Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi a6 fan running after turning off. Is this DPF regen?

• 14-02-2019 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

2014 audi a6 2.0 tdi. Fan runs sometimes for a few minutes after engine turns off.

I'm not long over to diesel, always drove petrol, we also have a 2014 530d in the house which I haven't noticed this doing.

Read online it may be the DPF regenerating. The car gets at least 2 good motorway spins a week so its not tipping around town or anything like that. But today I just did 2 short drives on it and it's done it.

Just making sure it's not anything to worry about.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Nothing to worry about, very common on the A6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

2014 audi a6 2.0 tdi. Fan runs sometimes for a few minutes after engine turns off.

I'm not long over to diesel, always drove petrol, we also have a 2014 530d in the house which I haven't noticed this doing.

Read online it may be the DPF regenerating. The car gets at least 2 good motorway spins a week so its not tipping around town or anything like that. But today I just did 2 short drives on it and it's done it.

Just making sure it's not anything to worry about.
    Normal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

Have the same on a 08 1.9tdi VW Touran. Is that normal or dpf regen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭micks_address

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Have the same on a 08 1.9tdi VW Touran. Is that normal or dpf regen

dont think its regen.. on our 172 diesel octavia fan nearly always runs after car is switched off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

My understanding is that it happens when a regen has been cut short or had just finished and you've switched the car off, the fans need to run at max to bring the temps down quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

tossy wrote: »
    My understanding is that it happens when a regen has been cut short or had just finished and you've switched the car off, the fans need to run at max to bring the temps down quickly.

This makes sense. It's only happened twice in the time I've had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wcooba

Yes - it's caused by interrupted dpf regen. Happened with my previous 2.0TDI and even more often with my current 3.0. If you observe it few times in a row - take car for a good spin while keeping higher revs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

wcooba wrote: »
    Yes - it's caused by interrupted dpf regen. Happened with my previous 2.0TDI and even more often with my current 3.0. If you observe it few times in a row - take car for a good spin while keeping higher revs.

Hasn't happened since. And both times previously was after short enough spins. Car gets plenty of decent spins we took a trip down through wicklow today. I'm alternating between the 2 cars if herself doesn't get the a6 out for a decent spin I take it out myself for work. Nice switching between the 2 cars and I still can't pick my favourite. Lucky position to be in I suppose.
    As an aside, I was in an audi garage on Saturday for a look at the new a6 more out of curiosity than anything but took it out for a spin anyway. Brilliant looking machine. But 60k for an s line is steep considering the 2 cars we have in our house for 40k.

Advertisement