Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance renewal rip-off

Options
  • 14-02-2019 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

We have just had our renewal quote (if you can call it that) for my wife's car. We had a claim for a small fender bender in 2017, the first and only claim in 19yrs. Last year our renewal was €1391, this year €2011. Our problem is that the car is 2005 and one of the named drivers is under 25. So now some companies won't even quote because we have a young driver, some won't quote because the car is old, and some even won't quote because we have had a claim. I thought after the EU came in and exposed the underhanded tactics of the Insurance companies that things were improving, but obviously not. We cannot afford to buy a new car and we cannot afford the renewal, so my wife will probably have to give up work as she is reliant of the car to get to work. How can anyone stand up to this rip-off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Call a broker. The premium rise is about €12 a week, would it really necessitate your wife quitting her job over?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Allinall

You would be seen as a very high risk to an insurer.

Old car, young named driver and a claim doesn’t bode well.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

But we had all these issues last year as well, it doesn't justify this massive increase. and I cannot see how one claim in 19yrs suddenly makes us a high risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

It's not 1 claim in 19 years, it's 1 claim in 2 years.

Have you tried taking the 25 year old off the insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

With the price quoted is it any wonder there is a spike in uninsured drivers on the roads.

They are a law unto themselves.

Between 2015 & 2018 mine went up by 100% and I didn’t even ask for any form of assistance such as breakdown or windscreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

kig wrote: »
    We have just had our renewal quote (if you can call it that) for my wife's car. We had a claim for a small fender bender in 2017, the first and only claim in 19yrs. Last year our renewal was €1391, this year €2011. Our problem is that the car is 2005 and one of the named drivers is under 25. So now some companies won't even quote because we have a young driver, some won't quote because the car is old, and some even won't quote because we have had a claim. I thought after the EU came in and exposed the underhanded tactics of the Insurance companies that things were improving, but obviously not. We cannot afford to buy a new car and we cannot afford the renewal, so my wife will probably have to give up work as she is reliant of the car to get to work. How can anyone stand up to this rip-off?

Cars over 10 years of age are disproportionately a greater risk from an insurer standpoint (so they tell us), coupled with a recent claim, you're looking at a justifiable increase, from their perspective. When it comes to financial products the EU has very little bearing on the Irish market ( see the last bank collapse here as evidence of their toothlessness). The fact that you cant buy insurance from a French or German based company or a mortgage from a dutch bank proves financial products do not fall under the auspices of the EU, and unfortunately you are slave to the extortionate irish system with their grossly uncompetitive prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Have you called your insurer to discuss the renewal at all?
    They may drop it a bit if they think they'll lose you.

Also, shop round and make calls. I typically move to a new insurer every year or two to save money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Advertisement