Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOST €2,500 from my BOI account!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Yes

So you are covered. Your mortgage won't bounce as you've filed a complaint & it won't effect your credit rating. EU law guarantees that you will be reimbursed by one of the banks. You need to be patient while the two banks get to the bottom of it. From the start of the thread you repeatedly state that BOI haven't returned your money in 13 or 14 days. This is a bit disingenuous imo. You only opened a complaint 3 or 4 days ago, as far as I can see, yet you imply that BOI have been two weeks doing nothing.

It's illogical to expect one bank to guarantee to you that they will return the money when no one knows which bank is at fault yet.

I fully understand that this is stressful but you are making it a lot more stressful for yourself. There is a process that has to be followed. This process only started the day you opened the complaint, on the 11th February I believe. If I have the dates correct then BOI have been only working on this 4 days including the day you opened the complaint.

A UK transfer to my account in Ireland went missing in 2013. It took almost a month for the two banks to track down the money and for it to hit my account.

Serious bang of BOI employees posting under private handles in this thread tbh

Don't count me in that. I'm a plumber & have been posting in the plumbing forum for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I had this issue with AIB as a receiving bank
    Needing weeks of investigation is total nonsense
    There is a clear trail behind the scenes from BoI of the transfer
    There has to be
    In my case it was a BoI transfer to AIB who denied receiving it
    However BoI had evidence of the hand over to AIB including the identity of the individual on AIB's end who accepted the transfer
    On being challenged it was discovered that the funds went into an AIB international holding account
    The funds were credited correctly then that day
    We of course had BoI's cooperation and the threat of the financial ombudsman pointed towards AIB at the time
    So yes call in the troops,its a lot of money

I would suggest investigating again if PTSB have Erred

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please don’t make any further posts about posters who disagree being bank employees. It’s just noise and doesn’t add anything to the discussion

dudara

OP, I know it’s frustrating to not have your money, but the bank must work through the process. The reason they can’t’/won’t admit liability is probably because they don’t know where it is. When you made the transfer, it entered the payment system and it got lost somewhere. It may not even have made it into the payment system.

There are quite a few layers and complexities to work through and it may take time. They have 15 days to respond to you, unless it’s so lengthy that they will require 35 days. You are covered by EU law and you will not be out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Carol Anne BOI customer

rosiem wrote: »

Was thinking the same some people are going out of their way to berate OP for a legitimate complaint and don’t seem to think 2,500 is a significant amount of cash to not have access to. I know I would be struggling to survive the month with food on the table if it were to happen to me so the calm down it will be sorted attitude really irks me not everyone has thousands in savings to fall back on.
    Thanks Jurgen Klopp and rosiem and all the other posters who understand my situation.  It's a terrible situation to be in and is now ongoing for 14 days.  I have been very patient with the bank, too patient in fact.  I trusted that they would have sorted it out initially but that didn't happen.  I had to lodge a formal complaint before they would do anything and even at that had to push it.  Should have done it sooner but I expected that they would have secure IT systems that you can trust to carry a transaction through safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Op i know its stressful but please stop saying you lost 2500 euro. You will get your money back whether its from BOI or tsb. From the banks point of view they dont know what has happened or where the problem lies you cant expect them to hand out 2500 euro at the click of a finger.

Either way you will get your money back.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I had this issue with AIB as a receiving bank
    Needing weeks of investigation is total nonsense
    There is a clear trail behind the scenes from BoI of the transfer
    There has to be
    In my case it was a BoI transfer to AIB who denied receiving it
    However BoI had evidence of the hand over to AIB including the identity of the individual on AIB's end who accepted the transfer
    On being challenged it was discovered that the funds went into an AIB international holding account
    The funds were credited correctly then that day
    We of course had BoI's cooperation and the threat of the financial ombudsman pointed towards AIB at the time
    So yes call in the troops,its a lot of money

I would suggest investigating again if PTSB have Erred
    Thanks Mortelaro,
    Its interesting that "However BoI had evidence of the hand over to AIB including the identity of the individual on AIB's end who accepted the transfer".  In my case BOI can't track down where the €2,500 has gone to or who has received it.  TSB have confirmed that they have checked all holding accounts, reject accounts etc and they never received the money.  In fairness TSB have been very good in communicating with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

I don't work for BOI but I do work for a life assurance company which has no connection to BOI. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I've worked in the banking sector and have experience with transfers. In not a BOI employee and have worked in customer service. What the OP has posted here is enough to show why she hasn't received much help from anyone she's contacted.

Awful customers will get awful customer service.
    Literally just ignoring posts that aren't to their liking, its laughable. Thanking everyone who agrees with her side, it's hilarious to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

dudara wrote: »

There are quite a few layers and complexities to work through and it may take time. They have 15 days to respond to you, unless it’s so lengthy that they will require 35 days. You are covered by EU law and you will not be out of pocket.

I'm sure its complex to sort through what happened in a case like this but sorry up to 35 days is laughably unacceptable. You say the customer won't be out of pocket, but what if this was a transfer for something like a deposit on a new house? With demand usually way beyond supply for new developments they normally have big cancellation lists and if you can't transfer the deposit for up to 7 weeks they'll just give the house to someone on the list who can. How are the bank going to make you whole in a case like that? There's tons of other scenarios where the transfer is time sensitive and 15 - 35 days later the opportunity is gone, 100 quid good will money from the bank isn't really going to make up for that.

• Advertisement

KingCong wrote:
    I'm sure its complex to sort through what happened in a case like this but sorry up to 35 days is laughably unacceptable. You say the customer won't be out of pocket, but what if this was a transfer for something like a deposit on a new house? With demand usually way beyond supply for new developments they normally have big cancellation lists and if you can't transfer the deposit for up to 7 weeks they'll just give the house to someone on the list who can. How are the bank going to make you whole in a case like that? There's tons of other scenarios where the transfer is time sensitive and 15 - 35 days later the opportunity is gone, 100 quid good will money from the bank isn't really going to make up for that.

The complaint was only filed on the 11th February. The process only started 4 days ago. It is not know if BOI made a mistake or TSB.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The complaint was only filed on the 11th February. The process only started 4 days ago. It is not know if BOI made a mistake or TSB.

My post wasn't about this specific case, but how BOI ( maybe the other banks too) can think up to 35 days is acceptable to resolve a problem like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Why should a customer be expected to be au fait with complaint proceedure? BOI should immediately credit the OP with her money once she`s informed her local branch. BOI should then sort out the mess that either they or TSB are responsible for amongst themselves. OP should also be compensated by whoever is responsible for the hassle she`s been through. 2.5k is a lot of money. I can`t believe some of the crap people are spewing about this. Nobody should be out of pocket for a day never mind 15 for a mess up they had no act or part in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Mistakes can happen. It is unfortunate but patience is required. It is quite obvious that Boi would not write to guarantee that they are going to hand over 2500 quid without knowing what has happened.

It`s not the OPs mistake though and that`s the point. BOI should have refunded her immediately and dealt with it retrospectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Cannot believe the backlash the op is getting. Either bank could be at fault but up to 35 days to resolve it...layers/complexities....get everyone into a room and get a plan together...and communicate it to the customer. Customer has been onto you for weeks now by various means and BOI hiding behind official complaints procedure date of a few days ago... terrible customer service imo.

If it was 100 euro it would be unacceptable never mind 2500. If it's was 100000 would ye all be so patient to wait up to 15-35 days for a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

RossieMan wrote: »
    I've worked in the banking sector and have experience with transfers. In not a BOI employee and have worked in customer service. What the OP has posted here is enough to show why she hasn't received much help from anyone she's contacted.

Awful customers will get awful customer service.
    Literally just ignoring posts that aren't to their liking, its laughable. Thanking everyone who agrees with her side, it's hilarious to read.

And the attitude you have towards customers stinks the bank has been awful and caused this customer to become irate not the other way around all customers should be treated with respect.

The banks are the new churches in Ireland dare not criticize or question and those dealing with complaints arrogant and dismissive.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

amcalester wrote: »
    Did you check that you’ve set up the TSB account number correctly?
    Yes, its set up as a payee on BOI online banking, so is correct.  Have transferred to it successfully before.  

Have you checked the iban on this - someone could have changed the iban and left the payee name the same. 

To be fair, if the bank lost €2,500 of my money I would be screaming down the phone to them at this stage.

That is a large amount of money to 90% of people

carq wrote: »
    amcalester wrote: »
    Did you check that you’ve set up the TSB account number correctly?
    Yes, its set up as a payee on BOI online banking, so is correct.  Have transferred to it successfully before.  

Have you checked the iban on this - someone could have changed the iban and left the payee name the same. 
    Everything has been checked a million times. All correct and accurate details on my part.  What's worrying is that I was transferring to my own TSB current account, so I was able to check if it had reached its destination bank account.  if I was transferring to a 3rd party I would not be able to check that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

rosiem wrote:
    And the attitude you have towards customers stinks the bank has been awful and caused this customer to become irate not the other way around all customers should be treated with respect.

I'm sure they were. I'd say this has been massively overhyped here by the OP looking for a reaction.

You've no idea what has been said or done, we're only getting the information the OP wants us to have. It's like looking at the news on Facebook, not everything is always what it seems.

Hopefully this gets sorted in a positive way and the OP actually let's us know what the problem was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Cannot believe the backlash the op is getting. Either bank could be at fault but up to 35 days to resolve it...layers/complexities....get everyone into a room and get a plan together...and communicate it to the customer. Customer has been onto you for weeks now by various means and BOI hiding behind official complaints procedure date of a few days ago... terrible customer service imo.

If it was 100 euro it would be unacceptable never mind 2500. If it's was 100000 would ye all be so patient to wait up to 15-35 days for a response?

Patient to wait? The OP HAS to wait. Boi is a business and has procedures. OP cant skip the queue

RossieMan wrote: »
    Originally posted by rosiem

I'm sure they were. I'd say this has been massively overhyped here by the OP looking for a reaction.

You've no idea what has been said or done, we're only getting the information the OP wants us to have. It's like looking at the news on Facebook, not everything is always what it seems.

Hopefully this gets sorted in a positive way and the OP actually let's us know what the problem was.
    They don`t let you know what the problem was. This happened to me several years ago with ACC. It was several thousand euros. It took the best part of a month for the money to return to my account. The explanation I got was that basically it`s out there somewhere and it`ll come back in a while. It took over a month. Customers shouldn`t be expected to up to date with complaint procedures and behind the scenes work jargon. The branch manager should be dealing with this for the OP and her money should have been returned straight away. This should be standard procedure if a staff member can access your account but is unable to tell you where your money is. There should be some kind of legislation to deal with this sort of issue that makes the source bank (in this case BOI) immediately responsible for the customers loss. Then BOI and TSB should then sort out what is their mess amongst themselves. If some of the contributors to this discussion who have spoken negatively about the OP are bank staff, well then it is just indicative of how far standards are falling. A lot of people need to get the finger out. Ordinary customers don`t care about behind the scenes bank procedure when bills are waiting to be paid.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks Call_me_Al
    He would stop BOI from stonewalling me.  The fact that this happened to me, means it has the potential to happen to any BOI customer.  It would raise awareness of the risk.

He wouldn't. I used to work in a bank and it was almost a daily occurrence that people would come in and threaten to call Joe Duffy if things didn't go their way. Particularly during the recession. I used to tell them to work away. Honestly, a call to Joe Duffy isn't going to make BOI go "Oh no! Let's ignore all our internal procedures and just hand over €2500 or else Joe Duffy is going to say more bad things about us on the radio!"

I've dealt with a couple of cases similar to this where money didn't reach it's destination, and much as I would have loved to hand the customers back the amount in question, I couldn't. And for the same reasons that BOI can't just refund you now. They have to try and trace the money themselves first of all, they need to establish if it did indeed leave BOI, and if so, the fault is with TSB. If the fault is with TSB, they need to investigate from their end.

Believe me, I understand how frustrating and upsetting it is, if it was me I'd be climbing the walls. If you're going to be short of funds, BOI should be able to help you with a temporary overdraft to tide you over.

When you say they're not communicating with you, how often have then been in contact and how often are you ringing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

I can't believe in this day and age of banking technology that BOI have to take a couple of days to investigate the transaction. I'm an application/web developer and I can only assume that the BOI technology is very outdated if they cannot immediately trace the money. It's also part of the reason why they don't have Android/Apple/NFC payment for their customers as they don't have the technology in place for it and it's making me question whether I should remain a customer with BOI and in particular with the current issue that the OP is having. It's ridiculous!!

Toots wrote: »
    Thanks Call_me_Al
    He would stop BOI from stonewalling me.  The fact that this happened to me, means it has the potential to happen to any BOI customer.  It would raise awareness of the risk.

He wouldn't. I used to work in a bank and it was almost a daily occurrence that people would come in and threaten to call Joe Duffy if things didn't go their way. Particularly during the recession. I used to tell them to work away. Honestly, a call to Joe Duffy isn't going to make BOI go "Oh no! Let's ignore all our internal procedures and just hand over €2500 or else Joe Duffy is going to say more bad things about us on the radio!"

I've dealt with a couple of cases similar to this where money didn't reach it's destination, and much as I would have loved to hand the customers back the amount in question, I couldn't. And for the same reasons that BOI can't just refund you now. They have to try and trace the money themselves first of all, they need to establish if it did indeed leave BOI, and if so, the fault is with TSB. If the fault is with TSB, they need to investigate from their end.

Believe me, I understand how frustrating and upsetting it is, if it was me I'd be climbing the walls. If you're going to be short of funds, BOI should be able to help you with a temporary overdraft to tide you over.

When you say they're not communicating with you, how often have then been in contact and how often are you ringing them?
    You`re completely missing the point. The customer has done nothing wrong. It`s the bank that should be down 2.5 K here until it`s sorted , not the customer. You`re just another slave to procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

bada_bing wrote: »
    I can't believe in this day and age of banking technology that BOI have to take a couple of days to investigate the transaction. I'm an application/web developer and I can only assume that the BOI technology is very outdated if they cannot immediately trace the money. It's also part of the reason why they don't have Android/Apple/NFC payment for their customers as they don't have the technology in place for it and it's making me question whether I should remain a customer with BOI and in particular with the current issue that the OP is having. It's ridiculous!!
    I imagine the actual time spent investigating is very small, the time spent in queues is normally the source of these delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Scariest thing about this is how long it is taking to find it. If it was actual money you could understand but this should have some kind of digital footprint. You would imagine it would be a lot easier to track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

tibruit wrote: »
    You`re completely missing the point. The customer has done nothing wrong. It`s the bank that should be down 2.5 K here until it`s sorted , not the customer. You`re just another slave to procedure.

No it's you who's missing the point, there's procedures which have to be followed unfortunately. Its a bank which deals with billions upon Billions of euro.

You do know there regularly audited and hit with heavy fines if they break standard operating procedure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

This actually makes me concerned to transfer amounts from my BOI, which Ive done in the past, Ive also had to deal with BOI customer services in Kilkenny and you actually dont get anywhere until you get annoyed unfortunately, and you will because they can be infuriating, you can be civil and patient but eventually you have to lay down the law and complain and only then do things progress.
    I had to follow up with them numerous times and repeat the entire situation each time and they not do anything except tell me they were forwarding it on, saying they will call you back or email you and then never following up with me, took me 2 months to set up a new account type with them although Im an existing customer for decades and they said it would be done initially in 5 days, transferred a good bit of money into the account and no sign of it or the account, I was reassured that I actually had an account number and they told me the money was in that account, but also, they never followed with me when they hit problems initially, it took me wondering what was going on to find out a problem even existed. In many of the cases with the customer helpline, they seemed to be gatekeepers and not having any ability to do anything, I eventually got through to another level of customer services only after I threatened to go to the financial regulator and it was sorted within 5 days.
    I have sympathy for the OP, and people ask me (individuals and institutions. the latter of which look on you suspiciously if you turn up with a wodge of case), even in the Credit union why I take cash out and then lodge it? when I could set up a DD or such, well part being I do it when I have money spare so dont want it coming out all the time, part because of concerns problems like this and because I know there are no layers in between, where it can go astray, lately Ive been doing transfers online, its quicker/easier for me, but if there are problems then Ive no choice to revert back to my former method.
    Im even a bit concerned with security with BOI, I used to have a card reader with Ulster Bank when I had an account with them which I think is good for doing transactions too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement