Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario Maker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Well the level in story mode where you can't jump is a proper pain in the arse.

The one with the chomps? Yea most of story mode is fairly easy but there are a few levels that stand out and that's one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Hate that one with the chain chomps and no jumping. Was stuck on that one for quite a bit. I'm done story mode now anyway. Could have been better to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Did it last night, bit of a pain but got there in the end. Why would they restrict the ability to jump in a game about jumping. The amount of times I instinctivley pressed jump made me feel like an idiot. Its well put together though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

pasta-solo wrote: »
    That took me AGES, but very satisfying once its done! The story mode levels in this are fantastic, love how outside-the-box they are compared to regular Mario 2D games.

Even if you never touched the creation tools, this games has so much to offer.

I haven't even opened the level building mode yet and already feel like I've got my moneys worth in 2 days.

I haven't even opened the level building mode yet and already feel like I've got my moneys worth in 2 days.

I don't think those story mode levels would be worth the €50.

I know they wanted to keep the file size to a minimum and not detract from the course builder, but I really hated the interface of the story mode. Rubbish characters, practically all levels initiated by talking to the taskmaster, and no real story apart from a half-hearted line of text to introduce each stage.

It actually looks like they were going to use it as an overworld for the entire game much like what was done in Mario and Rabbid Rabbits.. even coursebot was buried there ready to be unlocked.
    I reckon builder tutorials would have been in the overworld too only for they couldn't gamify the builder element.

Compare it to the overworld in Mario and Rabbid Rabbits. It was gorgeous. Sadly it was very bare overworld once the enemies were cleared from it. I'd have even settled for a Super Mario World overworld in 3D.

At any rate, it seems like a missed opportunity. Or possibly they were afraid that by making a polished overworld it would be compared unfavourably to a feature Mario adventure.

• Advertisement

antix80 wrote: »
    I don't think those story mode levels would be worth the €50.

I know they wanted to keep the file size to a minimum and not detract from the course builder, but I really hated the interface of the story mode. Rubbish characters, practically all levels initiated by talking to the taskmaster, and no real story apart from a half-hearted line of text to introduce each stage.

It actually looks like they were going to use it as an overworld for the entire game much like what was done in Mario and Rabbid Rabbits.. even coursebot was buried there ready to be unlocked.
    I reckon builder tutorials would have been in the overworld too only for they couldn't gamify the builder element.

Compare it to the overworld in Mario and Rabbid Rabbits. It was gorgeous. Sadly it was very bare overworld once the enemies were cleared from it. I'd have even settled for a Super Mario World overworld in 3D.

At any rate, it seems like a missed opportunity. Or possibly they were afraid that by making a polished overworld it would be compared unfavourably to a feature Mario adventure.

I've played 15 levels in the story mode but have spent a lot of hours playing levels that others have built. The 20 second speed levels are amazing and I keep going back to break records.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Ryukahr posted his first SMM2 level. He said its Medium difficulty, looks like an absolute head melt though :D

Level code: 91C-MPM-7LF

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Medium my arse. :o

Clever boss battle though, must remember that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

'School of Mario'

I created a level earlier to try to teach my son how to play Mario. I think it turned out pretty well, so thought I'd upload it. Who knows, maybe you'll learn something too.

Course ID: MGC-FML-B3G

https://twitter.com/The40Watt/status/1146155184298446848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Previous courses:

Vanilla Flats - 95M-JG1-78G
    Snow Laughing Matter - 3NB-C0B-2CG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

But brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah just got the game last night, and thought that level was excellent. Frustrating to discover that they mean that your feet cannot stop being in contact with the ground (or something...), but very cleverly designed!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have to say I am loving it, my 5yo is loving making levels, little interest in playing others, his old man is loving playing online levels, like little mini challenges. My skill level has gone down hill quite a bit or levels are alot harder than my youth though but am still loving it.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Have to say I am loving it, my 5yo is loving making levels, little interest in playing others, his old man is loving playing online levels, like little mini challenges. My skill level has gone down hill quite a bit or levels are alot harder than my youth though but am still loving it.

