Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed architect fees

Options
  • 14-02-2019 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm looking at renovating a small cottage in Clare. I've a total budget of 160k, and have been quoted 18k (excl. VAT) by an architect to take the project from initial design through to construction. At 11.2% of the total budget this seems high to me.

I know fees can vary wildly (and I'll get more quotes) but I've been advised that for a fixed fee, as a rule of thumb, architects will generally quote ~10% of construction costs, not total budget. Does that sound correct?

The architect has also indicated that the final quote is subject to change until initial designs (7k) are complete, because later stages could be more complex. Is that standard practice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lois Lance

18k seems very high to me. Its 10 years ago since I built my house in co Meath. Architect charged 2k to draw up plans and another 2k to follow through the construction. My advice would be to shop around as I can't imagine fees have gone up that much. Good luck

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Renovation is very different time wise to a new build

Op get 3 quotes

Advertisement