ended in November, still paying 53.
    Friends are on Sky broadband only and paying 30 a month, makes sense for me to leave Eir and go to this deal.
    Anybody have any experiences with them? Is there any difference? Sky rents the lines off Eir so I doubt Eir can throttle them right? Is there any differences? Sky Broadband is unlimited download amount too or am I wrong?

Sound for any opinions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Good luck trying to cancel your Eir BB, reports of hours of waiting and no answer on their chat feature on the website.

Sky will use Eir lines but speeds can depend on only on the line but the backhaul and contention ratio of the ISP. I don't know Sky's actual set up but whatever you're getting from Eir you'll likely have no issue getting similar from Sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Just ring Sky, sign up and hand them your UAN number. Since your out of contract, Sky will take over the supply from whatever date and yer good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Just ring Sky, sign up and hand them your UAN number. Since your out of contract, Sky will take over the supply from whatever date and yer good to go

Make sure to block and cancel direct debits too.

I'm in a similar situation. Eir contract just up.

Does anybody know if eir will give out of contract people new customer offers if you threaten to cancel?

I'd stick out their **** customer service if they give me the new customer offer on Bonkers. Otherwise I'm going to Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I'm in the same boat, but on a much better contract. 12 months on €35. Not worth going to Sky for that fiver, happy enough with Eir tbh. But the service reports scare me a bit. My contract is up in April and I would fall back on a much much worse rate, there is no way I would be staying on that. From what I hear its impossible to talk to them let alone negotiate another 12 months on my rate.

Not going to Sky either, I dont want to use their hardware, they make you use their router or SkyQ or whatever and I have a neat working setup that I want to continue to use. Kinda dreading April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Eir will give a deal when the contract is up. My parents contract expired and price went up. I rang Eir, spent time on hold (maybe 30 mins) and then got a new deal at much the same price as previously. Really only stayed due to Eir Sports which the auld lads looks at. Works out cheaper than Sky if you want those channels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Definately leave. Westnet are good. Despise eir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Eir will give a deal when the contract is up. My parents contract expired and price went up. I rang Eir, spent time on hold (maybe 30 mins) and then got a new deal at much the same price as previously. Really only stayed due to Eir Sports which the auld lads looks at. Works out cheaper than Sky if you want those channels

Yes the sports channels are a big plus over the others in my opinion. Watch quite a bit of that. And the fact they let you use your own hardware which Sky do not.

For those reasons I put up with the bad service level which so far hasn't really affected me.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

The problem with ringing Sky and changing is we don'y have a landline number. Lady for sky said we have to have one, and to ring Eir. Rang Eir they said we don't have one we have a broadband reference number only. Rang back Sky and they said because of that Eir own the line or something so I actually need to cancel Eir, then change to Sky.

So to make sure I don't go for days without internet I will ring and order Sky and get them to come install it and ring and cancel Eir on the day.
    I don't use TV or anything so broadband only package is good for me for 30, and down in the Eir shop they said they wouldn't match 30, minimum they would do is 40 for a 18 month contract

Advertisement