Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter on N32

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

highdef wrote: »
    I wonder how long it would take for action to be taken against me if I decided to discard of my household rubbish, furniture, DIY leftovers, etc in the nearest greenspace on a frequent basis.....not very long at all, I'm sure.

There's not many travelers living in or close to the inner city. Dumping of all of the above is rampant. Action against the perpetrators, or preventative measures are non existent.

Turning this into and us + them debate does neither any use. Not least for the fact that them couldn't give two feics about having the finger pointed at them. So it's hardly an incentive to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

hankless wrote: »
    It's easy to blame the travellers, but to allow the area get like that is not entirely their fault. Facilities, awareness and education is needed. Not finger pointing.

What kind of facilities? Just provide a licensed dump nearby for them, and let them use it free of charge while the tax payer foots the bill?

Awareness is already there, people dumping are well aware what they are doing is wrong, they don't care.

Education, it's not part of their culture so very hard to get them to change the way they do things. It's easer to subjugate people in your own community when you deny them their education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

hankless wrote: »
    There's not many travelers living in or close to the inner city. Dumping of all of the above is rampant. Action against the perpetrators, or preventative measures are non existent.

Turning this into and us + them debate does neither any use. Not least for the fact that them couldn't give two feics about having the finger pointed at them. So it's hardly an incentive to change.

This thread is specifically about litter problems on the R139 (Ex-N32), not other parts of the country. If we could keep to the discussion on this area and not wander off talking about other places, that would be great, otherwise the thread will go off course discussing the general issue of illegal dumping countrywide.

Every time I drive that stretch of road I look out for how bad it is.

I remember a few years ago seeing a mobile home that had been lifted up and dumped over the wall. No doubt whatsoever about where it came from. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its just shocking that the council spent €230,000 cleaning this up and then they go and wreck the place all over again. The community there has obviously passed a tipping point where those who care are now outnumbered by those who don't.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The community there has obviously passed a tipping point where those who care are now outnumbered by those who don't.

It's not about being outnumbered. It's the kind of people who dump versus the kind of people who don't want it like a dump. Scum will generally come out on top as it's so hard to stop them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They have the same dumping problem down in Ballyvolane in Cork. A report on the news said illegal dumping was taking place next to a traveller halting site for over 20 years. After a long campaign the council spent €500,000 clearing away over 230 tonnes of rubbish including 5 tonnes of asbestos. The site was left spotlessly clean. The very next morning a caravan was found dumped on the site. Locals saying they are not confident that the clean up effort will be respected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Edenmoar

I don't live too far away and because of this I'm the airport run bloke for friends and family, so I have the pleasure of seeing this open dump regularly. It really makes me despair for humanity. The Malahide Road stretch from Tonlegee road to the R137 is absolutely filthy too, sides of roads always strewn with rubbish.
    It's only going to get worse, lets face it. I just try not to let it get to me any more, do what you can by creating as little waste as you can and disposing of it correctly like any good citizen would. Humans are filthy creatures but I wouldn't go near that place to clean it up. I am going to a beach cleanup in Bull Island next week, partly to alleviate my conscience but it's a great amenity for the Northside and we should be at least keeping our nature spots clean (it's totally covered with plastic rubbish!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Just to reopen this. A company (I'm assuming operating ln behalf of the council) were out doing a massive clean up yesterday on the N32. Long overdue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,061 ✭✭✭✭neris

Only noticed the other day the amount of rubbish & plastic in the bushes alongside the old belcamp college. It's not dumped rubbish just small crap that's probably been blown in by the wind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

Plans to remove the waste and protect the park from further illegal dumping were initially set to cost an estimated €10m

Advertisement