Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service Take Home Pay

• 14-02-2019 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭

So I just accepted a post in the civil service. I am 26, single no kids and will be starting on 32000 (approx). I will be moving to Dublin and want to budget; especially for rent. My question is how much will I take home after tax/ pension etc to spend ? I've only historically worked in the private sector abroad so am unsure on the level of taxes etc to expect. It'd be great to know before I start house hunting and sign myself up for a rent I will be unable to afford, especially in Dublin.

Also: Are there any other benefits I should try and avail of while working in the civil service that may not be automatically clear?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Podgerz wrote: »
    So I just accepted a post in the civil service. I am 26, single no kids and will be starting on 32000 (approx). I will be moving to Dublin and want to budget; especially for rent. My question is how much will I take home after tax/ pension etc to spend ? I've only historically worked in the private sector abroad so am unsure on the level of taxes etc to expect. It'd be great to know before I start house hunting and sign myself up for a rent I will be unable to afford, especially in Dublin.

Also: Are there any other benefits I should try and avail of while working in the civil service that may not be automatically clear?

Thanks

You will be getting about 450 a week. There's not really any other benefits that will put cash in your pocket other than paid maternity leave, paid sick leave etc. There are a small number of departments where you might be able to do paid overtime but its not common.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

I would say you would be closer to €475 a week given the recent changes to the pension structure for new entrants etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

first make sure your tax cert is up to date otherwise you'll be paying emergency tax which can take a huge chunk out of your pay cheque. I think you'll be netting approximately €2000 after taxes & deductions each month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,897 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

use this https://taxcalc.ie/budget-2019/

select "Public Servant" under "You are"

will give you net annual pay

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yaya13

Can I ask what you pay for pension a week as a civil servant (co) starting off. Approx 29k gross per annumn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

875 for the year, 16.83 a week. Figures below from taxcalc.ie, left the defaults in so your milage may vary. Formatting is poop, sorry.

Gross Income

Civil Service Pension

Taxable

Cutoff

Credits

Universal Social Charge

PRSI

Gross Tax

Income Tax

Net Income

Per month

Per fortnight

Per week

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yaya13

Great thanks v much for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I make that 3% pension contribution. Is there also a 1.5% spouse & child deduction or is that included in the 3% pension deduction. PRSI will also rise to 4.1% later in the year. October I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Depending on where you are living / if you are commuting, you could look into this:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel-and-recreation/public-transport/public-transport-commuter-tickets-and-tax/

My dept runs it with deduction at source.

Advertisement