Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grand National 2019 Aintree

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

agree, barely gets 3 miles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I am going to say it, and I might not generate a positive response from saying it but ….

13 entries from one stable into the Grand National is a problem for everyone in the sport, particularly if 9 of those entries are from the same owner... it is gluttony and cannot be good for horse racing. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I am going to say it, and I might not generate a positive response from saying it but ….

13 entries from one stable into the Grand National is a problem for everyone in the sport, particularly if 9 of those entries are from the same owner... it is gluttony and cannot be good for horse racing. That is all.

I think it’s great, a chance to make history with a 1-2-3-4-5......

EICVD wrote: »

If you had just 5 entries that would be a phenomenal achievement.

But a Gigginstown 1-2-3-4-5 looks more like a right wing parade than it does a horse race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

If they put all those horses in training , get them to a mark that can get in . They have to be allowed rum .

In fairness they spend a fortune mainly here . If

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

aidankkk wrote: »
    If they put all those horses in training , get them to a mark that can get in . They have to be allowed rum .

In fairness they spend a fortune mainly here . If

Will surely put off the once a year punter as well for the race, will make it much harder for follow the horse during the race looking for slight differences in hats etc.

carq wrote: »
    Will surely put off the once a year punter as well for the race, will make it much harder for follow the horse during the race looking for slight differences in hats etc.

Ya cant be worrying about a once a year punter, compared to a guy who punt in millions and has hundreds of horses in training.

Once a year guy will still backing the national.

Should they not be able to do what is done in the us and have a number list at the bottom of the screen

ACtually you could go mad with coverage, with a Go-Pro on each riders hat and be given a choice which one to watch on red button or something. (you heard it here first , the over-under for when this becomes available to online viewers + or - 3 years)

Gluttony that is keeping trainers in business and god knows how many people in jobs,and racecources in business etc..

If some fool wants to spend millions a year , realistically without any real change of actually making money. Let him off. The tears will be a lot worse if they suddenly decide to only have a few horses.

Its a money firing game, if someone else wants to compete they just have to be prepared to burn cash (and loads of it)

One thing that could help is there probably should be some win and your in races, regardless of mark.

Going to do a Grand National Preview Podcast for tomorrow.

Im just going to quickly go through the whole field, with a view to counting and and out horses.

And of course then just telling everyone Valseur Lido wins rolleyes.png.

Anyone with any questions for a particual horse? or anything about national etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I think someone trained the first 5 home in a gold cup in the 70s or 80s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭keng66

Michael Dickinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

Did Pipe run 9 or 10 in it a good few years back?

I dont really see the problem. If you have the horses run them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Has a maiden ever won the national?
    Given the weight and the jockey booking, I think Mall Dini has a HUGE chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Has a maiden ever won the national?
    Given the weight and the jockey booking, I think Mall Dini has a HUGE chance

Rule the World quite recently.

To clarify on this , my main gripe is Gigginstown clogging up the race, with some horses who don't have a chance, on paper at least. I have no issue with Chris Jones and the other syndicates taking their chance either. You can probably throw Gordon Elliott into the mix there also, he is only doing what he is told.

If the likes of Don Poli, Valseur Lido, Outlander, A Toi Phil turn out to be long term plots … well ….lets just say good luck to them. But I doubt any average owner can afford to pull a horse for 3 years to suck him into a handicap off a competitive mark. It is genuinely unfair, to punters especially.

Yes, it is great to have big owners to pump money into racing. However I would like to hear how Conor O'Dwyer, Mouse , Colin Murphy , Philip Fenton , Willie Mullins , The Shark , Charles Byrnes, The Connacht mafia, et all ,( this list is not exhaustive) feel about how Gigginstown have been with them.

At least JP spreads his horses around and gives options to a lot of trainers. He has only entered 2 horses, including top weight, he could probably fill the field if he wanted.

To clarify on this , my main gripe is Gigginstown clogging up the race, with some horses who don't have a chance, on paper at least. I have no issue with Chris Jones and the other syndicates taking their chance either. You can probably throw Gordon Elliott into the mix there also, he is only doing what he is told.

If the likes of Don Poli, Valseur Lido, Outlander, A Toi Phil turn out to be long term plots … well ….lets just say good luck to them. But I doubt any average owner can afford to pull a horse for 3 years to suck him into a handicap off a competitive mark. It is genuinely unfair, to punters especially.

Yes, it is great to have big owners to pump money into racing. However I would like to hear how Conor O'Dwyer, Mouse , Colin Murphy , Philip Fenton , Willie Mullins , The Shark , Charles Byrnes, The Connacht mafia, et all ,( this list is not exhaustive) feel about how Gigginstown have been with them.

At least JP spreads his horses around and gives options to a lot of trainers. He has only entered 2 horses, including top weight, he could probably fill the field if he wanted.

If a horse is good enough it will get in ahead of these horses. Perhaps your issue is with the handicapper rating these horses to highly and others not highly enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

Gigginstown have the 4/1 fav going for his second National win. They are obviously gonna put in as many no hopers as they can to limit the number of dangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

It also makes it easier to punt on aswell let's be honest. Easy to eliminate the no hopers. I'm also far more familiar with Irish trained horses than British ones.

No, my issue is not with the handicapper. It is with Gigginstown flooding the race with regressive horses who have not performed on the track in years. This will be a problem for the race in Fairyhouse also.

If they were being genuine with their runners they would be racing them to the top of their ability in the graded races throughout the year. Not just dumping them in there to get a favourable mark.

It will get to the point where our graded races become pedestrian and boring, especially for punters.

If they have no chance and are truly regressive why are they in the race? Cynically you could argue that they are in there to disable other horses having a pop at Tiger Roll. They would love to get two in row.

No, my issue is not with the handicapper. It is with Gigginstown flooding the race with regressive horses who have not performed on the track in years. This will be a problem for the race in Fairyhouse also.

If they were being genuine with their runners they would be racing them to the top of their ability in the graded races throughout the year. Not just dumping them in there to get a favourable mark.

It will get to the point where our graded races become pedestrian and boring, especially for punters.

If they have no chance and are truly regressive why are they in the race? Cynically you could argue that they are in there to disable other horses having a pop at Tiger Roll. They would love to get two in row.

I dont really understand this point. Gigginstown couldnt possibly campaign their horses more openly. They chuck them into deep waters at any opportunity.

Also 2 of the horses will be sold presumably before the Saturday so they will likely only have 7 or so runners.

• Advertisement

PhuckHugh2 wrote: »
    I dont really understand this point. Gigginstown couldnt possibly campaign their horses more openly. They chuck them into deep waters at any opportunity.

Also 2 of the horses will be sold presumably before the Saturday so they will likely only have 7 or so runners.

I agree. But dumping a half fit graded winner into a big race to jog in 4th or 5th to get some place money to pay the Vet is not good enough. It stinks in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

I agree. But dumping a half fit graded winner into a big race to jog in 4th or 5th to get some place money to pay the Vet is not good enough. It stinks in fact.

Not sure if you are referring to the national here or more generally - but 4th or 5th is certainly no mean feat in a national.
    Above you highlighted a few horses that you reckon are no-hopers. Ive 2 or them backed (Valseur and Phil) and would be tempted to back Don each way with 6 places. So its definitely a matter of opinion. Valseur ran well last year, has 12 lbs less now, ground prob a bit more suitable, Blackmore on top. Phil - eyecatching staying on performance at Cheltenham from a horse with some classy form in the back catalogue. Both available at big prices.

The reality is that less than 20 horses get around the national course even with the easier conditions now. Only 12 completed last year.

Im no oleary fan but he pays his money. I take your point about clogging the race but its all within the rules, up to others to have sufficiently highly rated horses to kick his out.
    If lads are pulling horses to keep the mark down they cant come whining when they dont get in. If they are not pulling horses - then the horses arent good enough and dont deserve their place.

Anyway - even if there was an owner or trainer restriction, sure all he would do is transfer a few of the horses to his mrs or kids.

edit - credit to aidenkk for VL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

Im just going to quickly go through the whole field, with a view to counting and and out horses.

Anyone with any questions for a particual horse? or anything about national etc..

Look forward to this and enjoyed your Cheltenham one!

Will be interesting to hear what you make of Pairofbrowneyes, Jury Duty and Dounikos' chances especially..

I have already gone in ew on VL on the strength of your analysis :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Gigginstown have the 4/1 fav going for his second National win. They are obviously gonna put in as many no hopers as they can to limit the number of dangers.

That's a good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Great stuff Aidan and thank you! Your podcast for Cheltenham made for easy listening. Really enjoyed it.

I agree with you about VL and picked him out a good few weeks ago at 100/1. I'm keeping the faith with him...have a good feeling.

I have also some small each ways on Don Poli, One for Arthur, Sandymount Duke and Dounikos. Will listen out for the podcast tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

I've always had a soft spot for Mala Beach. I haven't seen him run this year. Can anyone make a convincing case for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Amazing the damage HT can do to a price, he put up {Joe Farrell} today, and the price went into freefall, now 8th fav.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

You may talk about my four!
    Pairofbrowneyes
    Vintage Clouds
    Mall Dini
    A Toi Phil
    Yala Enki

I have had a bet on Valseur Lido at 100s after you put him up though, followed you in on that.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Course he does. They got the weight down. Plot job. Rachel just needs to stay in the saddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Jury Duty is my choice too.

Timeform tipping it as value too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

My selections will be the same as every year for this race recently. Pick the one I think has a chance of winning from previous form, handicap mark, etc. Then pick both the kids birthdays, sit back and enjoy the spectacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

Are Bet365 doing their grand national offer this year?

dotsflan wrote: »

We all pray and hope so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

To lads putting up jury duty to win the 4m National. ......you have seen it fail to get three miles ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ballyhagan

When does the Bet365 offer usually come out?
    Is it worth waiting for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭mulbot

To lads putting up jury duty to win the 4m National. ......you have seen it fail to get three miles ya?

He won his last over 3.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

dotsflan wrote: »
    What was the offer again? I can't remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

finbarrk wrote:
    What was the offer again? I can't remember.

You get the each way part of your stake back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

The offer is up on the B365 site home page! Up to €125 back. Fill your boots boys.

Earendil wrote: »
    The offer is up on the B365 site home page! Up to €125 back. Fill your boots boys.

They'll go best odds on Saturday morning so could be worth waiting for those you think won't shorten too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Slattsy wrote: »
    They'll go best odds on Saturday morning so could be worth waiting for those you think won't shorten too much.

They are Best Odds already.

How likely is it that The Young Master gets in at this stage? His weight and run at Cheltenham are eye-catching ...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

what time is final declarations today?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Pairofbrowneyes not declared by Willie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

The final 40 horses for the 2019 Grand National at Aintree have been confirmed

1. Anibale Fly
    2. Valtor
    3. Tiger Roll
    4. Outlander
    5. Don Poli
    6. Go Conquer
    7. Mala Beach
    8. Minella Rocco
    9. Lake View Lad
    10. Pleasant Company
    11. Ballyoptic
    12. Dounikos
    13. Rathvinden
    14. One For Arthur
    15. Rock The Kasbah
    16. Warriors Tale
    17. Regal Encore
    18. Magic Of Light
    19. A Toi Phil
    20. Jury Duty
    21. Noble Endeavour
    22. Monbeg Notorious
    23. Ramses De Teillee
    24. Tea For Two
    25. Mall Dini
    26. Step Back
    27. Ultragold
    28. Blow By Blow
    29. Up For Review
    30. Singlefarmpayment
    31. Vieux Lion Rouge
    32. Valseur Lad
    33. Vintage Clouds
    34. General Principle
    35. Livelovelaugh
    36. Walk In The Mill
    37. Folsom Blue
    38. Captain Redbeard
    39. Bless The Wings
    40. Joe Farrell

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Slow by slow tailor made for this

It would be savage to see Anibale Fly win it off top weight, great for Tony Martin.

The irony of Tony Martin winning the biggest handicap in the world off top weight would not be lost. ( after the Galway Hurdle of course, which everyone knows is the biggest race in the world )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Vintage Clouds my only pick so far... Pairofbrowneyes was my other unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Who will ride rathvinden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Who will ride rathvinden?

Ruby just said he's on

Blow by Blow 100/1 - absolute good thing lads !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement