Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones/Red Cow LUAS P&R/Heuston

Options
  • 14-02-2019 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi,

Need to get from Greystones to Heuston South Quarter daily for 8.50am. I have searched on boards.ie and the last post was 6.5 years ago.

I’d be interested to hear from anybody who travels regularly to either

A) Red Cow and gets the LUAS into town
    B) Drives directly on St Johns Road West

What is your travel time with either option?

I did a test run of DART to Connolly and LUAS to Heuston which was 2 hours each way. 20 hours a week on travel

The 145 from Ballywaltrim is not an option as it cuts it too fine after crèche drop off.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

2 hours seems extreme, google reckons 1h20 by Dart and Luas. You can also get the 25a/25b bus from outside Pearse which might be quicker. 7.24 Dart should have you there for 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

loyatemu wrote: »
    2 hours seems extreme, google reckons 1h20 by Dart and Luas. You can also get the 25a/25b bus from outside Pearse which might be quicker. 7.24 Dart should have you there for 9.

Sorry - I mean 2 hours for leaving crèche at 7.05am, park and ride Greystones, 7.24am DART, LUAS from Connolly. Arriving shortly before 9am.

I am trying to figure if I left Greystones at 7.05 and negotiate Glen of the Downs/M50 could I expect to be at Red Cow in 45 mins. Apparently only 20min LUAS from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

7.24 Dart to Pearse ....arrive 8.16

8.27 Bus 145 from Trinity College
    Arrive Heuston Stn. @ 8.40.
    Download TFI app to your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭SteM

I haven't done that trip at that hour but the M11/M50 in the morning can be a lottery. Greystones to Red Cow could take 45 minutes one day and 55 minutes the next depending. Luas from Red Cow could be packed by the time it gets there and sometimes it's running but with delays which you'll only find out about when you arrive.

At least on the Dart/Bus your journey time will be quite regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Get 84X to Quays and 25a/b 79/a, Leaves you at side entrance to Heuston. I do this from Loughlinstown in 1:20 so probably add 20 mins extra for Greystones

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I drive it to St James' most days.
    If I leave at 6:30, I'll be in James' for about 7:20 or so.
    Wouldn't chance leaving any later than that as traffic seems to be building a fair bit by 6:30 already.

Coming home is another story...

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

I’m with Jammyc on this. Been doing this run by car for ten years now and the leave time from Greystones has got earlier and earlier. If you leave any time after 6:30 the stretch of road from Newtown to Bray south is, more often than not, solid until about 9am. The rest of the journey at peak commuting time is a real lottery. I’ve know it at times to take as little as 45 mins and as long as 2 hours!

I too have take the Connolly DART /LUAS combo and spent 2 hours in transit (timetables mean nothing on a single track line!)

It seems to me that the only reliable option is that suggested by uch, the 84x, it appears to be the most reliable and logistically workable for you. If I didn’t need a car as part of my work, I’d consider it too. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

OP do you do the creche drop off every morning? I assume it only opens at 7am? Is there anyone else that can share this, or take turns? So that you could leave earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Thats 4 X 5 = 20

20 Hours a week, working for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KiloDelta

lililanny wrote: »
    OP do you do the creche drop off every morning? I assume it only opens at 7am? Is there anyone else that can share this, or take turns? So that you could leave earlier.

Yes, crèche opens at 7am but I only have to do the drop 3 times at most (when husband is working night shift - does not finish until 9am) He drives the N11 on his days and leaves prior to 6.30am, similarly to posters above to beat traffi so taking turns is option for days.

I really appreciate you all posting your input and suggestions. Thank you for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Can I ask, what are the 06:54 and 07:24 DART services like? Capacity-wise, since they start in Greystones anyway, I assume I wouldn't have much trouble getting a seat? Is there much capacity for bikes at the station itself to leave there for the day?

And dare I ask what the return trip is like for someone who would be at Connolly at around 6pm? I assume standing until the crowd clears a bit around Dun Laoghaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Can I ask, what are the 06:54 and 07:24 DART services like? Capacity-wise, since they start in Greystones anyway, I assume I wouldn't have much trouble getting a seat? Is there much capacity for bikes at the station itself to leave there for the day?

yes, you'll get a seat from Greystones. The only services that are full-ish leaving Greystones are the 0748 Commuter and 0754 Dart.
    And dare I ask what the return trip is like for someone who would be at Connolly at around 6pm? I assume standing until the crowd clears a bit around Dun Laoghaire?

If you're getting on at Connolly you'll generally get a seat, it's usually standing room only from Tara and Pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement