Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Clean Bathroom Tiles?

Options
  • 14-02-2019 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

What's the best way technique to clean dirty tiles?

Lots of different potions online

Lime, bleach, baking soda, vinegar?

THANK YOU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,901 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

First I did a baking soda/vinegar mix to get a lot of the heavy dirt out of the grout and then finished it off with a grouting pen to get the white fully back.

Grouting pens are great and extremely easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Hi Oisin,

Do you spray that mix on? How long do you leave it on for?

Great tip about the grouting pen!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Not tiles but I used lemon juice to clean seriously difficult hard water stains off glass shower door and it was like magic, delighted with the result. The acid in the lemon juice just melts it off. You could give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I bought a sonic scrubber online, (as recommended by mrs hinch!!!). It’s like an electric toothbrush for household tasks, and it’s the business for that kind of job!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sugar soap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Elbow grease, works every time
    Failing that Mr Muscle bathroom works great

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sugar soap

Actually read the safety instructions if doing this, can do rather nasty long term stuff to your eyes/nose/mouth. The cuddly sounding name lulls people in to a false sense of security!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

L1011 wrote: »
    Actually read the safety instructions if doing this, can do rather nasty long term stuff to your eyes/nose/mouth. The cuddly sounding name lulls people in to a false sense of security!

It's great stuff and it works

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Bathroom spray or Cif Cream.

Use some bleach if they are really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Regularly/frequently is probably the best approach.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    Regularly/frequently is probably the best approach.

What would you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

Gael23 wrote: »
    Bathroom spray or Cif Cream.

Use some bleach if they are really bad

How would you reach the higher parts of tiling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Milena009 wrote: »
    How would you reach the higher parts of tiling?

With a cloth wrapped around a sweeping brush.

Fairy Liquid is great for cleaning tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Gael23 wrote: »
    What would you use?

It depends on how far you have let it go; if it’s just a week or so then any halfway competent cleaning product should work. If it’s mildew then it might require vinegar, bleach/baking soda. A decent bathroom type cleaner and elbow grease is the easiest method. If grout has become discoloured or substantially mouldy the I would consider raking it out and regroutingz

Then Once you have it in good order, keep up a regular cleaning regime. Each time I shower, I make a point of hosing down the tiles, the screen and the tray to eliminate as much of the residue for skin, hair, cleaning products (shampoo/shower gel) as this is what gives rise to the mess/dirty ness. Plain water is the best cleaning product.

With a cloth wrapped around a sweeping brush.
    Either this or one of the long brushes for cleaning windows

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I got these; https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WKHGQS3/
    Put them onto a drill, and the yellow brush + a bit of Cif, and it cleaned the tiles very well.

the_syco wrote: »
    Put them onto a drill, and the yellow brush + a bit of Cif, and it cleaned the tiles very well.

Would the Cif not go everywhere with the spinning brush?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

the_syco wrote: »

Sonic scrubber at £18 99 less UK VAT is better value surely? https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LVV6THF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_WPFYV0M53TS47CWX8K24

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Caranica wrote: »
    Sonic scrubber at £18 99 less UK VAT is better value surely? https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LVV6THF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_WPFYV0M53TS47CWX8K24
    If you don't have a drill, maybe. Also, take into consideration that you'll probably have to recharge it a few times to complete your bathroom tiles.

I also got this for £34.24 (it's now £40); https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071L9QVSR/ but I intend to use this for other jobs around the house. Dislike the battery drills, as I found I kept having to pause my work to recharge the batteries.

Oven cleaner works very well, especially on greasy tile splashback behind cooker.

Spray some on, leave for an hour, everything just glides off easily.

Can costs less than a fiver.

• Advertisement

Jake1 wrote: »
    Oven cleaner works very well, especially on greasy tile splashback behind cooker.

Spray some on, leave for an hour, everything just glides off easily.

Can costs less than a fiver.

Unless it’s really disgusting I wouldn’t use a product that strong. A liberal application of Kitchen cleaner or some Cif is all you need there

Advertisement