Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOST €2,500 from my BOI account!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Definitely not a computer virus.  But neither bank can track down the €2,500.  They said they have never seen it happen before.  They said if a transaction fails it will bounce back to the originating account by 10 days.  But is now 13 days and neither bank can track down the money.

Thanks Xcellor for understanding my frustration.  

Has definitely happened before but maybe the customer service person hasnt seen it happen. It is quite common for payments to fail or have issues (could be an issue with a whole file rather than one payment)

Bank of Ireland have a payments team who deal solely in issues etc.. That would cover this but I would suspect they may not be dealing with the correct contact who is only saying its successful, which it may well be and issue with tsb) They should even be able to contact tsb if it's an issue on their side but its all about having the right contacts in the investigation team which is different to the service people you are dealing with

Have you confirmed the IBAN is actually correct? Have you checked that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm using BOI online for business and personal banking since it started around 20 years ago. Used correctly its totally safe.

It's not like bitcoin where your manager dies and no one can access your money. There is a record of it and its movements. You will get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Hope you get sorted. From what I've read online, ask the BOI for a full copy of the payment message confirming all the details; BIC, IBAN, date time, etc. If it looks okay, bring it to the TSB. 

Make an official complaint to both banks, just to get it recorded. 

My own thoughts, talk to Bank of Ireland on Twitter. They should have reps online who may be able to help you in some way. 

best of luck.

Its a Payee that I have setup in online banking, so have transferred to that account before successfully. Have given TSB the proof of payment from BOI and they said that they have not received it. They said that they have checked holding accounts, rejected accounts etc and they do not have it.

Why so quick to point the finger at BOI and not TSB?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

Definitely not a computer virus.  But neither bank can track down the €2,500.  They said they have never seen it happen before.  They said if a transaction fails it will bounce back to the originating account by 10 days.  But is now 13 days and neither bank can track down the money.

Thanks Xcellor for understanding my frustration.  

How good are you at basic maths ? they mean 10 working days.
    Today is only the eight maybe ninth day.  Stick it out for another day or two.
    Then come back with your rant about a good bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Carol Anne BOI customer

20/20 wrote: »
    How good are you at basic maths ? they mean 10 working days.
    Today is only the eight maybe ninth day.  Stick it out for another day or two.
    Then come back with your rant about a good bank.

No, the BOI manager said 10 days including weekends and he said that it is outside of it now with it being 13 days. I wouldn’t call them a good bank because they are not communicating with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

No, the BOI manager said 10 days including weekends and he said that it is outside of it now with it being 13 days.  I wouldn’t call them a good bank because they are not communicating with me.

Are you sure you heard him correct with all the steam that may have been coming out of your ears ??
    Banks do not count weekends as a working day.

BOI manager said that it won't be in my account by tomorrow, because they are unable to trace the €2,500, so either way that is 10 working days.
    €2,500 is a significant amount of money.  It is a concern that a bank cannot track it down for such a long time.  I hope it dosn't happen to any other customer because it could mean someone missing a mortgage payment, bill payment etc.
    I will let ye know tomorrow if I get any update from them.  It's just such a long time from 1st Feb for €2,500 to go untraceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

€2500 is a lot of money to have lost. I can see why you are frustrated. Clearly anyone judging you here for being frustrated doesn't think this is a lot of money. If I transferred a large amount of money and it didn't show up, I would be livid. This may not be the case, but if it was for a mortgage payment or something similar, it could affect your credit rating. The flippant attitude of the bank would irritate me.

On a practical note, Have you physically visited either bank? It's very easy to be put off by phone/email, but face to face it's considerably tougher. It's not the first time this has happened in the history of either bank. Get an appointment with the bank manager. Whatever you do, Good Luck with it!

klm1 wrote: »
    €2500 is a lot of money to have lost. I can see why you are frustrated. Clearly anyone judging you here for being frustrated doesn't think this is a lot of money. If I transferred a large amount of money and it didn't show up, I would be livid. This may not be the case, but if it was for a mortgage payment or something similar, it could affect your credit rating. The flippant attitude of the bank would irritate me.

On a practical note, Have you physically visited either bank? It's very easy to be put off by phone/email, but face to face it's considerably tougher. It's not the first time this has happened in the history of either bank. Get an appointment with the bank manager. Whatever you do, Good Luck with it!
    Thanks very much klm1 for your understanding of the significance of the situation.  The transfer was for a mortgage payment and I told the BOI team leader that (the one who hung up the phone on me) but no empathy was shown.  It is the 365 call centres that I am dealing with, so they said that them buildings are not accessible to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

So you admitted it takes 13 days and were only on the 8th or 9th.

Very quick and unfair to penalize a bank like that if it turns out to be a rare IT error

No, today is now day 14,  or 10 working days.  They said it won't be in my bank account tomorrow because they can't trace it.
    They said that the normal timeframe for an online transaction from one Irish bank to another is one working day.  Tomorrow will be 15 days or 11 working days and they said that it will not be in my account tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Very quick and unfair to penalize a bank like that if it turns out to be a rare IT error
    I don't understand the rage at the OP here the bank somewhere has messed up on the service they provide and failed to communicate efficiently with the customer.

I think it is unfair on the OP to not have access to a large sum of money and no idea when they will be able to either the sympathy here should not lie with the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

rosiem wrote: »

I don't understand the rage at the OP here the bank somewhere has messed up on the service they provide and failed to communicate efficiently with the customer.

I think it is unfair on the OP to not have access to a large sum of money and no idea when they will be able to either the sympathy here should not lie with the bank.

Hear hear, I'd be livid in this situation, seems to be a lot of pro BOI commenters here who think as this is a rare occurrence that it is acceptable. It may be rare when looked at from the point of view of all the daily bank transactions, but for the individual customers it affects this could have a major impact, missing mortgage or loan repayments, ruining their credit reports etc. Lots of people live paycheck to paycheck and can't just do another transfer while waiting weeks for the missing money to reappear.

Thank you so much KingCong, rosiem, klm1 and all the other posters who showed their understanding of the difficult situation I am in, with not having access to my €2,500 following a BOI online transaction on 1st February 2019.  
    Also although I have lodged it as a formal complaint with BOI, they have not acknowledged that complaint in writing, although they are legally obliged to do so within 5 working days.  

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

klm1 wrote: »

Thanks very much klm1 for your understanding of the significance of the situation.  The transfer was for a mortgage payment and I told the BOI team leader that (the one who hung up the phone on me) but no empathy was shown.  It is the 365 call centres that I am dealing with, so they said that them buildings are not accessible to the public.
    I understand that you're dealing with the 365 team, but your account is tied to a physical bank somewhere. I personally would call that bank and demand a meeting with the manager to explain the situation and look for a definitive plan to solve the issue.

Surely the bank has a responsibility to you and your money? If they are charged with transferring a large sum from your account to another of your accounts and the transfer doesn't happen, then it is their system that has failed. You should not be at a loss for that.

I really wish banks could be held more accountable, but it seems we have learned nothing in this country.

It's also noticeable that no-one from BOI has chimed in here to offer any assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Carol Anne,

Thanks for reaching out to us here. We completely understand how upsetting it can be when something like this happens. We have been in touch with our colleagues and they have assured us this is being fully investigated.

Please be assured that our complaints team are obliged to meet all regulatory and compliance requirements when handling customer complaints.

On the day a customer contacts us with an expression of dissatisfaction we will log this on our complaints system and this is deemed as day one. We understand your complaint was raised with us on Monday 11th February. For the majority of complaints, we will acknowledge it in writing within five business days (weekends and bank holidays are not included) providing the outcome of the investigation. As your complaint relates to a payment service, the time frame allowed is between 15 and 35 business days. Please see quoted text from our Customer Complaints Process for more details on this:

"If your complaint relates to a payment service we will write to you addressing all points raised, within 15 business days of receipt of your complaint. In exceptional situations, if the answer cannot be given within 15 business days, we will write to you no later than 35 business days."

Rest assured as soon as our colleagues in the complaints department have an update in relation to your complaint they will be back in touch.

We can assure you and the Boards community that our systems are secure and safe to use for all of your banking needs. We’d really like to thank the Boards community for stepping in to help with reassurance and practical advice on this thread.

All the best,
    Tara

rosiem wrote:

The rage I think is there because BOI has been singled out when it could equally have been TSB at fault. It may yet be BOI but no one including op knows that yet.

I understand that it's frustrating but it's not like the money won't be returned regardless of which bank is at fault. TSB won't use this as a black mark against credit rating as its a genuine case & might actually be their fault.

Hi Tara,

You excluded the 1st paragraph of the process stating that you "write to you within five working days giving you the name of the person dealing with your issue and letting you know when you can expect a full response".  

Investigation
    Some issues are quite complex and we may not be able to solve the problem immediately. If so, we’ll write to you within five working days giving you the name of the person dealing with your issue and letting you know when you can expect a full response. As part of the investigation we may need to contact you to discuss the issue. We aim to settle matters as quickly and as fairly as possible. If we need to carry out a detailed investigation, we’ll keep you fully informed throughout the process.

Hence, please confirm that this letter will be in the post today?  Ye are legally obliged to provide it within five working days.  I have already requested it by email to 3 BOI staff but these emails have been ignored.  Interestingly, ye decide to provide details of my complaint on a public forum but 3 BOI staff ignore my emails when requesting letter in writing acknowledging my complaint and a complaint no.  Please provide me with my complaint no.

In fact the only correspondence I have in writing from BOI in relation to my complaint regarding €2,500 of my money that BOI online has mislaid and refuses to return is on a public Boards.ie forum!!!!!! Strange that ye can't reply to private emails or post an acknowledgement of complaint but ye can reply to a public forum.  That is complete breach of GDPR regulations. 

Also I would like to thank the boards forum for providing me with more information in regards to the complaints process etc that BOI have.  I mean a team leader in BOI hanging up the phone on a customer when questioned about timelines is appalling!!  The reality is BOI have lost €2,500 of my money for 14 days now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

This is hilarious. OP you sound like a nightmare to deal with, perhaps stop with the demands and you might find people are more likely to help you.

Was the money being sent to another C/A? Or did you try and send it directly to a mortgage account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Where's the GDPR breach?!

Here you go OP, a step by step guide on how to get your issue resolved:

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/complaints-about-financial-services-providers/

BOI is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
    Thanks very much Thiago Unimportant Scorecard.

Tara, the information you have provided on Boards.ie public forum is inaccurate.  Please read link posted by Thiago Unimportant Scorecard to Financial Services Ombudsman website.  It is 5 days not 15 days to acknowledge complaint in writing.

It states:
    If the firm you are dealing with is regulated by the Central Bank, they must:
    • Acknowledge receipt of your complaint in writing within 5 business days and give you the name of the person you should contact about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Here you go OP, a step by step guide on how to get your issue resolved:

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/complaints-about-financial-services-providers/

BOI is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
    Thanks very much Thiago Unimportant Scorecard.

Tara, the information you have provided on Boards.ie public forum is inaccurate.  Please read link posted by Thiago Unimportant Scorecard to Financial Services Ombudsman website.  It is 5 days not 15 days to acknowledge complaint in writing.

It states:
    • Acknowledge receipt of your complaint in writing within 5 business days and give you the name of the person you should contact about it

[*]
    The complaint that was raised 3 days ago?

Hi Carol Anne,

Thanks for getting back to us. We're sorry if our reply was not clear so to clarify in the hope that it helps you and the Boards community to understand that there is now two complaint types, CPC and PSD2, both have different time frames.

Your particular complaint is classified under PSD2 as it is about payment services. This differs from CPC (Consumer protection code). We hope you find this helpful and please bear with our colleagues while they complete their investigations in to this.

Thanks
    Tara 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

• Identify problem
    • Report to bank via phone/ online chat & help systems
    • Obtain reference numbers and names of staff that are trying to help you 
    • Triple check logins, accounts, everything you can
    • Scan device for malware to rule out foul play (redirection/duplicate fake site)
    • Arrange meeting with manager of local branch (in person, asap) remain calm, explain urgency of situation
    • While BOI are investigating, provide recipient bank (TSB) with information too, and see what they might be able to assist with
    • Remain calm, follow up the next day - politely (phone/ twitter DM/ here)
    [*]

For anyone that finds themself in OP's position, try these steps and take no inspiration from this thread...

Hi Carol Anne,

Thanks for getting back to us. We're sorry if our reply was not clear so to clarify in the hope that it helps you and the Boards community to understand that there is now two complaint types, CPC and PSD2, both have different time frames.

Your particular complaint is classified under PSD2 as it is about payment services. This differs from CPC (Consumer protection code). We hope you find this helpful and please bear with our colleagues while they complete their investigations in to this.

Thanks
    Tara 
    Hi Tara,

The Financial Services ombudsman says different.  Can you send me on my complaint number please?
    I rang Financial Services ombudsman and they told me what is written below and on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

I can't believe all the people here telling the OP shes being difficult. If you had €2500 missing almost two weeks later and both banks told you they didn't have it you would be pretty concerned too. If it was 5 working days I'd say yeah, anything over that is really cause for concern especially when they say they don't know what happened. It was a simple bank transfer, this is literally what they do. Errors occur but they can't even tell her what happened. 

Hi Tara,

The Financial Services ombudsman says different.  Can you send me on my complaint number please?
    I rang Financial Services ombudsman and they told me what is written below and on their website.

[*]

Thanks again for getting back to us Carol Anne. We wouldn't be in a position to disclose this type of information on a public forum. If you call our customer service team an adviser will be happy to help.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The rage I think is there because BOI has been singled out when it could equally have been TSB at fault. It may yet be BOI but no one including op knows that yet.

I understand that it's frustrating but it's not like the money won't be returned regardless of which bank is at fault. TSB won't use this as a black mark against credit rating as its a genuine case & might actually be their fault.

Exactly, people including myself were because op had originally even mentioned personal names in the original post. Not enough of the story was put in the original post so naturally enough we jumped at OP for immediately penalizing BOI. Glad to hear its getting resolved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

We still don't have enough of the story to make any judgement calls on who is in the wrong, to be fair.

It's not always a black and white answer. This thread is a great indication of how not to deal with people trying to help you. Be nice, be understanding and people will be decent to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement