Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LOST €2,500 from my BOI account!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Toots wrote: »
    He wouldn't. I used to work in a bank and it was almost a daily occurrence that people would come in and threaten to call Joe Duffy if things didn't go their way. Particularly during the recession. I used to tell them to work away. Honestly, a call to Joe Duffy isn't going to make BOI go "Oh no! Let's ignore all our internal procedures and just hand over €2500 or else Joe Duffy is going to say more bad things about us on the radio!"

I've dealt with a couple of cases similar to this where money didn't reach it's destination, and much as I would have loved to hand the customers back the amount in question, I couldn't. And for the same reasons that BOI can't just refund you now. They have to try and trace the money themselves first of all, they need to establish if it did indeed leave BOI, and if so, the fault is with TSB. If the fault is with TSB, they need to investigate from their end.

Believe me, I understand how frustrating and upsetting it is, if it was me I'd be climbing the walls. If you're going to be short of funds, BOI should be able to help you with a temporary overdraft to tide you over.

When you say they're not communicating with you, how often have then been in contact and how often are you ringing them?

Hah, I work for the medical card unit and we get the same. Its hilarious. 'oh I think I am going to have to talk to Joe Duffy'

Work away that literally will not make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

upinsmoke wrote: »
    tibruit wrote: »
    You`re completely missing the point. The customer has done nothing wrong. It`s the bank that should be down 2.5 K here until it`s sorted , not the customer. You`re just another slave to procedure.

No it's you who's missing the point, there's procedures which have to be followed unfortunately. Its a bank which deals with billions upon Billions of euro.

You do know there regularly audited and hit with heavy fines if they break standard operating procedure
    Well isn`t standard operating procedure just great....and meanwhile the customer is down 2.5 k for over 2 weeks now. You shouldn`t be coming on here on the one hand defending how your employer does it`s business and on the other sympathising with your client who has done nothing wrong. Your technology has failed you and your customer. But we`re not all in this together. The party that messed up is suffering no loss. You need to do some agitating with your superiors about your procedures instead of coming on here and complaining about agitated customers calling RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

This has become a Trainwreck. We've no idea who is at fault. It could very easily be the OP who's sent the payment with wrong information. We've literally no idea whose at fault.

It's ridiculous it's taken this long to sort out, OP should have went to a branch and it would have been found in minutes.

It's the "customer is always right" mentality that's causing such issues. I assume none of the posters have ever dealt in the financial sector, never mind customer service. People lie all the time. ( Not suggesting the OP is lying) but the bank have to rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

RossieMan wrote: »
    This has become a Trainwreck. We've no idea who is at fault. It could very easily be the OP who's sent the payment with wrong information. We've literally no idea whose at fault.

It's ridiculous it's taken this long to sort out, OP should have went to a branch and it would have been found in minutes.

It's the "customer is always right" mentality that's causing such issues. I assume none of the posters have ever dealt in the financial sector, never mind customer service. People lie all the time. ( Not suggesting the OP is lying) but the bank have to rule it out.

It is more he bank is above reproach mentality with people jumping in to defend the big institution over the customer that is causing issues in my opinion.

Sorry, didn't realise you had all the details of the case. I must be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Wouldnt either bank be able to tell the customer either that IBAN doesn't exist, or that IBAN is not yours? again shouldn't take 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Carol Anne BOI customer

The bank did comfirm that my payment details etc were correct.  They have confirmed that it is no fault or error on my side.  I had sent a payment to the same account last month which worked successfully.  I have the account set up as a Payee on BOI online.  BOI said there is no error with what I did regarding the transaction.  However they don't know where BOI online sent the money to, couldn't track it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

OP (Original Poster), you've posted on this 41 times now, and set up your boards account exclusively to flag this with the bank. 

I'm curious, how many phone calls have you had with BOI at this point? How many visits to your local branch (assuming you have a local branch and work in Ireland) have you made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

People are gas.

OP, I empathise with you, its a massive pain in the arse for you and I can fully understand why you are so browned off but to play devils advocate, the bank HAS to do their full due diligence  on things like this. They cannot simply say ah ya, theres €2500, no bother. They have to find out where the money has gone to because for all intents and purposes the OP could be trying to scam them. They are dealing with tens of thousands of transactions on a daily basis so it can be like a needle in a hay stack. And before anyone asks, I work in insurance so know full well how the internal investigations in a financial lines business work.

I've no doubt you will get your money back OP and hopefully sooner rather than later.

Sorry, didn't realise you had all the details of the case. I must be wrong.

No I don’t I am merely stating they people are defending the bank without all the details OP is down 2,500 and has to be patient would the bank be if they were missing a 2,500 payment from OP I think not but people keep on berating the customer it is baffling

• Advertisement

The bank did comfirm that my payment details etc were correct. They have confirmed that it is no fault or error on my side. I had sent a payment to the same account last month which worked successfully. I have the account set up as a Payee on BOI online. BOI said there is no error with what I did regarding the transaction. However they don't know where BOI online sent the money to, couldn't track it down.

This payment would get added into a batch and sent over to PTSB at the EOD, or the middle of the day depending on the time you did the transfer.

They, for obvious reasons, can't see where the transfer went because it's a different bank.
    They should be able to provide you with the transfer(batch) number for the transfer and PTSB should be able to trace where the payment had gone or if they rejected it and sent it back to BOI.

It's pretty simple.
    Posting on a forum isn't going to get you Answers though, as this team can't even get access to your account information as they have no bank account number or anything. Go to your local branch, it'll be fixed by the end of today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The bank can check within seconds whether 2500 left the OPs account and to what account it was sent to - so I think we can rule out that the OP is trying to scam them

GrumPy wrote: »
    OP (Original Poster), you've posted on this 41 times now, and set up your boards account exclusively to flag this with the bank. 

I'm curious, how many phone calls have you had with BOI at this point? How many visits to your local branch (assuming you have a local branch and work in Ireland) have you made?

Yet you are not curious how the bank mislaid 2,500 and see no issue on that side straight in to question the customer why should OP have to keep chasing the bank they should be keeping them updated

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Probably no visits to a local branch if she works as she’d be down more money because of the time she’d have to take off work as the BOI open hours have no consideration at all for the working people. Their running of the bank is Stone Age stuff which runs throughout their company as we can see from how they deal with people to how they manage customers money.

Op I hope you get sorted soon. My only advice I’d give you is as soon as you do get sorted is take every single cent of your hard earned money out of your BOI accounts and close all accounts associated with BOI. Awful bank imo.

rosiem wrote: »

Yet you are not curious how the bank mislaid 2,500 and see no issue on that side straight in to question the customer why should OP have to keep chasing the bank they should be keeping them updated
    Technical issue is unfortunate, but posting on here isn't getting it fixed. I'd hate to be in OP's shoes, but I would have dealt with it quite a bit differently. Also, as another poster pointed out, we are getting one side of the story. We have no visibility to DM's, phone calls etc. from the bank. We are only getting OP's public forum posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Panrich

People are gas.

OP, I empathise with you, its a massive pain in the arse for you and I can fully understand why you are so browned off but to play devils advocate, the bank HAS to do their full due diligence  on things like this. They cannot simply say ah ya, theres €2500, no bother. They have to find out where the money has gone to because for all intents and purposes the OP could be trying to scam them. They are dealing with tens of thousands of transactions on a daily basis so it can be like a needle in a hay stack. And before anyone asks, I work in insurance so know full well how the internal investigations in a financial lines business work.

I've no doubt you will get your money back OP and hopefully sooner rather than later.

While that is correct it must be obvious to BOI that the error is on their side if they have confirmed that the customer has done nothing wrong.

It will be obvious from transaction logs and account balances that the customer had €2500 in their account and that this was transferred out via the app.

OP what is your account saying regarding the transaction?

I’d be asking what level of interest they are going to be paying for this unauthorised loan?

Probably no visits to a local branch if she works as she’d be down more money because of the time she’d have to take off work as the BOI open hours have no consideration at all for the working people. Their running of the bank is Stone Age stuff which runs throughout their company as we can see from how they deal with people to how they manage customers money.

Op I hope you get sorted soon. My only advice I’d give you is as soon as you do get sorted is take every single cent of your hard earned money out of your BOI accounts and close all accounts associated with BOI. Awful bank imo.
    If you can post about a problem on a public internet forum 40+ times in less than 48 hours, you have time to goto a bank... (Again, assuming OP is living in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Carol Anne BOI customer

The branch said that because it was an online transaction, that have to deal with the 365 call centre.  So have made many phone calls to them.  Have found them extremely unhelpful.  The last straw for me was when the team leader in the 365 call centre in Kilkenny hung up the phone on me when I asked her about timelines in regards to this.  She should have just been courteous to me and explained the complaints process.  I was very mannerly with her, considering the situation.  I will be closing my account with BOI after this is resolved.   

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

tibruit wrote: »
    You`re completely missing the point. The customer has done nothing wrong. It`s the bank that should be down 2.5 K here until it`s sorted , not the customer. You`re just another slave to procedure.

No I'm not. The bank have to establish the money didn't reach it's destination. At the moment they only have the customer's word that it didn't. They're not going to just hand over 2.5k based on that. For all they know the transfer was successful and the customer is pulling a fast one (stranger things have happened). Or if it made it to TSB and is floating around in some suspense account there, then BOI aren't going to refund the money because the error isn't on their side, it would be up to TSB to sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

This is the only thing people have taken issue with (and posting names of employees), nobody knows which bank is at fault here. It could as easily be BOI putting the wrong details into the transfer file or not sending them at all, as TSB matching the incoming file with the wrong account. TSB have said it's not them but we have no idea what kind of thorough check they've done. They might have searched for her details in all recent transactions, which would have been useless if they were mismatched somehow, or could simply be fobbing her off.

The ball is in BOI's court, they might find they made an error, or find definite proof that the correct details were provided to TSB. Either way it's pointless apportioning blame until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Another vote here for go to the bank.

Please dont tell me you haven't been yet OP?

That would be the first place id go to not boards. Ie

Probably have it sorted straight away

If you can post about a problem on a public internet forum 40+ times in less than 48 hours, you have time to goto a bank... (Again, assuming OP is living in Ireland)

The banks have done everything they can to not have customers in face to face this has happened to me numerous times you will  be either sent to a machine or asked to deal with 365 banking as is the OPs case they wont deal with you in branch so is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

How have you come to that presumption? People are allowed to have their phones in work but it doesn’t mean a person can get to a bank as it may not be close to where they work amongst other reasons.

OP has being trying to contact via email and phone which this day and age should be more than enough as all the information is already there that is needed to deal with the issue.

Pause your life and take time to waltz into a bank because of their incompetence. Feck that. Awful Bank from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

There is no onus on BOI to validate that the details of the destination bank are correct. That's up to the customer. BOI always double check the details if the destination is also BOI. But they are powerless, if it is not BOI. This transaction is in computer rejections in PTSB I reckon 

The banks have done everything they can to not have customers in face to face this has happened to me numerous times you will  be either sent to a machine or asked to deal with 365 banking as is the OPs case they wont deal with you in branch so is a waste of time.
    If I was down €2,500, I wouldn't consider any investigatory work a 'waste of time'.. Posting here 40+ times though? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

My understanding from OPs posts is that BOI have already validated that the details of the transaction were correct. PTSB have checked on their side already and the transaction never reached anywhere on their side. I believe the OP stated that PTSB have been very helpful with the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Panrich

Ally Dick wrote: »
    There is no onus on BOI to validate that the details of the destination bank are correct. That's up to the customer. BOI always double check the details if the destination is also BOI. But they are powerless, if it is not BOI. This transaction is in computer rejections in PTSB I reckon 

You’d hope that if there were faulty details on the transfer it would emerge at some point before two weeks had elapsed. It seems that the op has had confirmation that the details were in fact correct.

It could well be that ptsb are at fault but it’s hard for a customer to get to the bottom of this when both sides are just shrugging their shoulders and saying it’s not their fault.

Ally Dick wrote:

Haven't you read the thread? It's all BOIs fault. /close thread.

If I was down €2,500, I wouldn't consider any investigatory work a 'waste of time'.. Posting here 40+ times though? :confused:
    It is a waste of time if they will just send you away they wont deal with you in branch so no point. Again the onus is on the customer to do all the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

If a transaction can't find a home, it is returned to the originator
    ..so if that never happened, it's sitting in PTSB in a suspense account. For it to bounce back, the sort code of the destination bank has to be invalid. That's all that BOI can check

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement