Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview issue

Options
  • 14-02-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Any advice would be welcome on this.

I had a job interview yesterday for different department in my organisation.
    It was an internal competition only. I haven't received official word yet but it has been alluded to that this is a job earmarked for someone in that department.

I left the interview in a bit of a daze. It was a 3 person panel, no HR representative, and it was over in 15 minutes. The whole process felt really rushed, interviewers cutting me off as I was finishing a sentence on more than one occasion. I haven't experienced an interview like that before in a professional setting. It feels like it was a very unfair situation and I don't believe I was given the opportunity to show my skills and experience. When I was invited for interview I was told it would be 30-40 minutes of an interview.

A colleague has advised me to speak to HR about it but I'm unsure if there's any point.
    The department is one I was very interested in but tbh I feel like this would really put me off applying there again.

Has anyone experienced similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

It could be the case that they know who they want for the position but still need to interview others in order to tick some boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

You should contact HR and ask for a copy of the formal (and informal) review process in relation to the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So before doing anything ask yourself are there likely to be more opportunities you would like a chance for ??

If yes I’d urge caution in creating many ripples. It’s
    Not uncommon for positions to be earmarked, obviously this one was, but perhaps a future position will have more open competition. Like it or not it’s just how things work, creating a stir over this will not go I’m noticed and may likely work against you going forward as a “non team player”.

Always remember no matter how friendly, HR work for the company not the employees, typically they know if positions are earmarked. They discuss employees with managers, often I’ve seen HR give manufacturing a heads up that an employee is to be watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Yep, I think Scallywag and Brian are spot on. You need to look long term, don't rock the boat, at least not immediately anyway. Take the weekend to think about but I would be following what Brian/Scallywag say.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some workplaces are tied up in red tape that requires them to hold a competition for all open roles. The aim is to prevent nepotism and buddy setups where only the privileged few ever get promoted.

But realistically all it does is create a farce like you experienced, where they open the role, accept applications, perform shoddy interviews and then award the job to the person they wanted.

There's little you can do about this. You can raise a case with HR, but it's not going to get you the job. Even if it did, you would be surrounded by people who resent you being there because you "bullied" your way into it.

When the phone call comes, make sure they know you're still very interested in the department and ask for feedback on what you can do to help improve your chances next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I think most people are aware of instances of sham internal interviews held by companies for box ticking purposes with the chosen candidate already determined but an interview lasting just 15 minutes is so obviously blatant they don't seem to be worried about it being flagged to HR

I wouldn't waste much time or energy worrying about this particular role or department but understandably it would make you cynical about applying for other internal roles across the company. This type of nonsense sees companies lose good talent

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think this is pretty standard in a lot of large companies to be honest when a candidate is earmarked for the job.
    No point rocking the boat OP, instead work to make sure you are the next one earmarked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I wouldn't complain to HR about the team managers you want to work for. It will just make them never want to hire you in future.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Bad form of them not to conduct a full interview to give you some interview experience even if they have a candidate earmarked. You'd think they'd at least give you that much for going to the trouble of applying. As others have said, frustrating as it is, it's probably best not to rock the boat if you think you might like to move into that department (or any other department) in the company.

Advertisement