Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario Maker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Hey, thought I'd post up my first SMM2 level, 'Vanilla Flats'.

I didn't do the hard path!

Mr E wrote: »
    Some celebrity levels to play... Matt Thorson (creator of Celeste) has made some SMM2 levels. They're supposed to be great.

They're difficult.. but not fun. I didn't make progress with any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Mr E wrote: »
    Some celebrity levels to play... Matt Thorson (creator of Celeste) has made some SMM2 levels. They're supposed to be great.

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1144809965774704640

Sy4mrtt.jpg?1

Tried the Desert level.....left disappointed. Celestio

Got this today as a present from my wife, quick question before I dive in (it will be tomorrow before I get a chance to play), do I need the online sub to play and share created levels?

Yes.

There is an edition with a €20 individual subscription included for €10 extra. Assuming that's not what your wife bought you, you'll need to buy a subscription.

If more than 1 person will be playing it just buy the family subscription. €35 a year for up to 4 people. Otherwise buy the individual subscription.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    My wife is going nuts about the fact she can't use a stylus with this. Tried an old 3DS Stylus and it won't work at all (but a finger will trigger the screen to react).

Am I missing something?

Yea. You don't need a stylus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Loving the story mode so far some great nostalgic levels. I personally didn't watch any of the promotional stuff so have no idea what was added but I'm guess these levels in story mode were created by celebrities and at the end they will reveal who they are. The levels are all created by sinister names.
    Maybe that's common knowledge but as I said I purposely stayed out of the loop.

The most annoying thing about story mode.. lose a couple of lives and damned luigi pops up on the screen.

Story mode is fine. I'd rather they just did 8 themed worlds with 10 levels each.

antix80 wrote: »
    The most annoying thing about story mode.. lose a couple of lives and damned luigi pops up on the screen.

Story mode is fine. I'd rather they just did 8 themed worlds with 10 levels each.
    that means you suck at mario lol. Sounds like your looking for a traditional mario game. The best thing about mario maker is using 100 lives to finish a really tough level and the excitement when you finally do it. Trust me go search the expert levels and commit yourself to one and tell me it wasn't awesome when you've finished it. Unless it was an annoying as fook level, in that case move on:pac:

iamtony wrote: »
    that means you suck at mario lol. Sounds like your looking for a traditional mario game. The best thing about mario maker is using 100 lives to finish a really tough level and the excitement when you finally do it. Trust me go search the expert levels and commit yourself to one and tell me it wasn't awesome when you've finished it. Unless it was an annoying as fook level, in that case move on:pac:

If you pick an expert level, do you really need crumby luigi to pop up after losing 2 lives and offering to "do the level for you"? Microsoft clipit level of annoyance!

As for story mode.. it's just not particularly polished imo, though i stayed up last night rebuilding the castle.

I know what you're saying about those maddening levels. In story mode i faced a few but the difficulty was typically 3/4. Ive done some online play and while i appreciate that some people get enjoyment out of insanely difficult levels, i much rather coherent, fun, clever level design as opposed to impossible jumps, through a narrow corridor of spikes surrounded by 500 giant winged firebreathing piranha plants

If you pick an expert level, do you really need crumby luigi to pop up after losing 2 lives and offering to "do the level for you"? Microsoft clipit level of annoyance!

As for story mode.. it's just not particularly polished imo, though i stayed up last night rebuilding the castle.

I know what you're saying about those maddening levels. In story mode i faced a few but the difficulty was typically 3/4. Ive done some online play and while i appreciate that some people get enjoyment out of insanely difficult levels, i much rather coherent, fun, clever level design as opposed to impossible jumps, through a narrow corridor of spikes surrounded by 500 giant winged firebreathing piranha plants
    No you don't but kids also play the game so I wouldn't let it bother me, it makes it more fun for them. Before you said it I honestly didn't think it was annoying in the slightest.
    These levels are user created so they are never going to be as polished. Saying that it also allows alot more creativity.
    The game is only a few days old and you will see plenty of gems crop it. Don't worry their will be levels for everyone taste.
    But honestly one of the best things about the game is finishing an impossible level. Even the boards user have created some masterpieces(Im lookin at you sligeach) and it's just great. When you create a level and others are telling you how great it is, it's a feeling you won't get from many other games.

Edit: P.S don't ever mention Luigi and crumby in the same Sentence again, he is a legend around here:)

• Advertisement

Heres an example of a tough level that was utterly satisfying to complete. Remember this sli? https://youtu.be/PMHpEq8PlRY

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Did you take the route to the on/off switch?

I can't remember but I certainly did take the easier route, I know that much.
    Done! Bit easy but good for the ego!

Usually, I don't want my levels to be difficult - I try to design them as more traditional. Although to be honest, in the original game, my levels were stupidly easy. Tried to improve the design of the original Ghost Paradise with this sequel but still not quite what I would like. Maybe I'll update it in future and or add a few easter eggs - you can already spot some routes I left out for this remake but were in the original. It was a bit tedious remaking it because I currently don't have access to my Wii U and had to go off of a YouTube video.

Are you Anthony? If so, I tried and completed all your current uploaded levels. Also gave them a like. Nothing too difficult though did lose a lot of lives in the process because I suck!

I uploaded a remake of the New Super Mario Bros DS World 1-4 level. I don't really know why I felt the need of creating a remake of such a generic level. Think that given it had a fair amount of sloping, it would be fun to see it in Super Mario Maker 2. Couldn't remake it entirely due to the limitations of the game but I think I did well. Don't have the ID with me right now but you can find it in my profile if you enter in the course ID I gave for Ghost Paradise.

Matt Thorson's levels.. i started playing them assuming they were designed for casual gamers and just assumed it was poorly designed by having too high difficulty. Ive just watched a video of someone clearing his level and admit that as an ultra-hard level that requires perfectly timed jumps he aced it.

I probably couldn't get past it if i spent all day at it. If someone told me it would only take me 5 or 6 hours.. i still wouldn't bother. Impossible jumps, spikes and repetition is boring to me. But it has a place, and a community, as do trolling and autoplay levels. They're just not for me.

Heres an example of a tough level that was utterly satisfying to complete. Remember this sli? https://youtu.be/PMHpEq8PlRY

I'll tell you what is a shame is that you can only screen record the previous 30 seconds. They should adjust it for this game at least to a level at a time. That would be great.

Matt Thorson's levels.. i started playing them assuming they were designed for casual gamers and just assumed it was poorly designed by having too high difficulty. Ive just watched a video of someone clearing his level and admit that as an ultra-hard level that requires perfectly timed jumps he aced it.

I probably couldn't get past it if i spent all day at it. If someone told me it would only take me 5 or 6 hours.. i still wouldn't bother. Impossible jumps, spikes and repetition is boring to me. But it has a place, and a community, as do trolling and autoplay levels. They're just not for me.
    ah yeah each to their own buddy. Hope you enjoy the game. I personally love a good challenge. I'm gonna get on those levels soon but as I said above it's a shame you can't capture the whole level to stick up here or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'll tell you what is a shame is that you can only screen record the previous 30 seconds. They should adjust it for this game at least to a level at a time. That would be great.

Would make my life much easier! Let's not forget my struggles of trying to record footage for my levels in the original game and the whole AverMedia disaster.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Would make my life much easier! Let's not forget my struggles of trying to record footage for my levels in the original game and the whole AverMedia disaster.

Ha ha I remember. I was just looking at me playing some of your levels on my channel.

My capture card has completely disappeared. I've looked everywhere. I suspect my teenager sold it to cex on the sly but I've no proof:mad:

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Are you Anthony? If so, I tried and completed all your current uploaded levels. Also gave them a like. Nothing too difficult though did lose a lot of lives in the process because I suck!

I uploaded a remake of the New Super Mario Bros DS World 1-4 level. I don't really know why I felt the need of creating a remake of such a generic level. Think that given it had a fair amount of sloping, it would be fun to see it in Super Mario Maker 2. Couldn't remake it entirely due to the limitations of the game but I think I did well. Don't have the ID with me right now but you can find it in my profile if you enter in the course ID I gave for Ghost Paradise.

Yea. I'm Anthony!

I'll check out your other levels tomorrow.

I'd fun making my levels and i guess it's Nintendo's algorithms or whatever but very few ppl played them! It doesn't help i gave them awful names and descriptions.
    I tried to keep the levels accessible.

The castle thwomp one worked out well imo

The one with the red coins had a trick of throwing a shell to collect a coin beside the chainsaw, as seen earlier in the level where the shell collected one of the 2 red coins. I regret leaving in a tricky jump for the 2nd coin and it's a boring level besides

"Priorities" has a troll element in the form of a key and secret room that doesn't need to be entered because all it has is a question block with a fireball+ even the 30coin can be collected with the shell from beside the goal. So it shouldn't be a "priority" to get the key and backtrack to the warp door.

"In the clouds" had a couple of difficult bits but nothing crazy

And "super anthony" was my first attempt at a level. The trick of that levels is it's easier to complete the first part of the level if you dont use any powerups. But the 2nd part, if you didnt collect the leaf you have to backtrack to get it to break the blocks (or use the p block, or a shell).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Have this reserved in Argos at the moment - decided whether to pull the trigger today.

Seems like a great game to dip in and out of - Is an online connection required to play other peoples creations? I usually play on public transport

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Seems like a great game to dip in and out of - Is an online connection required to play other peoples creations? I usually play on public transport

You need a Nintendo Switch Online membership. Aside from that, you don't need an internet connection because there is a download option. You could also tether the switch to your mobile phone to download a few new levels on-the-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

You need a Nintendo Switch Online membership. Aside from that, you don't need an internet connection because there is a download option. You could also tether the switch to your mobile phone to download a few new levels on-the-go.

That is what I wanted to hear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hey, thought I'd post up my first SMM2 level, 'Vanilla Flats'.

It's a fairly straight-forward platforming level but it does come with an optional, harder path. Any feedback is welcome.

Course ID: 95M-JG1-78G

First created course I played in the game and thought it was really good. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

First created course I played in the game and thought it was really good. Fair play.

Thanks for that.

I'm putting the finishing touches to my next level now. I'm aiming for it to be about medium difficulty.

My newest creation. Not a hard level but takes a bit of thought rather than relying on trial and error.
    9WQ BF9 QDF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just posted up my second level in SMM2, "Snow Laughing Matter".

It's a pure platforming level, no real gimmicks. Just a test of your jumping skills. I'd say it is about average difficulty. I'd appreciate some plays and any feedback is welcome.

Course ID: 3NB-C0B-2CG

https://twitter.com/The40Watt/status/1145993244129390592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

One of my favourite things from watching outside the original game was the back and forward battle between Giant Bomb's Dan Rykert and Patrick Klepek of Waypoint. Really loving the fact that they're back it.

https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/1145710396407504897

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Well the level in story mode where you can't jump is a proper pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Well the level in story mode where you can't jump is a proper pain in the arse.

That took me AGES, but very satisfying once its done! The story mode levels in this are fantastic, love how outside-the-box they are compared to regular Mario 2D games.

Even if you never touched the creation tools, this games has so much to offer.

Advertisement