Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOST €2,500 from my BOI account!!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

GrumPy wrote: »
    If you can post about a problem on a public internet forum 40+ times in less than 48 hours, you have time to goto a bank... (Again, assuming OP is living in Ireland)

How have you come to that presumption? People are allowed to have their phones in work but it doesn’t mean a person can get to a bank as it may not be close to where they work amongst other reasons.

OP has being trying to contact via email and phone which this day and age should be more than enough as all the information is already there that is needed to deal with the issue.

Pause your life and take time to waltz into a bank because of their incompetence. Feck that. Awful Bank from my experience.
    'People are allowed to have their phones in work' Really? Seems like a blanket statement to me.. I've based my reasoning on visiting a bank during lunch etc. and on the fact OP seems to have an awful lot of time on her hands. LIke I mentioned, I hope it gets sorted, and I wouldn't wish to be down that kind of money on anyone. I sincerely hope the issue is identified, but more importantly for the sake of the posters on this thread, shared.  

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Panrich

Op have you written officially to BOI on this? It must be at a point where you need to move to the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

RossieMan wrote: »
    Originally posted by Ally Dick
    There is no onus on BOI to validate that the details of the destination bank are correct. That's up to the customer. BOI always double check the details if the destination is also BOI. But they are powerless, if it is not BOI. This transaction is in computer rejections in PTSB I reckon

Haven't you read the thread? It's all BOIs fault. /close thread.
    No one has said that on this thread making up lies adds nothing to this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

rosiem wrote:
    It is a waste of time if they will just send you away they wont deal with you in branch so no point. Again the onus is on the customer to do all the work.

Your posts haven't been helpful at all in this thread. All you're trying to do is bash on the bank for removing services. Get with the times. I haven't had need for a bank in years. It's about time people adapted to change. It's not that scary.

Some posters here are away in the clouds altogether. Some great advice had already been given by multiple posters. PTSB wouldn't have been able to help the OP because they probably have no transaction information to give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

rosiem wrote: »
    It is a waste of time if they will just send you away they wont deal with you in branch so no point. Again the onus is on the customer to do all the work.
    Any time I have any sort of unusual query the people at the counter are always happy to help. They only ask you to go to the self service machines for things you can do yourself. This you cannot do yourself.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by rosiem

Your posts haven't been helpful at all in this thread. All you're trying to do is bash on the bank for removing services. Get with the times. I haven't had need for a bank in years. It's about time people adapted to change. It's not that scary.

Some posters here are away in the clouds altogether. Some great advice had already been given by multiple posters. PTSB wouldn't have been able to help the OP because they probably have no transaction information to give them.
    I posted once about removal of services only when it was brought up you so how can that be all I have done. No one is discussing adapting to change and your advice to not to be scared is welcome but not needed thank you.

The discussion is about a missing 2,500 and how people are telling the OP to be patient give the poor bank time when the reality is most people don't have time when it comes to bills food etc and the bank would not accord them the same patience when it comes to a late payment to them for any reason.

PTSB have communicated what they can with OP BOI have that given any level  of customer satisfaction which in turn leads to the frustration and the need to vent on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This thread is ridiculous.

Everyone knows that the bank has procedures they have to follow, but the basic facts of the case are that BOI can see money leaving the OP's account but they have no idea where its gone, they cannot prove it got to TSB, in fact they cant prove anything.

Doesnt matter if the OP got the account or IBAN or whatever wrong, BOI should be able to tell where the money is.

So, in absence of BOI having access to any sort of audit, the onus is on them to refund the 2500 until such time as they can find where they sent it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

GreeBo wrote:
    Everyone knows that the bank has procedures they have to follow, but the basic facts of the case are that BOI can see money leaving the OP's account but they have no idea where its gone, they cannot prove it got to TSB, in fact they cant prove anything.

Who is this according to? One sided story. You can be sure the bank know it's got to PTSB, but are probably having trouble getting them to locate where it went after they received it, which is why it's taking so long.

TheChizler wrote: »
    rosiem wrote: »
    Any time I have any sort of unusual query the people at the counter are always happy to help. They only ask you to go to the self service machines for things you can do yourself. This you cannot do yourself.
    For Online issues they will always refer you to banking 365 in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Toots wrote: »
    tibruit wrote: »
    You`re completely missing the point. The customer has done nothing wrong. It`s the bank that should be down 2.5 K here until it`s sorted , not the customer. You`re just another slave to procedure.

No I'm not. The bank have to establish the money didn't reach it's destination. At the moment they only have the customer's word that it didn't. They're not going to just hand over 2.5k based on that. For all they know the transfer was successful and the customer is pulling a fast one (stranger things have happened). Or if it made it to TSB and is floating around in some suspense account there, then BOI aren't going to refund the money because the error isn't on their side, it would be up to TSB to sort that out.
    You just keep trotting out the procedure that you`re a slave to. They`d love you in Kilkenny if you`re not already there. If BOI technology can`t immediately establish where this money has gone, the customer should be immediately reimbursed. Update your software and stop messing people around. Deal with it retrospectively, even if in the end the customer made the mistake although this clearly not the case in this instance. I`ve been through this with ACC in the past.Went to the branch a number of times and was told that the money will come back....it takes a bit of time. I argued that if you know it`s coming back why don`t you put you just put it back in my account?  The reply?.....standard operating procedure blah blah blah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

tibruit wrote: »
    Well isn`t standard operating procedure just great....and meanwhile the customer is down 2.5 k for over 2 weeks now. You shouldn`t be coming on here on the one hand defending how your employer does it`s business and on the other sympathising with your client who has done nothing wrong. Your technology has failed you and your customer. But we`re not all in this together. The party that messed up is suffering no loss. You need to do some agitating with your superiors about your procedures instead of coming on here and complaining about agitated customers calling RTE.

Don't work in the bank, work in IT and know how procedures work. The bank has procedures to follow and this is why your money and my money is safe in the hands of banks and their system. If you don't have the IQ to realize the number of transactions banks have to deal with and other investigations ongoing then there is no point talking to you. They cannot just give the OP 2500, yes it is a pain waiting that long but has to be done. This could be sitting in their queue along with a lot of other things to investigate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Toots wrote: »
    No I'm not. The bank have to establish the money didn't reach it's destination. At the moment they only have the customer's word that it didn't. They're not going to just hand over 2.5k based on that. For all they know the transfer was successful and the customer is pulling a fast one (stranger things have happened). Or if it made it to TSB and is floating around in some suspense account there, then BOI aren't going to refund the money because the error isn't on their side, it would be up to TSB to sort that out.

You sure about that? Only the customers word? Surely there’s some electronic acknowledgement from receiving bank.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Originally posted by GreeBo

Who is this according to? One sided story. You can be sure the bank know it's got to PTSB, but are probably having trouble getting them to locate where it went after they received it, which is why it's taking so long.
    If BOI know that it has gone to PTSB then why isnt the OP told this and why hasn't PTSB been given this evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

macnug wrote: »
    Scariest thing about this is how long it is taking to find it. If it was actual money you could understand but this should have some kind of digital footprint. You would imagine it would be a lot easier to track.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    I imagine the actual time spent investigating is very small, the time spent in queues is normally the source of these delays.

I've worked in regulated industry where I've had to trace back product back through every step of the manufacturing process and component supply chain either for QA or audit purposes and in a properly designed system it should be straightforward to pull transaction records from a database or log.

The actual work involved could be measured in minutes. If the traceback involved systems on other sites or suppliers then a service request would have to be opened with them to request the required information. The waiting time on the service request could be days as they were dealt with in a priority queue.

Often responsibility is divided so one person does not have access to the full system as a security measure meaning anything but simple requests often meant dealing with multiple people / sites / suppliers with a delay at each step in each service request queue.

While it can understandably take some time to fully resolve an issue the minimum that should be expected is that the customer is properly informed on how the issue will be resolved, kept up to date on the progress and offered some mitigation until the issue is resolved e.g. in this case a cost free overdraft for the amount in suspense somewhere in the banking system.

A response amounting to little more than arra sure it will probably sort itself out and turn up back in your account in the next month or so falls far short of acceptable customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

upinsmoke wrote: »
    Don't work in the bank, work in IT and know how procedures work.

Do you? If so why isn’t a payment marked as pending until a receipt is received from the receiving bank.
    The bank has procedures to follow and this is why your money and my money is safe in the hands of banks and their system. If you don't have the IQ to realize the number of transactions banks have to deal with and other investigations ongoing then there is no point talking to you.

Surely it’s the number of failed transactions that matters which would be low.
    They cannot just give the OP 2500, yes it is a pain waiting that long but has to be done. This could be sitting in their queue along with a lot of other things to investigate

If there’s many of these going on they need to fix the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Originally posted by emo72
    lots of boards people must be uber rich not to be too bothered about 2500 disappearing into the ether. id have a conniption by now.

What's to worry about? It's enshrined in EU law that op will be reimbursed by the offending bank, BOI or TSB.
    and while they cant afford to eat or pay rent what then, an IOU to Tescos?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

This thread has gone down the plughole here, I'm closing it. If OP or reps have any pertinent updates to add in the future, please PM me to re-open at that stage.

If anyone else wants to discuss general banking practices, you can do so in the Banking forum: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=544

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Carol-Anne

We’re happy to hear this has been successfully resolved for you.

Thanks for taking the time to post here and also to all the Boards community that offered advice.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend J

Alison

[font=Arial","sans-serif] [/font]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement