Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VAG 2.0l and 1.6l diesel engines

• 14-02-2019 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade the Mondeo and am thinking of heading back to VAG after a 5 year break.

I'm looking buying either a 2.0L or 1.6L diesel Passat, 2015 ish

Having only had experience of the trusty old 1.9PD engine, what are the newer engines like? I'm reading bad things about the 1.6 going through EGR valves, so I'm swaying towards a 2.0L.

Am I better of staying with Ford? The Mondeo has been a trooper and appart from a flywheel and clutch change, has been trouble free. I'm just not a fan of the look on the New shape Mondeo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

The 2.0 is pretty good I’ve found. Low down torque, revs well, a bit noisy at idle or when cold but what diesel isn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Mini850 wrote: »
    Having only had experience of the trusty old 1.9PD engine, what are the newer engines like? I'm reading bad things about the 1.6 going through EGR valves, so I'm swaying towards a 2.0L.

2.0 is much better. And is paired with much better DSG gearbox.
    Am I better of staying with Ford? The Mondeo has been a trooper and appart from a flywheel and clutch change, has been trouble free. I'm just not a fan of the look on the New shape Mondeo.

It seems it ate two cup-cakes too many, a bit heavy around the back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The EA189 1.6 had an appetite for EGR valves, the 1.6 in a 2015-ish car is an EA288 engine and doesn't seem to be that prone to EGR failure at all. It was nearly a given that you'd need an EGR on the older 1.6, this isn't the case with the newer one.

The 1.6 and 2.0 are very closely related, both are reasonably reliable to be fair. Cooling system issues seem to be cropping up but nothing that cant be sorted.

Advertisement