Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOST €2,500 from my BOI account!!

Options
  • 13-02-2019 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,
    [snipped]  I scheduled a transfer of €2,500 on 1st February 2019 from my BOI account to my TSB account via Bank of Ireland online banking website.  I got back a confirmation saying transaction successful.  However the €2,500 never transferred to my TSB account.  This is due to a failure of the Bank of Ireland online banking website.  Bank of Ireland have not refunded the €2,500 to my bank account and are refusing to give any commitment in regards to the refund of it.
    Today is now the 13th February 2019 and BOI are still unaware of the whereabouts of the €2,500 that they transferred out of my bank account with a failed transaction which did not meet its destination.
    The service from Bank of Ireland has been completely unprofessional.  The team leader in BOI 365 contact centre, in BOI Kilkenny, hung up the phone on me, when I asked for a time line in which the matter would be resolved.  Customer Complaints rang me today to say that they had no update and gave no guarantee that BOI would return the €2,500 to me that the BOI online banking website has mislaid.  I never thought that such a fiasco could happen.  Literally senior managers in BOI are scratching their heads in bewilderment because they do not know where the BOI website has put my €2,500 to.  I have transferred money to the same TSB account successfully on previous occassions.  The situation is so stressful for me.  The unprofessional attitude and lack of empathy from BOI staff just makes the matter worse.  [snipped]  After 13 days my €2,500 is nowhere to be found and BOI will have not refunded me for the failure of the transaction on their online banking website. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Have BOI flat out refused to refund you or is the issue still under investigation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would advise you to remove the people's names from your post.

How do you know BofI lost it and not PTSB?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Carol Anne BOI customer

Have BOI flat out refused to refund you or is the issue still under investigation?
    They say that they are investigating it, but have not given commitment to return the money after 13 days now.  The manager in BOI Contact Centre in Tallagh said that as far as BOI was concerned the transaction is successful because the €2,500 left my BOI account.  I told him that that is ridiculous, a transaction is only successful if it reaches its destination bank account, hence it was a failed transaction caused by BOI online banking.  [snipped]

I would advise that you remove peoples names from both of your posts...

This is a public forum......

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Mistakes happen. They have to investigate as it could be an issue sue with tsb, from my experience in my job it will either be in a boi suspense account or a tsb one. I know it's frustrating waiting as it's a large sum to you but it will get sorted.

Doesn't mean that the system is broken. No need to scaremonger, the system did its job, its just stuck somewhere. Have you also double checked the bic and IBAN are correct? I know you say you transferred before, is it set up to remember details?

Also have you contacted tsb? You have proof it left boi, tsb should also be able to investigate the file it was sent through to confirm if it was received, returned, rejected?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I’ll be honest. You sound like a very difficult person to have to deal based on your post. You are making some very serious accusations here and you have no idea what has happened and who is to blame. It may have nothing to do with BOI.

It could be the other bank. You could have been scammed. BOI are right not to say they’ll put it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Did you check that you’ve set up the TSB account number correctly?

frogstar wrote: »
    Mistakes happen. They have to investigate as it could be an issue sue with tsb, from my experience in my job it will either be in a boi suspense account or a tsb one. I know it's frustrating waiting as it's a large sum to you but it will get sorted.

Doesn't mean that the system is broken. No need to scaremonger, the system did its job, its just stuck somewhere. Have you also double checked the bic and IBAN are correct? I know you say you transferred before, is it set up to remember details?

Also have you contacted tsb? You have prove it left boi, tsb should also be able to investigate the file it was sent through to confirm if it was received, returned, rejected?
    Its a Payee that I have setup in online banking, so have transferred to that account before successfully.  Have given TSB the proof of payment from BOI and they said that they have not received it.  They said that they have checked holding accounts, rejected accounts etc and they do not have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Conservatively, BOI 365 probably do 100,000 transactions a day.

If there's an error with 10 of those that's still a 0.001% error rate.

These things happen, and it sucks but it will get sorted out.

amcalester wrote: »
    Yes, Its a Payee that I have setup in online banking, so have transferred to that account before successfully.  Have given TSB the proof of payment from BOI and they said that they have not received it.  They said that they have checked holding accounts, rejected accounts etc and they do not have it.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I would advise you to remove the people's names from your post.

How do you know BofI lost it and not PTSB?

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Well I did the transaction on BOI online banking website and the transaction came back as transaction successful.  It should not have come back as transaction successful if the money was not transferred to the destination bank account.  So either way, BOI is at fault.[/font]

Conservatively, BOI 365 probably do 100,000 transactions a day.

If there's an error  with 10 of those that's still a 0.001% error rate.

These things happen, and it sucks but it will get sorted out.
    Thank you.  Hopefully it will get sorted.  Its been 13 days now, so has been extremely stressful.  Its made more stressful by BOI not communicating with me and the team leader who hung up the phone on me.  I mean €2,500 is a lot of money and it has caused me a lot of sleepless nights.  BOI have refused to give me any documentation in writing on the matter, even when I asked them to post out their process in regard to the matter.

Yes, its set up as a payee on BOI online banking, so is correct.  Have transferred to it successfully before.  

What was the money for and where did it come from?

Anything suspicious about it that maybe why BOI aren’t communicating with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I highly doubt a bank such as BOI 'lost' your money.

Have you even been talking with TSB?

You will get your money.. Delayed and annoying but not lost

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I’ll be honest. You sound like a very difficult person to have to deal based on your post. You are making some very serious accusations here and you have no idea what has happened and who is to blame. It may have nothing to do with   BOI.

It could be the other bank. You could have been scammed. BOI are right not to say they’ll put it back.
    Well I did the transaction on BOI online banking website and the transaction came back as transaction successful.  It should not have come back as transaction successful if the money was not transferred to the destination bank account.  So either way, BOI is at fault.  BOI have been very difficult to deal with.  They are not updating me on matters refusing to provide me with any documentation on the matter.  Even when I asked on the phone today for them to post out their process in regards to complaints procedures they refused.  And a team leader hanging up the phone when I asked for a timeline on when they would get back to me is very unprofessional.  BOI have been very difficult to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Well I did the transaction on BOI online banking website and the transaction came back as transaction successful.  It should not have come back as transaction successful if the money was not transferred to the destination bank account.  So either way, BOI is at fault.[/font]

Ah hang on now. Transaction successful came up because you had the sufficient funds in your account. It basically meant 'sent successfully' just like when i transfer to my aib account but it takes a day to show.

Yes its annoying but have a little more faith in your bank who has probably not let you down before. Im sure its just an error

I work in a call centre and would imagine the only reason they hung up on you is if you were aggressive or swearing (which by the tone and pace of your post.. Sounds likely)

Id say the scenario is actually that they are in the middle of finding out what happened and you are ringing them every few hours instead of waiting for the response? Id also imagine they gave you a rough timeframe for them to have an answer maybe a couple of working days.

Freaking out at the people on the other end of the phone will get you nowhere

What was the money for and where did it come from?

Anything suspicious about it that maybe why BOI aren’t communicating with you?
    No, they said they just can't track down the money.  Both banks said they don't have it.  It's just a transfer from my own BOI account to my own TSB account, so nothing suspicious

Ah hang on now. Transaction successful came up because you had the sufficient funds in your account. It basically meant 'sent successfully' just like when i transfer to my aib account but it takes a day to show.

Yes its annoying but have a little more faith in your bank who has probably not let you down before. Im sure its just an error

I work in a call centre and would imagine the only reason they hung up on you is if you were aggressive or swearing (which by the tone and pace of your post.. Sounds likely)

Id say the scenario is actually that they are in the middle of finding out what happened and you are ringing them every few hours instead of waiting for the response? Id also imagine they gave you a rough timeframe for them to have an answer maybe a couple of working days.

Freaking out at the people on the other end of the phone will get you nowhere
    No, I asked when they would get back to me.  Was polite in asking.   But she just kept saying she didn't know and hung up.  Her manager did apologise for her behaviour, but she never apologised.  She should have just explained the process, but kept saying she didn't know when they would get back to me.  I just wanted a timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

I would not use this computer for any further financial transactions just in case you have malware/viruses on it. Bring the computer to someone you trust to run some malware etc checking/cleaning.  I'm surprised this has not been mentioned here.

• Advertisement

Then write a letter to their complaints department, leave out all the histrionics, explain that you made the transfer and the money hasn’t arrived and you would like it investigated.

They should already have logged a complaint for you but better to send a letter in case they don’t.

There are time limits to how long banks can take to resolve complaints so this will apply some pressure.

Stay off the phones because, and I don’t mean to be insulting, you come across as difficult so it’s best to communicate in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Here you go OP, a step by step guide on how to get your issue resolved:

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/complaints-about-financial-services-providers/

BOI is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.

Then write a letter to their complaints department, leave out all the histrionics, explain that you made the transfer and the money hasn’t arrived and you would like it investigated.

They should already have logged a complaint for you but better to send a letter in case they don’t.

There are time limits to how long banks can take to resolve complaints so this will apply some pressure.

Stay off the phones because, and I don’t mean to be insulting, you come across as difficult so it’s best to communicate in writing.
    They say they have logged the complaint.  I have sent an email also and requested the complaint number or an acknowledgement.  Although I havn't received a written response.  I'm only getting really frustrated with them now, have been patient for 13 days, so I don't think that's difficult.
    I agree with you though, its best to communicate in writing.  Its just frustrating that they are not responding in writing. 

They say they have logged the complaint.  I have sent an email also and requested the complaint number or an acknowledgement.  Although I havn't received a written response.  I'm only getting really frustrated with them now, have been patient for 13 days, so I don't think that's difficult.
    I agree with you though, its best to communicate in writing.  Its just frustrating that they are not responding in writing. 

Fair enough 13 days is too long, you should have received written acknowledgment of the complaint within 5.

Read the CPCC link above and make sure BOI stick to the process, unfortunately you have to follow it through to the end before you can escalate to the ombudsman, and that can take 8 weeks.

Thanks a mill ProjectMoose, this is so helpful.  That's what I was looking for when I asked about timelines.  Looks like they have missed their obligation to acknowledge receipt of a complaint in writing in 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

bmm wrote: »
    I would not use this computer for any further financial transactions just in case you have malware/viruses on it. Bring the computer to someone you trust to run some malware etc checking/cleaning.  I'm surprised this has not been mentioned here.

But if the bank has confirmed it has gone to the bic and IBAN as requested, I doubt a virus is to blame (so unlikely it has been redirected fraudulently) . Customer and bank can verify this very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

In fairness OP has lost 2500 and is frustrated. It's not a small amount of money. I'd be pissed off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I know you reckon it's a saved IBAN from previous transactions but have you actually checked it?

Definitely not a computer virus.  But neither bank can track down the €2,500.  They said they have never seen it happen before.  They said if a transaction fails it will bounce back to the originating account by 10 days.  But is now 13 days and neither bank can track down the money.

Thanks Xcellor for understanding my frustration.  

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

How about making another transfer payment , say €5 and see if it transfer occurs correctly. 

They can acknowlege a complaint by email. It does not have to be on writing.  They have 20 working days for the date the compaint is logged to get back you but this can be extended. 

You need to be aware that investigations take time, particularly IT issues. 

You probably feel that nothing is bring done but I suspect there is a lot happening in the background. This is a serious issue. The bank must have complete faith in their systems.  

Writing on an open forum like this is not really not way to go. 

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement