Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef 2019

Options
  • 09-02-2019 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭

New series starting on BBC1 Monday 11/2 9pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oh man - I was tucking into some chicken myself tonight while watching MC - just as they showed Greg pulling apart the raw chicken thigh :eek:

Bleurgh.

(And then she said she thought she hadn't done so bad :D)

A lot ropier crowd tonight, looks like.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

just watched the 1st episode last night - the 22 year old girl shows promise for someone of her age

• Registered Users Posts: 43,880 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Christ...

John: "That artichoke puree was divine.."

*next dish*

John: "That onion puree was beautiful.."

*next dish*

John: "That celeriac puree was amazing.."

John, just liquidise your food for fecks sake!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I thought the professional chef tonight was a bit of a dick.
    I appreciated the honesty of the contestant who looks like Jeremy Corbyn when he said he didn't enjoy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Basq wrote: »
    John, just liquidise your food for fecks sake!

He is going to love being an old person with no teeth. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

i am really liking this season's Masterchef.. not as good as 2017 though - I loved Saliha.. will never forget her..

Posy wrote: »
    I thought the professional chef tonight was a bit of a dick.
    I appreciated the honesty of the contestant who looks like Jeremy Corbyn when he said he didn't enjoy it!

He was one of the Professionals finalists and seemed perfectly nice when hosting a group of contestants a year or two ago, yet he's being much harder on the amateurs. Maybe it's that stupid beard he grew in the meantime.

I'm just catching up on knockout week now - there seem to have been loads of episodes (one of which clashed with something else and didn't record :mad:).

I think I'm on the second eight cooking off - and they're all doing terribly well so far!

But one thing struck me - am I remembering wrong, or did John curl his nose a few weeks back at a duck egg with duck breast in a dish, and slate the contestant for it? Cos he was fairly raving over the same combination just now.....

Awww, is it the Scottish chef who's a bit of a dick?? I really liked him when he was a contestant. Seems OK so far (I'm about five minutes in, though!)

But Holy God, what size of a truffle was he grating from for the first dish?? :eek: That must be a few (or a lot of) grandsworth in his paw :eek:

• Advertisement

I liked the 'relay' cooking they did last night. Right decision was made, as the team that won were definitely stronger and more organised.

Annnabel seems like hard work..

Annnabel seems like hard work..

How so? Haven't seen tonight's episode yet but I thought she seemed lovely, and very talented indeed.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    How so? Haven't seen tonight's episode yet but I thought she seemed lovely, and very talented indeed.
    Real chip on her shoulder throughout tonight's episode..

Everyone in her team seemed rattled by the restaurant challenge. Annabel in particular seemed to have been thrown off her game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tough on Alex. Was maybe consistently the best cook throughout but has one bad round and goes out before the final week.

Thomas makes the final week even though he’s had a few lucky escapes.

Real chip on her shoulder throughout tonight's episode..

Watching this now.... I see what you mean! She was almost mutinous through the mass cooking challenge. Don't think she's a team player at all.

Really shocked by the elimination, but at this stage I suppose they can't give second chances, otherwise Delia should have gone. I suppose Geoff, Jill and Irini will probably be the final three, unless we get another shock elimination. I'd be happy if any of them won, they've all shown skill and a desire to improve.

Irini is driving me mad at this stage with all her folksy granny act and dithering and looking like she'll burst into tears the whole time... no doubt she's a fantastic cook but I'd be glad to see her eliminated.

Very rough on Alex to go out, but in that round she was miles behind the others. I'd say she'll be kicking herself up and down the garden for some time to come!

I love Delia, hope she goes the distance, she's long been my favourite (along with Gilly - and Alex :( )

I like Delia, but she's too inconsistent and if Alex hadn't messed up to that degree, she'd have gone. However, some contestants do come into their own in the last challenges and she could well do that. I'd be happy if she did, because she has a natural talent.

• Advertisement

These challenges they dream up for the finalists get ever more tenuous..... the food we serve today might be a bit better than what they ate at the North Pole - oh really???

Geoff and Irini have got away (totally if I recall rightly) with only cooking food from their preferred area - Italian and Greek. I don't remember that happening before, the contestants always got jolted in to some cuisine that they weren't used to or comfortable with.

O/T - man, those eyebrows on RF :eek:

Gilly's dish just looks like a heart attack on a plate.

Right decision tonight I felt. Although I feel sorry for whoever goes first in finals week- poor Thomas is missing out on a trip to Hong Kong! He was my least favourite though, so I was glad he went over Jilly, who I'm rooting for.

It was funny seeing Delia say that she'll have to ask for more time off work, Masterchef must play havoc with your work schedule. I never gave it much thought before. You'd probably use up about 3 years of annual leave if you make it far in the competition! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Watching this now.... I see what you mean! She was almost mutinous through the mass cooking challenge. Don't think she's a team player at all.

I think she was rattled once she realised how out of her depth she was as team leader.

Some of the Hong Kong cookery was amazing last night (?) - just watched it this evening. Great leadership and teamwork from Delia. She's looking stronger all the time. Iriini is looking like she's flagging after being so consistently strong since the start. Still anybody's game, though.

This is a very strong final four - no makeweights. I'll be sad to see any of them go.

Oooh, twist. Geoff's fell short a bit.

Delia is in the final! Happy for her.

... And Geoff is gone. Genuinely gutted for him. He had a faultless competition up to this.

Jilly to win, but the way Delia has been performing in the last few challenges I could see her snatching it. Glad she's proved me wrong.

Holy God, that Raymond Blanc food looks bloody AMAZING.

He's just gone on my list of things to experience before I die. Preferably long before I die!

Poor Delia, I thought she was going to give up or blow up at one point. That must be wickedly stressful!

And fair play to Gilly doing that chocolate dessert - that looks insanely delicate and difficult!

So, who do we think will lift the trophy?

I'm hoping Delia or Gilly - can't decide between them who I prefer!

And good woman Gilly for losing 10 stone :eek:

• Advertisement

They're protesting sooooo much about Delia's dishes, especially the dessert, that I'm convinced she HAS to win!

Advertisement