Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car do you wish you never sold?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Only one regret:
    1994 E36 320i coupe. Lovely 6 cylinder noise and rear wheel drive. Took me 10 years to buy another BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Quite a few I'd like to have kept in hindsight, but the one that most sticks in my mind was a 1990 Porsche 944 S2. Gorgeous to look at, and even better to drive. I sold it for exactly what I'd paid for it, but it would be worth at least twice as much now.
    Definitely going to get another one before the prices go crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've been lucky so far that each car I've bought has been bigger/better specced than the last, so no regrets on that side.

There have been a few loaners over the years that made me think - the 2009 Q7 3.0 TDI Quattro for a few days while my own A6 was getting stuff done is probably the one that stands out most.
    When I first got it I thought "this is stupid! FFS you have to climb into the thing and it's far too big!", but it's amazing how quickly I got used to it and very comfortable in it - to the point that I was sorry to see it go back.

You couldn't afford to put diesel in it though! Not with my mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

2001 surely :confused:

Edited! Was actually a 00, thinking of a different car reg.

6049805681_f36be1e025_z.jpg

6049795579_9a3cc20661_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

My 2006 Lexus GS450h SE-L ohhhh if the tax wasnt so awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Jerry5 wrote: »
    Most people who are into cars have sold at least one that they regret!
    What cars have you sold that you wish you could have back?
    I'll tell you after you have told us first...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

A mk2 XR2, I swapped it for a 1.9 gti and the new owner put it into a ditch about a month later and wrote it off. It was absolutely mint when we swapped, tiny miles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

trellheim wrote:
    My 2006 Lexus GS450h SE-L ohhhh if the tax wasnt so awful

I know someone selling a pure minter of a 450h if you are really interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

My mark 1 MX5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

1984 Ford Capri 'Laser'
    1992 Alfa Romeo 33

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

1998 mitsubishi galant 2.5 v6 exec, drool. Tax was a killer

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    1998 mitsubishi galant 2.5 v6 exec, drool.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

A 1990 mint metallic Polo mk 2

She was a beautiful looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

I regret selling my
    Ford Sierra cosworth and my
    Mazda rx7.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,480 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Haven't sold any. I rent a large garage to store all my cars! 1976 Mini Clubman, 1980 mini 1275GT and a 1998 2.8 Z3. All weekend cars now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Gravelly wrote: »
    :confused:

Had one. Sold it. Wish i never did. Point of thread!

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Had one. Sold it. Wish i never did. Point of thread!

Ah no, I get that. ‘‘Twas “Mitsubishi Galant” and “drool” in the same sentence took me by surprise a bit - it was a bit like coming around a bend in the road and seeing some lad w@nking over the body of a dead badger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Ah no, I get that. ‘‘Twas “Mitsubishi Galant” and “drool” in the same sentence took me by surprise a bit - it was a bit like coming around a bend in the road and seeing some lad w@nking over the body of a dead badger.

Yeah, DEAD badger, weirdo.

Yeah, DEAD badger, weirdo.

Would a live one not be weird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Would a live one not be weird?

That was the joke :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭blackbox

I used to have a Citroen BX GT that was something rather special. It could be driven very fast on bumpy roads due to fabulous suspension and seats. Twin cam engine was nice too.
    Unfortunately I found it too difficult to diagnose faults in hydraulic system and very costly to replace bits (especially wrong bits!).
    If I had it now it would be a great restoration project.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

93 & 94Porsche 968. Both of them.

86 Coupé Quattro

Huge mistake.

:(

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

blackbox wrote: »
    I used to have a Citroen BX GT that was something rather special. It could be driven very fast on bumpy roads due to fabulous suspension and seats. Twin cam engine was nice too.
    Unfortunately I found it too difficult to diagnose faults in hydraulic system and very costly to replace bits (especially wrong bits!).
    If I had it now it would be a great restoration project.

I know where there's one in a shed: BX GTi

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

In the early noughties I traded my high spec Vx Cavalier TD for newer Astra 1.7TD. The Cavalier was bulletproof and powered by an Isuzu engine. The newer Astra was powered by GM's lowblow engine and was an unmerciful heap of sh|te. I should've kept the Cav. I dispensed with the Astra when circumstances permitted.

Similar occurred a few years later. The traded Astra gave way to a Ford Cmax for Mrs Pukka. I picked up a Mk2 Punto needing repair and planned on keeping it a short while till I bought something newer. In fact, it turned out to be such a good car that I kept it for over 4 years. Following bereavement and to help lift broken spirits, I bought a Grande Punto diesel. It was woeful and afflicted by all kinds of gremlins. I suffered it for two years and dispensed with it. Again, I should've kept the MK2 Punto. It was more reliable and way cheaper to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Bit off topic those Isuzu engines wer great had a 97 Vauxhall vectra so economical and reliable unfortunately rest of car fell apart around it this was on a 3 three year old car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

My father's Carina e sent to the scrapper, very little wrong with it and now my old man is ill. I'd love to have it back to sit where he sat.

Advertisement