Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2019 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hope everyone is staying in safe from this storm, getting pretty nasty here.. Nice as we really need a day of doing nought.. Still have a pile of christmas decorations to put away and get the house back to normal..

Little man is doing great sleeping like a dinger, and finally putting on weight.. We have to go to the hospital alright in a few weeks (as he percentiles dont match up with height and weight) but it is just precautions so not too worried. Going to change him up to the bigger car seat soon as we are doing a lot of travelling and noticed the same with out little one, he seems to be very caught up with wind after being in the small seat..

Got period no. 2 back today and well they arent painfull but so different to before. Very heavy just incase anyone else gets one and is frightened, mostly it is normal but forgot about it, so was a little ahh.Hopefully they wont last too long..

After all that, hope eveyone had a loverly Christmas and Happy New Year to all

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

Have the 3 month check soon I hope it was meant to be last week but they cancelled it, he will be almost 4 months at this rate, will they still do it? What should I expect?

God i nearly forgot about the checks, it has been so long well bar the vaccines,,, be prepared for the tummy time talk i would think... They normally just check weight gain, and how alert they are, following a finger etc and then ask about tummy time :) all time fav... Our little girl hated being on her tummy and would always cry but had to do it, to check her to use her head more etc but himself doesnt seem phased at all by it..

https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/child-health/your-childs-developmental-checks/3-months-check.html

just got our app today for the check up too

My baby was fine being on his tummy until he developed some sort of reflux a few weeks ago and he screams everytime I put him on his tummy since. Have the 3 month check next week so will mention it to the nurse then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Our small girl isn’t a big fan of tummy time, about 5 minutes max before she complains bitterly. Have to do it more with her though as I can see she’s developing a flat spot on the side of her head she favours to sleep.

I haven’t received any appointment yet but she’s only 11 weeks so it’ll probably be soon

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

We have been using the clevamama memory foam pillow for our girl, she has a flat spot on her head too, she hates tummy time but will happily use her arms to push herself around the place while on your chest, or she will put her legs under herself and push herself up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Our small girl isn’t a big fan of tummy time, about 5 minutes max before she complains bitterly. Have to do it more with her though as I can see she’s developing a flat spot on the side of her head she favours to sleep.

I haven’t received any appointment yet but she’s only 11 weeks so it’ll probably be soon

You can try some things like positioning the bouncer/cot the other way around to encourage her to look the other way, holding her on the opposite side more etc. That helps a lot with the flatness!

We have been using the clevamama memory foam pillow for our girl, she has a flat spot on her head too, she hates tummy time but will happily use her arms to push herself around the place while on your chest, or she will put her legs under herself and push herself up.

How have you been finding the pillow? If it helped I’d definitely invest.

jlm29 wrote: »
    You can try some things like positioning the bouncer/cot the other way around to encourage her to look the other way, holding her on the opposite side more etc. That helps a lot with the flatness!

Yeah that works while she’s in the bouncer but no matter how we position her or her crib/cot she turns her head to the same side all the time.

She’s a great sleeper which probably isn’t helping the flat spot

• Advertisement

Had the 3 month check with Public Health Nurse today. She has referred him onto physio for his flat head. I wonder will it do any good!

Glad to hear all is ok starlady! What will the physio for for the flat head then? I am sure it will start plumping out soon..

I must really get to work with our little fella ye all sound like yer little ones are doing mighty... To be honest we havent had a lot of free time lately to do a lot of tummy time or things we should be, but he is quite alert and happy out anyway.. Had him pushing with his feet today and pushing off my chest so that is good :).... The giggles out of him too are gas he has the cheekiest giggle and smile

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My PHN told me on my third that holding them up on your shoulder is a good equivalent for tummy time.I remember also seeing research that a good sling can be good for muscle development too, although I wouldn't rely too much on that.Nothing beats being down on the floor with freedom to move around.

My third hated the playmat.Loathed it on his back or his front.We only ever got max 60seconds before he would howl the place fown.Had to be inventive.He's a chunky 20 month old now, booting around the place not a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I definitely noticed a difference using the pillow, she sleeps so long at night it just wasn't possible to keep turning her head. With the pillow she's quite happy to lie just facing up as opposed to the side, just takes the pressure off and she's definitely not as flat but still a little flat. Yes I was told that too, having them on your chest is equivalent to tummy time, they push themselves off.

I definitely noticed a difference using the pillow, she sleeps so long at night it just wasn't possible to keep turning her head. With the pillow she's quite happy to lie just facing up as opposed to the side, just takes the pressure off and she's definitely not as flat but still a little flat. Yes I was told that too, having them on your chest is equivalent to tummy time, they push themselves off.

Thanks I’ve ordered the clevamama one for nighttime and a different one for daytime naps. My one is the same while she’s generally up and off her head while awake she’s asleep so much and that’s where the damage is being done

So back from our 3mth check and all is well. Said he is doing great very alert all that goes. Only thing is because he is not on his correct centile that we must keep a paeds appointment, just to check all to make sure all is ok. Not too worried as on his dads side everyone is very slight and our first was the same, very petite...

Hope everyone is doing mighty.. God we have a bit of sunshine here today and i cant wait to get out. Must just try and manage to get the ergo on alone haha...

We had himself at the pediatrics unit yesterday so yeahhh we get to start well giving him baby rice...Im like ahhh i was just getting into the swing of things in the mornings.. The are happy with him and his developments just not enough weight for his height, so he said it was a nutrition element... Had his first bit of it today and seemed quite happy although I made it too thick but sure next time i will get it right. Have to get him weighed once a week for two months, which has me thinking about getting a scales, does anyone have a good baby one or did they get one?

Anyone else get paid extra maternity benefit this morning? It always hits my account on a Saturday and I immediately transfer it to another account for budgeting purposes but today I got almost a double payment and can’t see any reason for it. I logged onto my welfare.ie and it just showed the regular payment.

For reference there has been no change to our circumstances as my husband Is just working from home So need need to apply for anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Anyone else get paid extra maternity benefit this morning? It always hits my account on a Saturday and I immediately transfer it to another account for budgeting purposes but today I got almost a double payment and can’t see any reason for it. I logged onto my welfare.ie and it just showed the regular payment.

Social welfare are making double payments for all claims to alleviate pressure on post offices/support social distancing. Some payments were doubled this week, others will double next week and from there on itll be double payments every second week. The week it falls on is dependent on the type of payment eg all maternity benefit should have been doubled this week. Next week it's a different cohort, deserted wives payment is one off the top of my head (stuck out because I didn't know it was a thing). A page on Instagram called Watch Your Back Ireland detailed them all but I'm sure the info is online elsewhere, I'll see if I can find a link to explain.

Thanks for that, thought it could be but funnily enough it’s not quite a full double payment which made me wonder.

Edit: found the link explaining it https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/9326f4-minister-doherty-announces-two-weeks-entitlement-in-a-single-payment/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Thanks for that, thought it could be but funnily enough it’s not quite a full double payment which made me wonder.

That's strange alright.
    Edit: found the link explaining it

Ah great you found it, I came back with it but the post obviously didn't publish.

Anyone taken their baby for vaccinations lately? We are due to go this week but I am petrified of picking up coroavirus. Have been self isolating for weeks as someone in our house is in a vunerable group.

Have you an appointment? I’d ring the go to see what they say. Most gos are doing as little contact work with patients as possible. My sisters little boy had an eye infection and the consultation with the go was totally over the phone and WhatsApp.

Have you an appointment? I’d ring the go to see what they say. Most gos are doing as little contact work with patients as possible. My sisters little boy had an eye infection and the consultation with the go was totally over the phone and WhatsApp.

Yes I have an appointment. Will ring Monday and see what they say. I know a cousin of mine went to her gp last week and he came out to the car to give the vaccines to her baby but I can't see mine doing that. Will wait and see what the gp says Monday.

Well rang GP today. Babies are to go for routine vaccinations as normal during this time. I have to ring when I get there and will be straight in, straight out. No going to waiting room so that's something at least.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I visited the GP last week after a phone consultation to get a prescription for a child.I had to wait at the door, receptionist came out, asked me what I wanted then came straight back out with it.Never entered the surgery, and neither did anyone else while I was there.Hopefully you will have similar.

I was wondering would they do the vaccines, ours isnt due until the end of the month...

I would nearly prefer they come out to the car but well see.. How is everyone getting on

Milly33 wrote: »
    I was wondering would they do the vaccines, ours isnt due until the end of the month...

I would nearly prefer they come out to the car but well see.. How is everyone getting on

My GP wouldn't anyway. I had to wear a mask and gloves and GP had mask and gloves on also. We went straight in, got vaccines and straight out again, no waiting or anything like that. They also wiped down door handles etc. before and after we left. They want as few people as possible going in. While we were waiting outside to go in four people came to the door. None of them were allowed in.

thanks starlady, jes sounds a little surreal... And scary, the waiting room in our GP place is like a sweat box so to be honest id prefer to wait outside and be called in..Did they give you the mask and that or did you have to get your own?

• Advertisement

Milly33 wrote: »
    thanks starlady, jes sounds a little surreal... And scary, the waiting room in our GP place is like a sweat box so to be honest id prefer to wait outside and be called in..Did they give you the mask and that or did you have to get your own?

Yeah it is strange for sure! I doubt they are having people wait and you could always ask them to ring you. The waiting room was empty at my GPs anyway they don't want anyone in there.

I had to get my own you can order them online or some pharmacies have them but ring first to make sure they have them in stock

Advertisement