Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammed via PayPal

Options
  • 13-02-2019 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

So recently I stupidly agreed to send money for an item via PayPal through the Friends/Family Section! Since then I haven't received any word from the seller and the Ad has been subsequently deleted!

Is there anything that my bank can do in order to get my stolen money back?

Thanks,

Oisin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Flickering wrote: »
    So recently I stupidly agreed to send money for an item via PayPal through the Friends/Family Section! Since then I haven't received any word from the seller and the Ad has been subsequently deleted!

Thanks,

Oisin

Oisin is it possible it could arrive in the next day or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Yes they can investigate with PayPal about your product. Get In touch with them via phone or 365 ask a question.

You already know this, but it's highly stupid to pay with friends and family option. Screams scammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Flickering

KevinCavan wrote: »

Thanks,

Oisin

Oisin is it possible it could arrive in the next day or two?
    Hi Kevin,

I don't think so! The seller won't reply to any of my texts and the phone number given I can't seem to get a dial tone when I call it! It's a strange situation as the seller claimed to be from an area where I'm from but I'm currently not living therether even had collection as an option on the Ad!

RossieMan wrote: »
    Yes they can investigate with PayPal about your product. Get In touch with them via phone or 365 ask a question.

You already know this, but it's highly stupid to pay with friends and family option. Screams scammer.
    I'll do that, I know I can't believe I done it but recent stress has my head in another universe I can't believe I'm in this situation! Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

You already know this, but it's highly stupid to pay with friends and family option. 
    For someone who doesnt know, can you explain why this is a highly stupid option? As opposed to a regular Paypal payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Muppet Man wrote: »
    For someone who doesnt know, can you explain why this is a highly stupid option? As opposed to a regular Paypal payment.

It basically means that you have zero comeback if you have an issue.
    PayPal will not entertain any problems with the purchase. Put it down to a lesson learned and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks,

Oisin
    If BOI chargeback Paypal you're transferring the loss to Paypal.

There's a good chance you'll be barred from using Paypal in future if you do this. 

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Captcha

Hey if you send me the same amount via friends and family it will be refunded to your account.

You already know this, but it's highly stupid to pay with friends and family option. 
    Basically for Friends/Family option it's for people you know and trust in sending money to! I wish my brain had processed that sooner!

ED E wrote: »

Thanks,

Oisin

There's a good chance you'll be barred from using Paypal in future if you do this. 
    I rarely use PayPal so that wouldn't bother me.

• Advertisement

Flickering wrote:

Its not PayPal's fault that you were an idiot, being fair. It's also not a garuntee that'll you'll get the money back. Never use family and friends option. Something about the product you're buying is dodgy or the seller is a scammer. There's a reason they want you to have no protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Muppet Man wrote:

PayPal don't charge any fees to transfer money to family and friends, therefore they offer no protection. You cannot even open a PayPal dispute.

Sending money through the goods & service PayPal charge a hefty fee. Around 3% I think. You have fantastic protection when paying this way.

If they aren't family & friends NEVER EVER send money this way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

ED E wrote:

Flickering wrote:

BOI can't do a chargeback, the OP basically gave up all comebacks by sending it friends and family..

tedpan wrote:
    BOI can't do a chargeback, the OP basically gave up all comebacks by sending it friends and family..

This is just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Sleeper12 wrote:
    PayPal don't charge any fees to transfer money to family and friends, therefore they offer no protection. You cannot even open a PayPal dispute.

Pay pal stay charge a fee but its the buyer that pays for it not the seller. Just do a charge back with bank of ireland. All you need to do is fill in the forms and show them all the evidence. Out of curiosity how much did you send and whar for

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

keavebm wrote: »
    Originally posted by Sleeper12

Pay pal stay charge a fee but its the buyer that pays for it not the seller. Just do a charge back with bank of ireland. All you need to do is fill in the forms and show them all the evidence. Out of curiosity how much did you send and whar for

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/paypal-scraps-fees-on-euro-transfers-between-friends-and-family-in-ireland-1.3529212

No fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jennifer

Thanks,

Oisin

Hi Flickering,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. In this instance we would recommend that you complete a Visa Debit Transaction dispute form which you can find here. We would ask that you return this form along with any correspondence you have between yourself and the seller and yourself and PayPal to our Chargebacks department. Please be advised that our Chargeback department have 45 days to complete their investigation and will respond to you once this has been completed.
    Thanks Jen

Hi Flickering,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. In this instance we would recommend that you complete a Visa Debit Transaction dispute form which you can find here. We would ask that you return this form along with any correspondence you have between yourself and the seller and yourself and PayPal to our Chargebacks department. Please be advised that our Chargeback department have 45 days to complete their investigation and will respond to you once this has been completed.
    Thanks Jen

Thank you Jennifer!

Advertisement