Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOST €2,500 from my BOI account!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

This is some shocking service from BOI. They don't even seem to understand their own terms and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Hi Tara,

You excluded the 1st paragraph of the process stating that you "write to you within five working days giving you the name of the person dealing with your issue and letting you know when you can expect a full response".  

Investigation
    Some issues are quite complex and we may not be able to solve the problem immediately. If so, we’ll write to you within five working days giving you the name of the person dealing with your issue and letting you know when you can expect a full response. As part of the investigation we may need to contact you to discuss the issue. We aim to settle matters as quickly and as fairly as possible. If we need to carry out a detailed investigation, we’ll keep you fully informed throughout the process.

Hence, please confirm that this letter will be in the post today?  Ye are legally obliged to provide it within five working days.  I have already requested it by email to 3 BOI staff but these emails have been ignored.  Interestingly, ye decide to provide details of my complaint on a public forum but 3 BOI staff ignore my emails when requesting letter in writing acknowledging my complaint and a complaint no.  Please provide me with my complaint no.

In fact the only correspondence I have in writing from BOI in relation to my complaint regarding €2,500 of my money that BOI online has mislaid and refuses to return is on a public Boards.ie forum!!!!!! Strange that ye can't reply to private emails or post an acknowledgement of complaint but ye can reply to a public forum.  That is complete breach of GDPR regulations. 

Also I would like to thank the boards forum for providing me with more information in regards to the complaints process etc that BOI have.  I mean a team leader in BOI hanging up the phone on a customer when questioned about timelines is appalling!!  The reality is BOI have lost €2,500 of my money for 14 days now!!

Where is the breach you speak of OP?

GDPR breach doesnt count if nobody discloses personal details. Do you see BOI agent on the forum discussing any financial or personal details? They clearly are only replying in a verh vague way.

Being aggressive or patronizing to the staff wont get you your money back any faster.

What makes your 2500 so special that they want to withhold it from you?

The staff member clearly stated it could take 15 to 35 working days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Hi Tara,

You excluded the 1st paragraph of the process stating that you "write to you within five working days giving you the name of the person dealing with your issue and letting you know when you can expect a full response".  

Investigation
    Some issues are quite complex and we may not be able to solve the problem immediately. If so, we’ll write to you within five working days giving you the name of the person dealing with your issue and letting you know when you can expect a full response. As part of the investigation we may need to contact you to discuss the issue. We aim to settle matters as quickly and as fairly as possible. If we need to carry out a detailed investigation, we’ll keep you fully informed throughout the process.

Hence, please confirm that this letter will be in the post today?  Ye are legally obliged to provide it within five working days.  I have already requested it by email to 3 BOI staff but these emails have been ignored.  Interestingly, ye decide to provide details of my complaint on a public forum but 3 BOI staff ignore my emails when requesting letter in writing acknowledging my complaint and a complaint no.  Please provide me with my complaint no.

In fact the only correspondence I have in writing from BOI in relation to my complaint regarding €2,500 of my money that BOI online has mislaid and refuses to return is on a public Boards.ie forum!!!!!! Strange that ye can't reply to private emails or post an acknowledgement of complaint but ye can reply to a public forum.  That is complete breach of GDPR regulations. 

Also I would like to thank the boards forum for providing me with more information in regards to the complaints process etc that BOI have.  I mean a team leader in BOI hanging up the phone on a customer when questioned about timelines is appalling!!  The reality is BOI have lost €2,500 of my money for 14 days now!!
    It's no more a GDPR breach Carol Anne, saying it is one doesn't make it so. The BOI rep has also explained why they don't have to respond in 5 days in this case too. There are varying rules depending on the scenario, the 5 day rule doesn't seem to apply here.

It's frustrating but taking it out on the people on the end of the phone/email won't help, they're the only people who can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Carol Anne BOI customer

Hi Tara,

The Financial Services ombudsman says different.  Can you send me on my complaint number please?
    I rang Financial Services ombudsman and they told me what is written below and on their website.

If the firm you are dealing with is regulated by the Central Bank, they must:
    • Acknowledge receipt of your complaint in writing within 5 business days and give you the name of the person you should contact about it

[*]

Thanks again for getting back to us Carol Anne. We wouldn't be in a position to disclose this type of information on a public forum. If you call our customer service team an adviser will be happy to help.

Thanks
    Tara
    [*]
    Hi Tara,

The advisor I spoke to yesterday said that BOI would not have any further information this week and said that there was no point in me contacting BOI again.  Can you please simply post out a letter of acknowledgement of the complaint to me?  It's a very request and BOI are legally obliged to provide it.  

I think it is unfair that BOI are not returning my €2,500 to me, which has gone missing as a result of a failed transaction on BOI online website.  It's not fair that just because ye can't track down where ye're website sent the money to, that ye don't return my money to me.  It is ye're obligation to me as a customer, as ye're website did not provide the safe and secure transfer of the €2,500 that it is supposed to.  Why should I be penalized as a result of it.  The communication from BOI has been extremely poor, in fact the only written communication I have from BOI is on this public Boards.ie forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

[*]
    Hi Tara,

The advisor I spoke to yesterday said that BOI would not have any further information this week and said that there was no point in me contacting BOI again.  Can you please simply post out a letter of acknowledgement of the complaint to me?  It's a very request and BOI are legally obliged to provide it.  

I think it is unfair that BOI are not returning my €2,500 to me, which has gone missing as a result of a failed transaction on BOI online website.  It's not fair that just because ye can't track down where ye're website sent the money to, that ye don't return my money to me.  It is ye're obligation to me as a customer, as ye're website did not provide the safe and secure transfer of the €2,500 that it is supposed to.  Why should I be penalized as a result of it.  The communication from BOI has been extremely poor, in fact the only written communication I have from BOI is on this public Boards.ie forum

Hi Carol Anne,

Our colleagues in the complaints team are investigating and they will write to you directly with the outcome under PSD2 Complaint time frames.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

Nobody seems that bothered about 2500 going missing. Computerized banking they said, be grand they said!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

emo72 wrote:
    Nobody seems that bothered about 2500 going missing. Computerized banking they said, be grand they said!

Have you sent money before? It's fairly simple being honest. If you've sent it to a valid IBAN and BIC, it's directed there. It's you've misplaced a number or have for example the wrong reference number on a mortgage account, it's slightly more difficult to find, given its not interbank and they'll need PTSB to cooperate.

[*]
    Hi Tara,

[*]

Hi Carol Anne,

Our colleagues in the complaints team are investigating and they will write to you directly with the outcome under PSD2 Complaint time frames.

Thanks
    Tara
    [*]
    Tara,  
    what is PSD2 Complaint time frames?  I was never informed of this by anyone I spoke to in BOI.  That is why there is so much frustration, because of the bad communication from BOI.  Ye have no right to not return my €2,500 after 2 weeks, just because ye can't track where ye're website sent the money to.  It's unfair that I should have to wait.  It's not my fault.  I'm the innocent victim and this BOI fiasco is causing a lot of financial problems for me. 

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

emo72 wrote: »
    This is actually the point. If a bank lost 2,500 on me I'd be screwed. Direct debits missed mortgage not paid. Oh yeah I'll tell my landlord I'll pay him once BOI get their finger out of their hole and give back the money. Have they not received enough negative publicity in relation to the publics money?

RossieMan wrote: »
    Originally posted by emo72

Have you sent money before? It's fairly simple being honest. If you've sent it to a valid IBAN and BIC, it's directed there. It's you've misplaced a number or have for example the wrong reference number on a mortgage account, it's slightly more difficult to find, given its not interbank and they'll need PTSB to cooperate.
    Yes, I had the destination account set up as a payee and have send previous transactions to it.  The details are all accurate.  TSB have confirmed that the money never reached TSB, or any of its holding or reject accounts.  TSB have provided me with written correspondence, which BOI are refusing to do.  TSB have also been very good at ringing me etc.
    BOI just can't find where their website sent the money and are refusing to return €2,500 to me while they play hide and seek with their online system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,780 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

RossieMan wrote: »
    Originally posted by emo72

The OP said the below, so I doubt they misplaced a number, I have no idea why the OP is getting such a rough ride, I wouldnt be happy, hope BOI sort it for you (I dont bank with them any more....and I used to work for them).
    2.5k is a lot of money!

Its a Payee that I have setup in online banking, so have transferred to that account before successfully.

Yes, I had the destination account set up as a payee and have send previous transactions to it.  The details are all accurate.  TSB have confirmed that the money never reached TSB, or any of its holding or reject accounts.  TSB have provided me with written correspondence, which BOI are refusing to do.  TSB have also been very good at ringing me etc.
    BOI just can't find where their website sent the money and are refusing to return €2,500 to me while they play hide and seek with their online system!

Im pretty sure they didnt refuse to give you written correspondence.. More like they cant just yet while they investigate.

Its BOI not a sweat shop. They will provide you with relevant evidence once they have fixed the problem.

Thank you so much to all the Boards members who understand how frustrating this situation is and the amount of inconvenience it has caused to me.  BOI don't seem to have empathy with the fact that not returning €2,500 to a customer because of a failure of their IT system, could mean missed mortgage, unpaid bills, no money to put food on the table etc for many people.

Im pretty sure they didnt refuse to give you written correspondence.. More like they cant just yet while they investigate.

Its BOI not a sweat shop. They will provide you with relevant evidence once they have fixed the problem.
    I am currently asking for a complaint no. and a written acknowledgement of the complaint and they have refused it.  They are legally obliged to provide it.

I am currently asking for a complaint no. and a written acknowledgement of the complaint and they have refused it.  They are legally obliged to provide it.

Via a public forum.

And didnt you only raise the complaint on the 11th of february and its been confirmed it can take 5 working days or more for the acknowledgement?

You are inside the timeframe. Youll get the number and acknowledgement once the complaint has been processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

Your correspondence should have "Formal Complaint" highlighted at/near the top, otherwise they may not treat it as a complaint.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Via a public forum.

