Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home automation Advice needed

• 14-02-2019 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭

Good morning guys,
    I am looking sound advice and recommendations, recently I had a relative who was involved in a cycling accident which has left him paralysed and I want to install some home automation in his house to make things a bit easier for him. I have some home automation myself and want to implement a few of the same devices for him:
    • Alexa Dot
    • Sonoff 4ch for heating
    • Sonoff bulbs
    • Sonoff 1ch for lights
    • Harmony IR hub working on Philips tv
    My thoughts are to install essentially the same for him but with an Alexa echo and a dot.
    I want to have everything to be a seamless as possible but I know my tv doesn’t work 100% with Alexa, volume and channels don’t change but it turns on and off no problem.
    Essentially my questions are:
    • Can anyone recommend a tv that works very well with Harmony?
    • Does the Sky box work well with Harmony?
    • I know that I am focusing on the basics here lighting, heating and tv. Can you recommend anything else that I should implement?

Wiring isn’t going to be a problem or issue.
    Sorry if I don’t reply to this thread every day I will be talking to his wife in relation to what is available and what she/he would like to install.
    Any comments or help greatly appreciated.
    I apologize in advance if some of these topics have been covered before

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'd imagine a video doorbell would help him, as he wouldn't have to go to the door.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A great idea to help your relative.

Good options and they will work, but if you are willing to spend a little more, I think your relative might get a slightly more reliable experience with the following:

- Google Home, I've both Alexa and GH and I find GH to be much better, gets it right more often.
    Though now that I think of it, the dropin feature and calling features of Alexa might be very useful for your relative to call you easily and communicate with you.
    - Philips Hue for lighting, it is a brilliant system, with great integrations with other systems that could be useful for your relative.
    - Nest Protect smoke alarms. Could send you notification if the alarm goes off and you could call that fire brigade for your relative.
    - Nest Thermostat, it can be linked to the above Nest Protect smoke alarms, so that it automatically cuts of the gas boiler if it detects carbon monoxide, etc.

The video doorbell and IP cameras in general sound like they might be a good idea. Also, perhaps a delicate subject, but perhaps IP cameras inside the house, that you can use to check in on your relative. Obviously with their permission.

I've got volume, etc. working on Harmony with GH, but it definitely isn't the most reliable. Harmony works well with Sky boxes, but there is never a guarantee with it due to IR.

Perhaps a good idea would be a smart TV with Google Assistant or Alexa built in that directly controls the TV. Then use Harmony for the Sky box. At least if the harmony/sky box fails, your neighbour can still use the smart features of the TV to watch Youtube, Netflix, etc. until you come and fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

ted1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine a video doorbell would help him, as he wouldn't have to go to the door.

Video doorbell and a smart Lock like an august for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Thanks guys for the advice, it is all been taken on board.

Advertisement