Mandatory "git gud bro" comment.

But I'm in the same boat. My young fella loves just messing around putting random things into levels. He thinks the poison "bad guy" mushroom is hilarious, loves getting chased by it. Meanwhile I'm getting my ass handed to me with some levels needing near split-second inputs.

I'd never manage the stuff that ryukahr, CarlSagan42 and DGR manage.

You know, I never believed getting older made you worse at games. Until it happened to me. I think more to do with not having as much time to play? No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Uploaded my own level a few days ago

ID: 55X-QFN-99G

Feedback would be appreciated

Hard, very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mr E wrote: »
    Medium my arse. :o

Clever boss battle though, must remember that one.

Since I haven't tried this game yet, I was wondering why didn't he start from the checkpoints?

And I don't think I ever used spin jumps on spiky enemies in Super Mario World

• Registered Users Posts: 28,112 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mods would it be a good idea to have a separate level code thread? Make it very easy to work through everyone's.

Could even add a poll every now and then to vote for our favourites!

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Mods would it be a good idea to have a separate level code thread? Make it very easy to work through everyone's.

Could even add a poll every now and then to vote for our favourites!

Well we did have a thread of such for the original Mario Maker so why not.

Uploaded another level tonight, Up, Up & Away

Scale the castle and reach the top.

Course ID: DXL-N3S-H3G

https://twitter.com/The40Watt/status/1146884229441019904?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Previous courses:

Vanilla Flats - 95M-JG1-78G
    Snow Laughing Matter - 3NB-C0B-2CG
    School of Mario - MGC-FML-B3G

I'll be honest I didn't like it. There is a difference between being difficult and unfair. You have too many pipes leading to certain death, no player is going to find that fun.

I didn't beat it. I could see the flag but couldn't get to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

skerry wrote: »
    Ryukahr posted his first SMM2 level. He said its Medium difficulty, looks like an absolute head melt though :D

Level code: 91C-MPM-7LF

gas. I finished this level today, took a while but I had no idea he was a youtuber or you lot were talking about it. I did wonder why loads of people had commented on finishing it and the clear rate was only 0.38% obviously loads of people played it. I did actually capture me clearing the first section cause I thought it was cool and was gonna share with you lot but I then remembered I'm on my other halfs switch and it's not connected to my twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Since I haven't tried this game yet, I was wondering why didn't he start from the checkpoints?

It's only when your uploading your own level that you must be able to complete it in one go from the start to allow it to be uploaded.
    The spin jumps on baddies are needed in this game, it adds a whole new depth.

CastorTroy wrote: »

I don't remember that either, was it a thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, but never something that was necessary to get through a level. Think it's abused for difficulty sake in some Mario Maker levels.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Yeah, but never something that was necessary to get through a level. Think it's abused for difficulty sake in some Mario Maker levels.

I am so ashamed I never realised, or I forgot. I remember the speed test on the first level to the right when you started, me and mates would spend ages seeing who could speed run that level, it was brilliant. Would have made some levels alot easier if I had known. I

I didn't like the spin jump. I always thought it was dumb and didn't make sense,as if mario would take less damage by spinning while impaling himself on a spike. I think Nintendo were just trying to show off the extra buttons on the snes. Much prefer the ground pound.
    The spin jump doesn't have the benefit of the high bounce a normal jump has. But useful for breaking blocks below you. I think it's overused in mario maker as a way of making a level difficult by spin-jumping off every spike and enemy covering the entire floor. Definitely not my favourite levels if only for lack of imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Damn that bloody poison mushrooms

Okay so made a far far easier and chill level if anyone wants to play it

ID: LKR-G9W-Y5G

Goal of the level is to find 5 big 50 coins

• Advertisement

Didn't even see that thread. Brain is melted, oops

Advertisement