And didnt you only raise the complaint on the 11th of february and its been confirmed it can take 5 working days or more for the acknowledgement?

You are inside the timeframe. Youll get the number and acknowledgement once the complaint has been processed.
    No, they have said they are not sending it in writing, that they will ring me when they have an update.  The customer is legally entitled to receive it withing 5 working days.

No, they have said they are not sending it in writing, that they will ring me when they have an update.  The customer is legally entitled to receive it withing 5 working days.

5 working days hasnt come yet.

I can't believe all the people here telling the OP shes being difficult. If you had €2500 missing almost two weeks later and both banks told you they didn't have it you would be pretty concerned too. If it was 5 working days I'd say yeah, anything over that is really cause for concern especially when they say they don't know what happened. It was a simple bank transfer, this is literally what they do. Errors occur but they can't even tell her what happened. 
    Thanks very much Lorrenna, very good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Maybe it's lost in the post? Not the money the letter!

• Advertisement

I can't for the life of me see why people are having a go at the OP.

See transferred money using BOI to an account that she has transferred money to before.
    The money has not reached the intended recipient.

Regardless of how much she transferred, or who the intended recipient is, this is the OPs money that has gone missing, and the only party that was definitely involved is BOI.
    Surely this falls squarely at their feet, until they can confirm that they did everything correctly on their end. It looks, based on the information that we have, that they have not been able to provide any proof that they are not responsible.
    That should be the first port of call. BOI need to prove that they sent the requested funds to the other bank. 

Regardless of what the official time lines are, if I had asked a bank to transfer money for me, and they didnt do it, I would at least expect to be given my money back. The OP is out of pocket at the moment, and surely BOI need to do some to rectify the issue. Saying that they are looking into it, isn't good enough. Money has gone missing, and until they can confirm otherwise, they are responsible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Contact the financial ombudsman, the missing money will quickly resurface.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's been pointed out twice now that this doesn't fall under the 5 day law. It's 15 business days = three weeks

"If your complaint relates to a payment service we will write to you addressing all points raised, within 15 business days of receipt of your complaint. In exceptional situations, if the answer cannot be given within 15 business days, we will write to you no later than 35 business days."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,780 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Steer55 wrote: »
    Contact the financial ombudsman, the missing money will quickly resurface.
    This is a good idea, I had an issue with scam text messages within about a day of mentioning Comreg I had a refund.

See transferred money using BOI to an account that she has transferred money to before.

Regardless of how much she transferred, or who the intended recipient is, this is the OPs money that has gone missing, and the only party that was definitely involved is BOI.
    Surely this falls squarely at their feet, until they can confirm that they did everything correctly on their end. It looks, based on the information that we have, that they have not been able to provide any proof that they are not responsible.
    That should be the first port of call. BOI need to prove that they sent the requested funds to the other bank. 

Regardless of what the official time lines are, if I had asked a bank to transfer money for me, and they didnt do it, I would at least expect to be given my money back. The OP is out of pocket at the moment, and surely BOI need to do some to rectify the issue. Saying that they are looking into it, isn't good enough. Money has gone missing, and until they can confirm otherwise, they are responsible
    Thank you bazwraf,  well put.
    BOI have given me absolutely no assurance that they will return my €2,500, that went missing on their online website although all the recipient details were correct and I had transferred to the same account previously.  Its appalling behaviour.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Mod note:
    I've removed a couple of posts that were below the required standard for the forum. Please remember that this the Bank of Ireland forum, personally abusive posts or anything in that vein are not permitted. 

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thank you bazwraf,  well put.
    BOI have given me absolutely no assurance that they will return my €2,500, that went missing on their online website although all the recipient details were correct and I had transferred to the same account previously.  Its appalling behaviour.
    They can't assure you that they will return the money because TSB might have it. Assuring you now leaves them liable for a loss that might not be their doing.

You will get your money back. That's for certain. There is zero chance of you not getting it back. They have to find out who has it first. TSB might have it or BOI might have it but you will get it back for sure

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Maybe it's lost in the post? Not the money the letter!

Sorry i meant to the op that the 5 working day minimum timeframe has not passed yet as the complaint was only raised on the 11th so technically not due a response yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Tow wrote: »
    Your correspondence should have "Formal Complaint" highlighted at/near the top, otherwise they may not treat it as a complaint.
    As a person who deals with complaints,  you are not correct. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's been pointed out twice now that this doesn't fall under the 5 day law. It's 15 business days = three weeks

"If your complaint relates to a payment service we will write to you addressing all points raised, within 15 business days of receipt of your complaint. In exceptional situations, if the answer cannot be given within 15 business days, we will write to you no later than 35 business days."
    To be fair the only reference to that I've seen linked is on the BOI website.
    The only official length of time I've seen is on CPCC website which is 5 days.

I'm not saying its wrong but just because BOI say on their website something doesn't mean it is correct, is there any reference to somewhere official that states that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement