Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy LARD??

Options
  • 14-02-2019 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

We eat a lot of fried food and hence consume a lot of sunflower vegetable oil and want to switch back to deep and shallow frying in animal fat like 'Ye Olden Days' when everything tasted better.

Found Beef suet/tallow in Tesco and given that the legendary McDonalds fries from days of yore were cooked in this, we had high hopes. However neither the taste nor residue on the home cut chips we deep fried in it were to our liking. Asked my mother and she said that she and her mother always deep fried in Pork Lard, not Beef tallow.

Hence my question. Why cant I find Lard anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lard is pork fat, always has been. Have you tried a proper butchers like Hayes on Florence Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Where are you based? Most proper butchers should have it.

James Whelan butchers will post it out of you can't source it locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,009 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would have trouble thinking of a normal butcher that *didn't* have it for sale. However traditional old-fashioned chips were more commonly cooked in beef fat than in lard so you may be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think chips were traditionally cooked in clarified beef dripping rather than rendered beef fat (suet)? That would certainly give it a different flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,604 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Pretty sure Lidl have beef dripping in at the mo...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Dunnes have packs from James Whelan I think

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

Try your local Polish supermarket, I usually get mine there. It’s great for short crust pastry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

twignme wrote: »
    Try your local Polish supermarket, I usually get mine there. It’s great for short crust pastry!

Came here to say the same thing! It's called smalec in Polish - just be sure to get the white block of rendered lard; there's another kind of smalec that's seasoned and has fried bits in it that's for spreading, not cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Dunnes have packs from James Whelan I think

Dunnes own James Whelan Butchers

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

+1 for the blocks of smalec in the Eastern European section on the supermarket. My local Supervalu stocks it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The White House.

Advertisement