Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Offer - some strange T&Cs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

All of the T&Cs listed are normal in a lot of places.

They should not be dealbreakers if you think the job move is the right one for you.

Neither should €5K ( unless you are on minimum wage).

What is the reason you want to move job ?
    Is this a company you want to work for ?
    Is the work interesting ?
    Is there potential for career progression?
    Is the commute longer / shorter ?

If you have a clear idea of the questions above, you will be in a much stringer position to decide if this (or any job move ) is right for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

infidell wrote: »
    Yes, 21 plus BH.
    I have 23 plus BH at the moment, that's pretty standard from what I've seen.

20 is the min standard. Each company can vary from this, 23 is ok.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Could you tell your current employer about the offer and see if they would up your salary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Unless your career prospects are guaranteed to be a lot better, why are you moving for only 5K more and worse benefits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Don't reject the offer without asking for more first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Important to ask with a 45 minute lunch how far are you from lunch amenities.
    This. In HP Leixlip, Building 8 was about 10-15 minutes from the main canteen, if the mini-canteen doesn't have anything you want.
    klm1 wrote: »
    The prevailing thought here seems to be that it's not worth moving for 5k. If that's the case, at what point does it suddenly become worth moving? Companies won't normally boost someone by 10k in one go.
    Same hours, but with more money, and perhaps better work.

For example, I've gone from 20k L1 telephone support to over 30k L2 deskside support, and the work I do now is a lot more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

Im in an office as a marketing assistant and we all (incl management) get a 30 min break, 20 days holidays and no pension!

I wanna work in IT! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Worth bearing in mind as regards pensions that you only get to keep any company contributing once you have completed two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Try working 12 hour shifts with only a 30 minute break ahhh!! For a government body too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭KingCong

Worth bearing in mind as regards pensions that you only get to keep any company contributing once you have completed two years.

I could be wrong but I vaguely remember reading something about this not applying if you transfer over the pension from your old job to the new scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

1. 45 minute lunch break - I've never heard of anything other than an hour.

Massive red flag for a tech company.

Usually it's the opposite - no real limit on breaks, just get the work done.

Have you checked the company's reviews on Glassdoor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Massive red flag for a tech company.

Usually it's the opposite - no real limit on breaks, just get the work done.

Have you checked the company's reviews on Glassdoor?

I wouldn't think so for a tech company. I worked for a massive global tech company and while the perception was for a free and easy lifestyle because it was tech, it was very much a clock watching kinda place. Lunch was 30 mins, break was 15mins and that was that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I wouldn't think so for a tech company. I worked for a massive global tech company and while the perception was for a free and easy lifestyle because it was tech, it was very much a clock watching kinda place. Lunch was 30 mins, break was 15mins and that was that.

That's not normal though. (I'm in tech).

Although I'm biased as I'm in programming roles. I have no idea if other departments (marketing etc.) also have the same laid back attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

I would show your current employer the contract and ask them to match the 5k. I would not leave a company you seem happy enough with for a very small amount of money, given the industry you are in. I disagree with others and think one hour lunch and 23 days starting is normal. The company not contributing to pension until probation is finished is standard though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    That's not normal though. (I'm in tech).

Although I'm biased as I'm in programming roles. I have no idea if other departments (marketing etc.) also have the same laid back attitude.

I was in the accounts side of things and defo no real laid back attitude to time. Now it did depend on teams slightly but I know quite a few people who were called up on being 5 mins late back from lunch. Sales guys and programming tended to have a lot more leeway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

1. 45 minute lunch break - I've never heard of anything other than an hour.
    We get 30 minutes in an 8.5 hour day.

I
    2. 21 days annual leave - seems a bit low, I'd be loosing a couple of days.
    That's what I get too, plus bank holidays. Same as my woman.

3. The pension contribution only kicks in after the 6 month probation period has passed.
    One year for us! There's nothing to stop you contributing yourself though (as I do). I'm in my job 4 months btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

KingCong wrote:
    I could be wrong but I vaguely remember reading something about this not applying if you transfer over the pension from your old job to the new scheme.

You can do that but only your own contributions in the first two years will transfer. Employer contributions which should make the bulk only go after two years

Advertisement