Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOST €2,500 from my BOI account!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Regardless of what the official time lines are, if I had asked a bank to transfer money for me, and they didnt do it, I would at least expect to be given my money back. The OP is out of pocket at the moment, and surely BOI need to do some to rectify the issue. Saying that they are looking into it, isn't good enough. Money has gone missing, and until they can confirm otherwise, they are responsible
    They obviously have to look into it before they give her 2,500.

It's frustrating and if it turns out the bank have left you out of pocket for a number of days and it was their fault then 100% pursue it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Carol Anne BOI customer

hots wrote: »

Regardless of what the official time lines are, if I had asked a bank to transfer money for me, and they didnt do it, I would at least expect to be given my money back. The OP is out of pocket at the moment, and surely BOI need to do some to rectify the issue. Saying that they are looking into it, isn't good enough. Money has gone missing, and until they can confirm otherwise, they are responsible
    They obviously have to look into it before they give her 2,500.

It's frustrating and if it turns out the bank have left you out of pocket for a number of days and it was their fault then 100% pursue it further.
    Good point hots, thanks.
    The real issue here is that I am out of pocket of €2,500 for 14 days now and have no idea for how much longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Hypothetically, who would be liable if it turns out the fault is with BOI and the OP has missed a mortgage payment, credit card payment, maintenance payment, legal fine etc etc. 

I personally could not afford to have 2.5k go missing for 2 weeks, regardless of which bank it is, I would face fairly serious repercussions if I missed any of the above transfers/payments, and I tend to agree with the OP here, BOI have claimed a successful transfer yet it hasn't hit the IBAN specified. 
    How is that successful? 

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Hypothetically, who would be liable if it turns out the fault is with BOI and the OP has missed a mortgage payment, credit card payment, maintenance payment, legal fine etc etc. 

I personally could not afford to have 2.5k go missing for 2 weeks, regardless of which bank it is, I would face fairly serious repercussions if I missed any of the above transfers/payments, and I tend to agree with the OP here, BOI have claimed a successful transfer yet it hasn't hit the IBAN specified. 
    How is that successful? 

BOI would cover costs and likely a gesture of good will... Eg 100e

They really are not here to piss op off and will have resolved.

It's successful in the sense bic IBAN valid. A file would have been sent to tsb. It's all pretty automated and very rarely goes wrong but when it does, lots of avenues to check before locating issue. Still could be with tsb

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

How is that successful? 
    BOI is responsible if it's their fault & TSB if it's their fault.

Successful from the sending bank is that it's sent. BOI has no way to look into OPs TSB account to see if it has landed there. If it has been sent to the correct IBAN then BOI is in the clear. It becomes TSBs problem them.

I would hope that OP has opened a complaint with TSB as well as BOI. I wonder did TSB reply in writing within the 5 days OP is demanding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Sleeper12 wrote: »

How is that successful? 
    BOI is responsible if it's their fault & TSB if it's their fault.

Successful from the sending bank is that it's sent. BOI has no way to look into OPs TSB account to see if it has landed there. If it has been sent to the correct IBAN then BOI is in the clear. It becomes TSBs problem them.

I would hope that OP has opened a complaint with TSB as well as BOI. I wonder did TSB reply in writing within the 5 days OP is demanding?
    If only there was some way of marking it pending until it has arrived to TSB.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Steer55 wrote: »
    Contact the financial ombudsman, the missing money will quickly resurface.
    The ombudsman needs evidence of the complaint having been raised with BOI (letter in writing stating that the complaint has been investigated and giving outcome of the investigation) which the OP doesn't have yet.  I can understand BOI needing to investigate to see what has happened before they refund the money in case the error is not on their side.

I've had my own experience of raising a compliant with BOI which was poorly handled but I did receive written correspondence within the required time-frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

15 days is a fierce long time to wait. back in the old days before internet or computerised banking im sure things were quicker. 

lots of boards people must be uber rich not to be too bothered about 2500 disappearing into the ether. id have a conniption by now.

emo72 wrote:
    lots of boards people must be uber rich not to be too bothered about 2500 disappearing into the ether. id have a conniption by now.

What's to worry about? It's enshrined in EU law that op will be reimbursed by the offending bank, BOI or TSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

Originally posted by emo72

What's to worry about? It's enshrined in EU law that op will be reimbursed by the offending bank, BOI or TSB.
    nothing. nothing at all, its only money, and so what if it goes walkabout for a few weeks. the op probably has loadsa of other money to use. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Am I mental or is the OP going out of their way to ignore any information that they don't agree with?

The bank has not told me that it will be reimbursed, so there is a lot to worry about.  Also it creates a lot of financial problems for me, and stress and frustration at being treated so badly by BOI staff.  I have been a loyal BOI customer for about 30 years and the way I have been treated is very disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

They don’t seem to be able to agree on who is offending.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Am I mental or is the OP going out of their way to ignore any information that they don't agree with?

I don’t think she’s getting much useful information.

The bank has not told me that it will be reimbursed, so there is a lot to worry about.  Also it creates a lot of financial problems for me, and stress and frustration at being treated so badly by BOI staff.  I have been a loyal BOI customer for about 30 years and the way I have been treated is very disappointing.
    BOI can't promise they will reimburse you as only the guilty party will do that. BOI doesn't know whos at fault yet. Under EU law either BOI or TSB will reimburse you. This is not in dispute.

Question: Has TSB replied in writing within the 5 days to your complaint?

BOI can't promise they will reimburse you as only the guilty party will do that. BOI doesn't know whos at fault yet. Under EU law either BOI or TSB will reimburse you. This is not in dispute.

Question: Has TSB replied in writing within the 5 days to your complaint?
    Yes

People say the money must be somewhere. But it could be a software glitch. It’s not physical money.

You’d think however that a bank wouldn’t debut from an account until the receiving bank acknowledged receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Something to think about, OP. If you’ve lodged a formal complaint, which they are in the process of investigating, perhaps it’s not so wise to be posting about it on a public forum? Especially as you’ve already posted real names on this thread? I’d imagine posting on a public forum about a live investigation could potentially compromise that investigation?

Good Point Franz Von Peppercorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Call_me_Al

Thers is only 1 Man that can get to the bottom of this, and his number is 1850 715 815, Talk to Joe

• Advertisement

Call_me_Al wrote: »
    Thers is only 1 Man that can get to the bottom of this, and his number is 1850 715 815, Talk to Joe

Please god this is sarcasm, :)

Thanks Call_me_Al
    A few people have suggested that to me already.

You’d think however that a bank wouldn’t debut from an account until the receiving bank acknowledged receipt.

This isn't the first thread about this sort of thing.

Call_me_Al wrote: »
    Thanks Call_me_Al
    He would stop BOI from stonewalling me.  The fact that this happened to me, means it has the potential to happen to any BOI customer.  It would raise awareness of the risk.

If I don't get a satisfactory result from bank very soon, that's definitely the best option to speed up the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Serious bang of BOI employees posting under private handles in this thread tbh

Yes, I agree Jurgen Klopp.  It's obvious by their responses.  

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭SteM

Yes, I agree Jurgen Klopp.  It's obvious by their responses.  

Sorry but this is nonsense. You really think BOI employees are posting here because they point out things you don't want to hear?

Not me.... Just understand the process. Yes its ****ty to happen but it has to be investigated fully which takes time as tsb could have the funds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Was thinking the same some people are going out of their way to berate OP for a legitimate complaint and don’t seem to think 2,500 is a significant amount of cash to not have access to. I know I would be struggling to survive the month with food on the table if it were to happen to me so the calm down it will be sorted attitude really irks me not everyone has thousands in savings to fall back on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement